COPE'S Solicitors - Have they sent you false demands?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It has come to our attention that Cope's Solicitors (who act on behalf of Arrow Global and others) have recently sent out letters to people who are in the middle of court action with them.

Essentially, they are claiming, falsely, that they have been awarded judgment in your case and are demanding payment of £50 per month. They then continue to threaten an attachment of earnings order.

If you have received such a notice, will you please post here. We will then be in touch to advise you what action you should take.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

High, got my letter last week claiming judgement and that they WOULD be granted an attachment to earning. Offered to accept the £50 a month (for now) routine.

All a load of rubbish as my case was stayed 18 months ago due to no CCA or NoA. Court confirms case remains stayed and unlikely to re-open due to delays.

Steve

I have sent you a PM with some details... Thanks for your response everyone.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

hi i received one of these last week and rang them about it they apologised and said it had been sent in error, but i am still awaiting my cca from them which i requested back in july.
you MUST report them to the Solicitor Regulation Authority, this is a professional conduct issue which they MUST be taken to task for

Yep - I got the same letter from them last week even though my case was stayed at the end of last year.

After checking with the court that the case was still stayed, I phoned Cope's to ask what was going on. They said that my letter was part of a batch produced and sent out in error. I don't believe the [edited] for a minute. What should I do??

Edited by jonni2bad

• 3 weeks later...

Well done.

I highlighted the case to the SRA the other week and we have had a response by email and now letter, saying they are going to appoint one of their team to the case and investigate this.

It may take up to 6 weeks though...

However, the ball is rolling folks! :D

However, the ball is rolling folks! :D

Was that Cope's left or right one ?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

If I could just mention this is not only a breach of the rules but it may also I strongly expect be a breach of the Fraud Act 2006 which of course is a serious criminal offense. To demand money using false claims is without doubt a major plank of the Act

However no doubt this firm will argue a mistake & the CPS may well accept that argument - nevertheless if can be proven that even after being warned one assumes by disgruntled consumers that such demands had been sent yet they continued to do so that may be enough to make the CPS consider a criminal prosecution

The content of the letters sent out appears too specific to suggest an 'administrative error'. To allege judgment has been entered when it hasn't is one thing, but to specify repayment schedules supposedly determined by the court takes things to a much higher level of detail.

In each case the amounts are different, so it would be disingenuous in the least to suggest some kind of automated or even clerical/rogue error. IMHO they are bang to rights.

furthermore no court would make an award of monthly payments without first obtaining a list of income and expenditure from the defendant so there is no way on earth that a precise monthly repayment figure can have mistakenly been obtained by copes or cohens

Excellent point, diddydicky (haven't been called that myself since public school - where did you get that name?). Your analysis of the court process shows this up for the outrageous [problem] it is. I have a bad feeling that a knuckle-rap and an apology for an unfortunate admin error is all that will emerge from this.

For reference, here is a copy of the letter they sent out (this one being to me).

I have seen others and the only difference is the specifics of the person involved - name and address, claim number and debt value etc.

COPES.pdf

My complaint to the SRA was based upon there being multiple examples of this letter, rather than specifically about my own letter, so hopefully it will act to highlight the true nature of Cope's tactics.

As the great Jim Royle would say, "Admin error my ****"