COPE'S Solicitors - Have they sent you false demands?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the people involved so far have all checked with the courts and been informed that no CCJ has been awarded.

Yeah! then it won't do any harm to get it in writing just in case MCOL claim it's an 'admin' error cos the ones I have seen have been I understand only confirmed via the telephone & we ALL know how unreliable the phones can be:rolleyes:

Copes have admitted the error to me (or should I say 'my representative') and sent an apology.

I wonder if they would have been so quick to apologise to those not being represented... hmmmm :rolleyes:

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
If they accept & retain any payments based on these letters knowing they are false I suggest they will be guilty of fraud

do we know of anyone who has made such a payment?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

MODS -

could I ask that a similar sticky is made for Howard Cohen

Been trying for ages to get as many examples as poss of their attempts at this together!

Thanks

NcF

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

There are a number of avenues that could be explored.

First, the OFT Guidance is clear that a company employing another business to collect debt has third party responsibility for their actions. It follows that where a solicitor is instructed by a DCA (especially where they are inhouse or 'rent-a-sol'), not only does the DCA have thord party liability, but also the original creditor. So, as well as reporting the solicitors to the SRA (see below), complaints could also be made to the DCAs and original creditors, copied to OFT for information. We have already seen that banks are perfectly happy for their agents to indulge in non-compliant practices - until they get caught, and then, as in the case of 1st Credit, they take their business away.

Perhaps a co-ordinated complaint could be made to the SRA. In other words, details are collated and passed in a batch to the SRA, demonstrating that these are not isolated errors, but either gross ineptitude or deliberate actions.

The media may be useful, but I suspect that this again needs some coordination to get serious journo interest.

I've been approached by the media so I'm interested in communicating with anyone who has a story their willing to tell on camera.

I'm particularly interested in stories that involve firms such as Marlins Financial Services, Phoenix Recoveries, HFO Services/Roxburghe, HBOS, RBS.- I understand that Marlins will be of most interest at the moment including any solicitors who are exceeding their authority by breaching guidelines

Anyone willing to talk on camera should PM me with a link to their thread if possible - thanks

I've been approached by the media so I'm interested in communicating with anyone who has a story their willing to tell on camera.

I'm particularly interested in stories that involve firms such as Marlins Financial Services, Phoenix Recoveries, HFO Services/Roxburghe, HBOS, RBS.- I understand that Marlins will be of most interest at the moment including any solicitors who are exceeding their authority by breaching guidelines

Anyone willing to talk on camera should PM me with a link to their thread if possible - thanks

JonCris, this may be worth a new thread on its own.

I am a journalist, but I'm struggling to get interest in this through the usual channels. We really need a victim, sadly - that's what gets things noticed. A great big smelly hook to hang our grievances on.

There are a number of avenues that could be explored.

First, the OFT Guidance is clear that a company employing another business to collect debt has third party responsibility for their actions. It follows that where a solicitor is instructed by a DCA (especially where they are inhouse or 'rent-a-sol'), not only does the DCA have thord party liability, but also the original creditor. So, as well as reporting the solicitors to the SRA (see below), complaints could also be made to the DCAs and original creditors, copied to OFT for information. We have already seen that banks are perfectly happy for their agents to indulge in non-compliant practices - until they get caught, and then, as in the case of 1st Credit, they take their business away.

Perhaps a co-ordinated complaint could be made to the SRA. In other words, details are collated and passed in a batch to the SRA, demonstrating that these are not isolated errors, but either gross ineptitude or deliberate actions.

The media may be useful, but I suspect that this again needs some coordination to get serious journo interest.

This has to be the best way forward, at the moment it appears to be trickling.. if the OFT / SRA / media were presented with a "group" of complaints then it would be taken more seriously.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Personaly I would think a thread for each DCA, with members subbing to the one which concerns them, who have a valid complaint against that DCA.

When enough members have subscribed for each DCA, they are requested to fill in an online complaint form which is then sent to an appointed person so they can be sent to the OFT in one large bundle so the OFT can't say there is not enough complaints to investigate.

Maybe at the same time a copy of the bundle could be sent to the likes of Watchdog with a covering note so they could investigate themselves and also monitor what the OFT does.

Personaly I would think a thread for each DCA, with members subbing to the one which concerns them, who have a valid complaint against that DCA.

When enough members have subscribed for each DCA, they are requested to fill in an online complaint form which is then sent to an appointed person so they can be sent to the OFT in one large bundle so the OFT can't say there is not enough complaints to investigate.

Maybe at the same time a copy of the bundle could be sent to the likes of Watchdog with a covering note so they could investigate themselves and also monitor what the OFT does.

This is very much the sort of thing I was thinking of. However, I think that in the first instance each person affected should complain in writing to Copes. Firstly, they should have an opportunity to resolve the issues - a complaint to a regulator will be much more powerful in these circumstances. Secondly, it will be interesting to see if their replies are consistent (and/or templates), and lastly the replies will be useful evidence.

• 3 months later...

Trick, I am just about to send you a pm in respect of this post. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 weeks later...

Heads up - Radio 5 live tomorrow Sunday at about 7.30pm

Excellent!

The link below contains a pdf file that shows a letter sent to a member;

just another covert tactic that is employed and;

in this situation obviously to obtain a default judgement!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2449237.html

Disgraceful tactics.

AC

• Haha 1