How long should a washing machine last?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My washing machine is 21 months old. Bought from Argos, worked perfectly till the drum stopped turning one day.

It wasn't the cheapest nor the dearest machine; it's a Servis with a 1600 spin speed. I think it was about £200.

It was out of its 12 month guarantee, so I called a repair guy and he repaired it for £40. Four weeks later the same fault developed and the repair guy refuses to come and mend it again (no reason given). I have reported him to trading standards who say I can sue him as a repair ought to last more than 4 weeks. However, I paid him cash in hand and have no receipt so if I went to court it would be my word against his that he ever repaired it.

Today I read on here that a warranty is in addition to your legal rights.

Question is, how long should a washing machine last, and would I have any luck complaining to Argos now?

Bundly

You're right - the warranty is given by the manufacturer to the end user, but you have no legal relationship with the manufacturer as you purchased from the seller. (Argos, in this case)

The Sale of Goods Act states products should be fit for purpose and of sound quality, in laymans terms. The question is what does this mean in your case - that would have to be decided by a Court, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to contact Argos to complain about the breakdown.

I do have a fear that Argos will put their hands in the air and say "sorry, guv, not us because you've had it repaired by a third party", though. Maybe we can deal with that when it happens, as I think they may have a point there. (Depending on what the repairer did and if he's prepared to support you in your compliant)

hi,

not wanting to put a downer on you. however, i used to work in white goods retail and once you go outside your 12 month warranty your retailer will not do anything for you. In fact once you've gone beyond the 28 days the retailer will only pass you back to the manufacturer anyway. You will probable only have something to complain about if the machine broke down for the first time within the first 12 months.

I'd say you're best going back to argos to let them know and see if they'll do anything. Then asking them for the contact information for servis and take it up with them.

Good luck--

Going by what you've said it sounds like your motor brushes were worn. it sounds like matey has just swapped them over and that kept the machine going for a few more weeks, and £40 is a very cheap repair

I would buy a set of brushes, no more than £20 £30 quid and repair it yourself ;)

Ive done loads of 'em

hi,

not wanting to put a downer on you. however, i used to work in white goods retail and once you go outside your 12 month warranty your retailer will not do anything for you. In fact once you've gone beyond the 28 days the retailer will only pass you back to the manufacturer anyway. You will probable only have something to complain about if the machine broke down for the first time within the first 12 months.

I'd say you're best going back to argos to let them know and see if they'll do anything. Then asking them for the contact information for servis and take it up with them.

Good luck--

If any seller refuses to deal with a problem they should be reported to Consumer Direct. It does not matter how much time has passed - if there is a breach of contract then it is an issue with the seller. There should be little or no need to go to the manufacturer.

The trouble with a washing machine, in a house full of people, is that you cannot live without it, and so I have already bought a new one (with a five-year warranty this time!!!)

I do have the space to hang on to the old one if I want to start a big fight with Argos. At least if they repaired or replaced I could sell it.

But the question is, is 21 months a reasonable lifespan for a washer? If not, what is?

By the way it wasn't the brushes. I watched the repair man the whole time he was here; the entire motor had become detached. All he did was replaced one bolt and tightened all the others.

Tish, pish and bah! I was going to quote someone then realised that your all wrong!

The sales of goods act 1979 (amended) states that the goods should last a reasonable time. Argos et al. know this aswell. Warrenties mean nothing; they do not supercede your statutory rights. Your washer has failed you too early; if your willing to fight it, you will get this fixed. example?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/35724-broken-dishwasher-22-month.html

Don't fall into the trap of "its out of warrenty"..... it's bullsh*t

• 2 weeks later...

No I didn't bother. I gave the machine away and bought a new one from John Lewis with a 5 yr warranty.

But I have learned my lesson. Thanks to these forums, I will do things right next time -- soon as something goes wrong, get in touch with the seller if it seems too young to "die" and fight for my consumer rights instead of paying to have it mended.

I was an idiot over the whole affair.