• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Gym Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I decided to join a gym and when i looked around it had all the facilities that i required. the steam/sauna room was my main reason for joining and i was asked to sign a direct debt but no contract was mentioned.

The steam room broke down and there was never any hot water in the showers so i therefore asked them how i would go about cancelling my direct debt without incurring any charges they told me to give one months notice! i did this and now i have threatening letters from their debt collectors.

I sent them a recent letter which i will post below and i have just recieved a letter back not replying to my letter but just low and behold a copy of a contract that i signed that i assumed was my direct debit?

they have not written any reply to any of my letter just referring to the contract and i must pay the difference of the year with charges.

can anyone help please?

many thanks

letter i sent.....I am writing to you with reference to your recent letter and to inform you that I shall not be paying the sum that you require as it is clearly unjustified for the following reasons;

• When I joined the academy I was told by the receptionist that there were no terms or contract limits. I have on several occasions visited and telephoned the Academy and they still confirm this.

• The only thing I was asked to sign was a direct debit and as I am intellectually illiterate I took the word of the receptionist that this was true.

• When I asked on two occasions how much notice was required to cancel my direct debt I was informed that to give a months notice would be suffice to not incur any extra charges. I followed this procedure as requested.

• The reasons for not attending the gym any longer were due to the sauna being out of service for a minimum of 3 months whilst I was still attending the gym.

• I have since been back to the gym and the sauna is still out of order and has been since I left the gym approximately 6 months ago and I was informed that it will not be put back into service due to licensing laws? It was getting fixed? There was no funding to get it fixed? And several other excuses!

• One of the main reasons for me going to this particular gym was due to the sauna and personally I feel that maybe you was not offering me the service that I was paying my direct debit for whilst the sauna was all or none of the above?

I would like this letter to be taken as serious as the threatening letters that your company are sending me and if this matter is not resolved immediately then I have no option but to let a magistrate make a decision.

Yours sincerely

If the Direct Debit was actually an application for membership combined, then intellectually illiterate or not, you signed it and will be bound by its terms and conditions. You cannot and should never assume what anyone says is gospel, especially if you have to sign something. Providing you are over 18 (and you don;t have to be in sound mind) toy will find it impossible to challenge its validity on the basis you didn't understand it.

I'd also add setting up a Direct Debit also was a flawed idea - if it was the same amount each month, then a Standing Order was the way to go.

Whilst there are facilities and equipment that make you want to join the 'club' the lack of the provision of any of them is usually not a reason to cancel, and will usually be referred to in the T&Cs. You might be able to agree a suspension of your membership until the facilities you want are restored (so you don;t lose out), but if they stoop this low to mislead people into joining, I can guess what their response will be! Good luck!

I'd say you may have an argument for being misled. The posting below has a link to the OFT guidelines for health & fitness clubs.

They are well worth a read and may be something you can quote to the Health Club in your dispute or even threaten to report them.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173689-gym-membership.html#post1882183

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law and litigation privilege

Please see the following copyright statement

When it comes down to 'being misled' it is not sufficient to assert this without proof. A signed contract that states Terms of Membership along with a DD mandate would show where the misunderstanding arose, and I'm unaware of any successful challenge where the applicant has actually agreed to terms and signed acceptance of same.

When it comes down to 'being misled' it is not sufficient to assert this without proof. A signed contract that states Terms of Membership along with a DD mandate would show where the misunderstanding arose, and I'm unaware of any successful challenge where the applicant has actually agreed to terms and signed acceptance of same.

I believe there are other issues involved here as well which may involve the suppliers non delivery of contracted services etc.

I would start looking at the contract terms very carefully and cross check with the OFT guide. To quote just a few things from the OFT guidelines on Health clubs :-

The following are examples of unfair exclusion and limitation terms:

4.‘The company will use its best endeavours to ensure that all equipment & machines

are maintained in full working order but the company shall be under no liability to

the member in respect of any failure or breakdown of any equipment, machinery or

service & such failure or breakdown shall not relieve the member of the obligation

to fulfil the payment terms as agreed above’.

2.4 ‘No Refund’ terms are likely to be considered

unfair, as they deny the member the right to

a refund if the club is in breach of contract. It

may be fair to refuse members a full refund

in circumstances where they simply do not

wish to attend any more. But if they cancel

their membership because, for example, the club is unhygienic or unsafe, then they

should be entitled to a pro rata refund. Likewise, we take the view that members

should be entitled to a refund if the club suspends or cancels membership

unreasonably. See also our views on Minimum Membership Periods at Part III.

4.2 Terms that deprive members of prepayments when they cancel should recognise

their basic right to cancel the contract if the club is in serious default. Terms that do

not recognise this are likely to be considered unfair. Where the member cancels with

justification, i.e when the club is at serious fault and the member has not received

anything of value, he may well be entitled to a full refund of any prepayments and

compensation as well. A term penalising member cancellations in any circumstances,

whether by loss of deposit or other means, is open to objection on this basis.

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law and litigation privilege

You may wish to consider a follow up letter, quoting the OFT guide on Health and fitness clubs and threaten to report the club to the OFT and Trading Standards if they don't come to a compromise / refund etc......

Hi Corcorans,

While you say you signed the DD, you don't say if you think you may have also signed a contact.

As they are demanding money from you, write and ask for a copy of any contract which they say you've signed and which compels you to pay.

In the letter to them, mention that the main service for which you joined, ie the sauna, has been and is likely to remain unavailable. It is for this reason that you decided to cease using their facilities. Also mention the disfuntional showers.

If the Sauna and showers are not functioning properly, you should be able to cancel as they have failed to provide basic services which were previously available.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi all,

will post up the contract asap, when you look at it you will see that the date i signed it was 9/2/08, but they dated it the day before?? also the 12 month contract could have actually been put in at anytime?

thanks for all your comments will await any replies before i send off

any reply

thanks

did you notice they "countersigned it" the day before you signed it ?

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

yes but only notice it when they sent me the copy two days ago.

I was handed the form empty and just filled in my direct debit details and only my name and address.

the "MEMBERSHIP TYPE AND PERIOD DETAILS" where obviously filled in after I left the form with her.

that is why i thought that it was a direct debt form only.

thanks

You left yourself open to trouble in signing this before they'd entered all the details on it. How can you prove what was entered before or after you signed.

My suggestion is to accept that you signed for the year, but to refuse to continue to pay on the basis of their clear failure to provide the services for which you joined.

Write to the DCA (which one is it) confirming that you will pay them no more, any why.

Tell them they are welcome to take you to court over this, where you will take the opportunity to vigorously defend your position and counterclaim for any fees paid when the sauna, etc was not working.

Edited by slick132
typo

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

There's no template for this so try this......

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your demand for payment dated xx and must confirm that I owe no such debt to your company.

When I signed the direct debit on joining the gym, the contract (which has only been sent to me this month) was blank. I was told by your staff to complete the DD details. I was foolish to sign the blank form but was assured by your staff at the time that I was only required to give one month's notice to cancel and there would be no cancellation penalty.

Details about membership duration, etc were added after I'd signed but, given the reassurance from your staff, I was comfortable with joining. You will note the discrepancy in the dates where I and your staff signed on the contract.

The main reason for my cancelling membership and stopping DD payments was the withdrawal of the sauna facility, which was the main reason for choosing your gym. At first, I was told the facility would be reinstated, but later learned that the facility would remain unavailable.

There were also problems with the showers having no hot water.

I have now taken advice n this matter and, if you wish to take this matter to court, please do so. I will vigorously defend my case and will counterclaim for the return of monies paid.

You should be aware that the OFT has investigated gyms with regard to difficulties in cancelling, unfair terms and conditions in contacts, etc.

I consider the withdrawal of the sauna facility to be a significant breach of contract on your part, and will pay you no more money.

I require from you within 14 days written confirmation that:-

1. You will cease all collection activity in this matter.

2. I owe you no more money.

3. You agree the matter is closed.

If you continue to demand payments, I will make a formal complaint to local Trading Standards citing Sections 2.8(i) and 2.8(k) of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines.

Yours faithfully,

Amend the letter as necessary and enter any dates to help it make sense.

Send it Recorded Del'y or get (free) proof of posting at the PO.

Edited by slick132
last sentence

I hope it's better than yesterday.

I'd done the whole letter above, decided to make it a different colour, and deleted it irretrievably. :eek:

So had to start again from scratch. :mad:

Hope it gets you a result.

• 4 months later...

We confirm after discussion with Harlands, whom advise, that all Clubs have had sufficient training in completing the Agreements, and fail to see how anybody would complete their Direct Debit details, and then sign, a blank agreement, agreeing that they have read the Terms and Conditions, the club are aware that they give all members a copy of the Membership agreement immediately after signing.

We have no doubt as to the validity of this agreement

We confirm that this debt is valid and due, the best we can offer to you would be a settlement figure payable in one payment of £185.00 payable within the next 10 days, if you do not wish to take the settlement figure up, please call us on 01444449165, whereby we will be happy to accept monthly instalment payments, however there will be a small handling charge each month for this facility.

Yours sincerely

For Credit Resolution Services

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

I note your opinion about the circumstances of my signing the agreement and can only reiterate my previous comments which you will find in my last letter to you.

You have completely ignored my remarks about the failure of the gym to provide adequate facilities including the sauna and hot showers.

As I said before, if you wish to take the matter to court, please do so and I will defend and counterclaim vigorously.

This matter is clearly In Dispute and any further collection activity taken, by you or any other party, will be reported to the FOS for breach of OFT Debt Collection Guidelines.

My last letter (copy enclosed for reference) sets out how I require you to resolve this matter.

I require your reply within 14 days, after which I will consider the matter closed.

Yours faithfully,

:)

Also Corcorans,

Have you read here - The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Barclaycard

:cool: