Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Looking for a bit of assistance. I moved into a rented flat on 20th April 2024. I viewed it on the 14th April. Before I moved into the flat, the letting agency provided me with an offer sheet, in said offer sheet I made a number of requests and conditions related to me progressing with assuming the tenancy. These were: 1. A professional clean of the flat prior to move in date. 2. The hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet be replaced prior to move in date. These were all planned actions by the landlord when I viewed it. I could see the boxes for the hob and other items in the flat. I prepared to move in on the 20th April but none of the work mentioned in the offer sheet had been completed. The standard of the clean was abysmal - mouldy food left in the fridge, nothing wiped down, bathroom mouldy etc. The hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet were also not installed. I decided to not officially move into the flat as it was not in a condition as promised, my partner lives relatively close by so I lived with her initially. It was only on the 24th April that the hob, shower glass and bathroom cabinet were installed. The cleaners visited again 2 weeks after move in date (3rd April) and attempted another clean of the flat. Again, it was a poor job. I resorted to cleaning the flat myself. I have numerous pictures of the things I identified during my clean and have sent this all to the letting agency. Because of the issues faced, I asked the letting agency that the rent be reduced for the initial month. Exactly halved - to represent the 2 weeks that I was not living at the property. The landlord and letting agency have responded by saying that they will be willing to accept 1 weeks rent as a deduction but not 2. My question is, am I in a strong position to insist on the 2 weeks rent returned or have I been fortunate that they have even offered a weeks rent as a deduction? I would like to insist on the 2 weeks. I have paid the 2 weeks only as my rent collection date passed 2 days ago. Thank you for any assistance. Any further relevant details required let me know and I will provide.
    • clarks are just like the rest of 'em. couldn't careless, your advantage here is it's not legally your car, the finance co. should be bought into play . as i think BF eluded too , or has in other threads, if dealer/finance co. dont sort it between themselves FOC to you, another option is to get it fixed then bill both for it, if they refuse, then a court claim is very simple and cheap option to recoup your losses. see where it goes. just musing. dx
    • Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I would have assumed they would have had contacts to do such work as well. I think it's just the general rubbish attitude from Arnold Clark as the amount of times the General Manager of the place was rude or kept referring to "it would have to come out of my margin" to fix issues. Like it was my fault. Oh well - Won't be buying anything from them again.
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Brightside VS BARCLAYS the next step?...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well and not letting anyone or thing grind you down...:p


This is a 'what do I do next?' type query:



29th Dec, 08: Sent my £1 for CCA.



23rd Jan 09: Received photocopy of T & C leaftlet fob-off.



2nd Feb 09: Sent letter stating T & C photocopy insufficient.



12th Feb 09: Received a letter from Barclays titled 'Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request (I never mentioned SAR in my previous letters to them but hey it was sent for free by Barc!).


The letter contain statements back to 2004 but no CCA.


Interestingley it says statements prior to 2004 may be stored on microfilm (could my agreement also?) and that 'This info we have enclosed relating to this account is all that we hold'.



12th Feb 09: I send a letter entitled ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE asking them not to ask for payment, add charges, etc till dispute settled.






19th March 09: Letter from BARC saying they have satisfied my requests and therefore do not count my account as in dispute.


They re basically saying that since the agreement has been varied since I originally signed it, that they only have to sent a copy of current T & C's as the original would not reflect the current terms on my account, and so the original no longer applies!


They have also added a £12 charge and withdrawn my preferential rate of interest on that card.



So my questions:


(1) Is this hogwash or are they within their rights to supply nothing despite CCA request, and a voluntary SAR? Or are they trying it on? They say it is okay for them to do so under REG 7 of the Consumer Credit Act.


(2) They have started to add charges as they say they do not accept me holding the account in dispute - even though I have not yet clapped eyes on a signed CCA. What can I do about this or do I ignore?


(3) What is my next step please?


(4) Any help would be massively welcome.


Warm regards to all on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MrB,


No need for Bumping so soon. :p


I assume this is a Barclaycard but please confirm, so it can be mved to the BC forum.


Read other threads in the BC forum and you'll see most users are d/w the same prob from BC, where they say they HAVE fulfilled their CCA request obligations.


Read up on the CPR approach in Link No2 of my signature below.


Have you suffered penalty chgs on the a/c before you stopped paying recently. If so, do you have all your statements for the last 6 years. Get them with a SAR if nec'y. They will supply state's going back 6 years when pushed.


The SAR should also produce the Credit Agreement (but it won't:mad:).

We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply Slick.


Yes it is a BarclayCard Credit Card sorry I am useless at navigating my way around this site, I thought I had posted it in the area for BarclayCards? Will have another look, or if you have a link...?


Also are they right to dispute the dispute and keep adding charges?




Mr B

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread now moved into BC forum.


Please respond to my comments about penalty charges on the a/c. You need statements going back 6 years to see what charges have been added to the a/c.


They'll continue to add charges and interest, because they contend that they've complied with the CCA request.

We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi BS,


Sorry to hear of the loss of job. I assume this is why you've stopped paying - because you can no longer afford the monthly repayments.


See Letters A to G here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html


Even if you do ask BC to take reduced pay'ts, they have a reputation for refusing such requests.


Read up on the CPR approach if you want to challenge the enforceability of the Credit Agreement. It's a slow and painful process though as you'll read on the threads of others. :)

We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...