style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

We moved out of our rented property 10 working days ago after a nigthmare tenancy. Neither the Landlord or the letting agency has contacted us regarding the deposit and they still have not provided our tenancy ID number which I requested on our last day as we had not previously been given it.

Could any tell me, by law, is there a period of time in which they have to pay back the deposit or inform me of any deductions they will be trying to make.

Many thanks !!

From www.okinuk.co.uk :

'Your deposit should be returned to you within 10 days of your tenancy ending (moving out). If there is a dispute between you and the landlord/letting agent, they must hand over your deposit to one of the 3 authorised schemes, and register the dispute. The scheme will then act independently to decide how to divide the money. If you really do not agree with their decision you can go further and take your claim to the County Court, but this is a long process and there is no guarantee that it will work, so try to work it out with through the scheme first.

3 schemes:

The Deposit Protection Service (The DPS)

Tel: 0870 707 1 707

Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd (TDSL)

Tel: 0871 703 0552

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)'

Tel: 0845 226 7837

If they havent protected your deposit, then realistically, in my opinion, there are no deductions they can make, unless the protect the deposit in a scheme before returning it and allowing the scheme to arbitrate any disputes. If they make deductions without protecting your money, they you would have been afforded no recourse to dispute, and hence, in my opinion have a strong case for the 3x deposit penalty for non compliance of the Housing Act 2004 (sections 213 and penalty in 214). makes happy reading. :-)

Good luck!