Bank error but they are not refunding my money

Joe1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I hope that someone may be able to help?? I have had a cheque cleared through my account for £214 but the cheques was only written out for £14. I have raised a complaint with Barclays and was advised that we had to wait until we receive a copy of the cheque and the bank would then refund the £200 + all charges incurred as a direct result of this error. We have since received the copy and have proof that this is a banking error. But we still do not have our money back. I have now been told that the bank has the right to take up to 8!!!! weeks to resolve this issue! What is there to resolve? The proof we have received is absolute. I have tried the call centre but I get through to some foreign call centre staff who are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I have contacted the Fin. Ombudsman who also could not help. I do not have a lot of money spare. How can I get my money back????:mad::mad::idea:

Hello everyone,

I hope that someone may be able to help?? I have had a cheque cleared through my account for £214 but the cheques was only written out for £14. I have raised a complaint with Barclays and was advised that we had to wait until we receive a copy of the cheque and the bank would then refund the £200 + all charges incurred as a direct result of this error. We have since received the copy and have proof that this is a banking error. But we still do not have our money back. I have now been told that the bank has the right to take up to 8!!!! weeks to resolve this issue! What is there to resolve? The proof we have received is absolute. I have tried the call centre but I get through to some foreign call centre staff who are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I have contacted the Fin. Ombudsman who also could not help. I do not have a lot of money spare. How can I get my money back????:mad::mad::idea:

Have you started the ball rolling with your bank?

How much was debited from the payee account(the person who wrote you the cheque)?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I would go to your branch, explain the situation and what you have been told, that the length of time they require to resolve their error is unacceptable and will create problems for you . If they say they can't do anything (their hand are tied, can't short circuit procedures etc), suggest that they give you an interest free overdraft of £200 until such time that their investigation is complete.

Hi Michael,

I have done exactly that but as I already have an overdraft they are refusing to extend it for this matter. To the fact that this is causing me financial problems, they just shrug. They say the ombudsman gives them 8 weeks to solve the matter. If something is unclear and needs investigating I can understand that. But the investigation has concluded and now they are clearly just playing for time. How can this be fair? Considering that as customers we are being charged immediately for any 'wrong doing'??

Hi Joe,

I know it's frustrating but it is v difficult to get the banks to move as quickly as you'd expect or like.

Make an appointment to see a manager or senior staff member and ask for temp o/d as MB suggests above.

Calling their Cust'r Services will get you NO results and will frustrate you further.

You'll get this back, only not as quickly as you'd like. When it's resolved, write a letter to complain, if it HAS taken too long, and seek a payment of compensation.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

:-x ....I just got a bitter taste of how unhelpful they are. Many promises in branch but nothing happens....even more frustrating: they were very quick to apply charges. Even my advisor commented that they have sneaked them through the 'back door'. Yesterday I was promised that my advsior will call me before 10.00 am today. It is 9.30 am now and no call...:-(