Help. Natwest are perpetually ripping me off and screwing up badly.

chris.j.smith
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First some history. I had a current account account and credit card in good standing with Natwest for many years. Unfortunately due to unemployment I got stuck in the borrowing trap. My accounts stand as follows:

Credit card: limit: £3500 .... balance £3350.

Current account: limit £-1550 ... balance £-1683.

I do not use either. I bank with HSBC now. I am trying to pay them off at a rate of £150/month approximately which is all I can afford.

Issues over time:

1/ They leaked my account information including balance and transactions to a non-signatory on the account (my parents) because he was a friend of the bank manager at 60-02-36 (Bishop's storford) branch. When aprpoaching them about this they covered it up. They removed all history of complaints against the bank which magically cannot be recalled even though I have the reference numbers they gave me.

2/ I'm being charged approximately £58/month in charges on my current account. They refuse to refund them every month even though I've approached them to make an arrangement over the telephone 5 times. They either lose the returned loan paperwork or it gets applied then goes overdrawn instantly, or is refused in the branch (see 4). The loans are at a rediculous interest rate of 35% which magically rises to 40% when the paperwork is delivered.

3/ I'm getting default charges (£24) applied to my credit card every month even though they have agreed to stop the defaults because i'm on a payment arrangment. They apparently cannot stop this despite having a recorded phone call saying that they will stop these. Trying to talk to them about it results in "we can't do anything, go away".

4/ I've entered the Kingston-upon-thames branch on their request 7 times now to sort the mess out that my account is in. The staff are rude, unhelpful and the application fails each time after sitting around waiting for late appointments for an hour.

5/ I've clocked up £91 in telephone charges waiting for them.

6/ I've bene told I'll be called back 12 times and have been called back once.

7/ I've sent 3 letters to their complaints team and never get a reply.

8/ I've requested all of my statements for charges under DPA. They never reply.

I have nearly all calls recorded and a diary of events.

Only retaliation so far is that Kingston is full of students. I've interrupted a few people who entered the branch and told them to go to HSBC to open an account instead (in front of Natwest staff). They said I'd be arrested if I did it again ;)

I've considered getting a dodgy loan from welcome finance to cover it but I'm not sure they could close an account cleanly especially as they can't manage it from day to day.

I am finally considering just defaulting on everything and letting them take me to court on a default and claiming that I've done my part of the CCA 1974 (with all the evidence with me).

Help!

Anyone got any suggestions on how to tackle these incompetant idiots further?

Hi,

First some history. I had a current account account and credit card in good standing with Natwest for many years. Unfortunately due to unemployment I got stuck in the borrowing trap. My accounts stand as follows:

Credit card: limit: £3500 .... balance £3350.

Current account: limit £-1550 ... balance £-1683.

I do not use either. I bank with HSBC now. I am trying to pay them off at a rate of £150/month approximately which is all I can afford.

Issues over time:

1/ They leaked my account information including balance and transactions to a non-signatory on the account (my parents) because he was a friend of the bank manager at 60-02-36 (Bishop's storford) branch. When aprpoaching them about this they covered it up. They removed all history of complaints against the bank which magically cannot be recalled even though I have the reference numbers they gave me.

Data protection Act breach and if substantiated is gross misconduct for the member of staff.

2/ I'm being charged approximately £58/month in charges on my current account. They refuse to refund them every month even though I've approached them to make an arrangement over the telephone 5 times. They either lose the returned loan paperwork or it gets applied then goes overdrawn instantly, or is refused in the branch (see 4). The loans are at a rediculous interest rate of 35% which magically rises to 40% when the paperwork is delivered.

Risk based pricing on loans. £58 is that interest as well?

3/ I'm getting default charges (£24) applied to my credit card every month even though they have agreed to stop the defaults because i'm on a payment arrangment. They apparently cannot stop this despite having a recorded phone call saying that they will stop these. Trying to talk to them about it results in "we can't do anything, go away".

Can they refund em each month if they cannot stop them?

4/ I've entered the Kingston-upon-thames branch on their request 7 times now to sort the mess out that my account is in. The staff are rude, unhelpful and the application fails each time after sitting around waiting for late appointments for an hour.

I suspect that the account is with Collections which means the branch cannot do anything with.

5/ I've clocked up £91 in telephone charges waiting for them.

Not sure on this one

6/ I've bene told I'll be called back 12 times and have been called back once.

Messages being passed on between units can be crap.

7/ I've sent 3 letters to their complaints team and never get a reply.

Have they confirmed receipt of them or were they sent recorded delivery?

8/ I've requested all of my statements for charges under DPA. They never reply.

Which address was it sent to and was the statutory £10 fee included in the request? How long have you been waiting?

I have nearly all calls recorded and a diary of events.

Only retaliation so far is that Kingston is full of students. I've interrupted a few people who entered the branch and told them to go to HSBC to open an account instead (in front of Natwest staff). They said I'd be arrested if I did it again ;)

Does sound pretty silly.

I've considered getting a dodgy loan from welcome finance to cover it but I'm not sure they could close an account cleanly especially as they can't manage it from day to day.

I am finally considering just defaulting on everything and letting them take me to court on a default and claiming that I've done my part of the CCA 1974 (with all the evidence with me).

Help!

Anyone got any suggestions on how to tackle these incompetant idiots further?

Yes I would say if you have documentary evidence then you need to send an email to

[email protected]

They will acknowledge the complaint and deal with all issues you have got. Make sure you write everything in a chronological manner and stick to facts.

ie my details given to my parents without my knowledge.

mention the complaints stuff and mention the SAR stuff.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf