Benefit Fraud...unbearable Stress...

doodoo04
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody...

ive been called for a Interview Under Caution which I attended yesterday after over 2 weeks of waiting. I cannot describe you the stress this caused me. I am already a very anxious person by nature but all this is really taking its toll physically and mentally now. At theinterview basically they insisted that my husband , who left over a year ago, and who is still actaully using my adrress for his mail to come bEcause hasn't got a fixed address (AS HE STATES...), IS STILL living with me. I have been honest and told them that apart from him turning up sometimes to see his child and having those letters coming through, he is not part of my life anymore. Useless to say that i TRIED OVER AND OVER TO push him to change his address on his papers, tried to readdress his letters back to sender but it was absolutely useless. I don't have the power to speak on his behalf and therefore can not make those changes. The interview ended with the lady telling me basically that htey were going to assess the matter furhther, try to speak to hubby ( WHO I AM SURE WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AS HE DON'T REEEEEALLLY CARE) and they will get back to me... The point is that I live here completely alone, no friends,...only mydaughter as support but she is 4 and not really helpful ( poor might...). I am left with no money, debts rising and bills coming and living on £20 child benefit and all because unfortunately I couldn't redirect my husband mail... Howlong do i have to wait ? And after all... maybe they can still flipping accusing me of fraud ( i don't know what basis they will find...) but as far as my gut instinct think...they will not stop here. They want to win and im sure they will find another excuse to call me up again and drag this further and further... My point is...I don't think I can take this too long... It has been 3 weeks already, i lost 7 pounds, hardly slept, been snappy all the time and...it is not over... I am tearful, stressed, don't have anybody to talk... I am a nervous wreck...

I am really sorry to put this on you but i am telling you it is all taking its toll on me. Any advice, or any word from you will be surely loved as it looks that i am not really alone here...

Take care you all...

Doodoo

Sorry to here this. But you are right and you are not alone. One thing I did not do at this early stage and would advise you do is go and book a meeting with Citizens Advice. This way you can let out some steam and give some feedback.

You need to think positive, as you say, you are in the right and they are not. Not sure what training these investigators go through but there seems to be a lot of incompetent ones out there, who seem not to realise the stress they put innocent people through.

I have had a complete bloody nightmare with them, which I have posted about.I just hope my experience is a one off.

Just having letters in his name going to your address is not evidence enough, they will need a lot more proof (visual evidence, bank statements on anything that may link him to house, is he on the electrical register somewhere, he must be paying bills, rent wherever he is, so this will provide proof in your favour).

Hopefully it will not be long, try and forget about it until they come back, maybe go see doctor and get him to contact them on your behalf, see if they can fast track it or something.

Goodluck

Thank you whu1... Well, my solicitor told me that as things are i should try and not worry too much. Unfortunately, he is not paying any billselsewhere because he is living with other people ( i think the y r on benefit too) AND THEREFORE he is not paying anything else. The investigator sounded surprised that after one year he was not able to get his own place...but in the end what have i got to do with it? He has got bank account at this address im afraid but despite me trying and send them back to the sender they keep on coming and only he can change the address... So it is with british gas. He joined when we moved in this house and kind of always owed some bills and therefore when he moved out there were money in his name on the bill and still haven't been able to clear the debt and change the name... Why should i be lyable for his debts? Well, it is messy but not really my fault. THe solicitor said that as far as we are now...it is not really my fault if he doesn't collaborate with them but it is a thought that keeps on coming in my head... And it's been 3 weeks of waiting and it really hit me very very hard... I now have to wait again ...and can't help but being worried...

I am sorry to hear you went through the same situation... Did you get it all solved in the end? How did it go?

Thanks for your time...

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Im in almost the same situation ive actually felt suicidal. Im actually back with my partner now but as it looks on paper that we were infact a couple i dont see how i can make them understand we wernt. she was putting words in my mouth and i cried for the most part of the interview. My problem is that my partner was with another girl, at her parents for some of the time and the fact hes now back with me - well, she will NEVER back that up and he had no bills there. such a mess

Myinvestigator tried to put things in my mouth and all. She was pushing me to say that it was surprising that my husband had no fixed address because he was a grown man... GROWN MAN????? WHAT the hell has got that to do with me??? And my accusation???? Was she trying to make admitt wnhat i was saying wasn't true???? Well...it was... im afraid for her... I really think that no matter how near or far from the truth they are , they always want to find a way to convict you... using any way possible... Sometimes i think...i did what i could and whatever happens happens... But i cant help worrying...I do feel suicidal too at times...i have to admitt... I am under such an immense stress and worry that only people who have been in same position can understand... Now i have to fear i am watched, that if he comes around to see my daughter i will be in trouble ( although i declared that)... Idon't know. I wish i could get up and it was all over with... Everyday is harder and harder and it is not getting any easier... And i am here alone... It's horrible !!!!

Thank you for your time...

Thank you whu1... Well, my solicitor told me that as things are i should try and not worry too much. Unfortunately, he is not paying any billselsewhere because he is living with other people ( i think the y r on benefit too) AND THEREFORE he is not paying anything else. The investigator sounded surprised that after one year he was not able to get his own place...but in the end what have i got to do with it? He has got bank account at this address im afraid but despite me trying and send them back to the sender they keep on coming and only he can change the address... So it is with british gas. He joined when we moved in this house and kind of always owed some bills and therefore when he moved out there were money in his name on the bill and still haven't been able to clear the debt and change the name... Why should i be lyable for his debts? Well, it is messy but not really my fault. THe solicitor said that as far as we are now...it is not really my fault if he doesn't collaborate with them but it is a thought that keeps on coming in my head... And it's been 3 weeks of waiting and it really hit me very very hard... I now have to wait again ...and can't help but being worried...

I am sorry to hear you went through the same situation... Did you get it all solved in the end? How did it go?

Thanks for your time...

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

It is still going on...............:eek:

You don't need British Gas to change the name. You can go to any utility supplier and register with them, or simply write to British Gas enclosing a copy of your tenancy agreement showing that only YOU reside in the property and you would like to have your utilities supplied to your home in your name and take responsibility for your use of the utilities. If he no longer resides in the property, they will continue to pursue him for the debt however they cannot refuse to open a new account for someone because someone who used to reside in that property owes them debt. If that were the case, a lot of new tenants would have trouble setting up utilities and the utility companies would struggle to survive. There is no benefit to them refusing you an account.

If the Gas/Electric Bill hasn't been paid in over a year, I'm surprised they haven't cut off the supply. When you owe a utility company money, they don't continue to supply you with that utility if the bill remains unpaid, they cut it off.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I'm surprised they haven't cut off the supply. When you owe a utility company money, they don't continue to supply you with that utility if the bill remains unpaid, they cut it off.

Quick point; the utility company would be more likely to fit a prepayment meter than disconnect.

I can't really help in any other practical way having never been in this situation but in any dealings with local government I've always found it most effective to take control of the conversation by advising the jumped up official that I am not happy with the treatment I have received and that I will be telephoning a local councillor immediately to ask them to take a personal interest in the matter.

Having worked in housing benefits many years ago I can vividly remember the panic which ensued when one indicated his intention to visit the office.

Quick point; the utility company would be more likely to fit a prepayment meter than disconnect

I readily concur, the utility companies will fit a prepayment meter first, this way then they can set the amount you re-pay them, i.e you credit £5 on the meter and two of that will automatically go toward the outstanding debt. They will only cut you off as a last and final resort, there are many laws and guidelines laid down that they have to satisfy first in order to cut your supply off.

The stages that lead up to disconnection of domestic gas will vary depending on the supplier that you are using, but will follow the same general pattern. Initially the non-payment of a bill will flag up on their systems and a red bill will follow. Then there will be a period where they will contact you to try and get the bill paid, perhaps agreeing a repayment schedule. Only when they have given up will they disconnect the gas, and in fact they will probably offer the option of a pre-payment meter rather than cut off your supply completely.:)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 months later...
Hi everybody...

ive been called for a Interview Under Caution which I attended yesterday after over 2 weeks of waiting. I cannot describe you the stress this caused me. I am already a very anxious person by nature but all this is really taking its toll physically and mentally now. At theinterview basically they insisted that my husband , who left over a year ago, and who is still actaully using my adrress for his mail to come bEcause hasn't got a fixed address (AS HE STATES...), IS STILL living with me. I have been honest and told them that apart from him turning up sometimes to see his child and having those letters coming through, he is not part of my life anymore. Useless to say that i TRIED OVER AND OVER TO push him to change his address on his papers, tried to readdress his letters back to sender but it was absolutely useless. I don't have the power to speak on his behalf and therefore can not make those changes. The interview ended with the lady telling me basically that htey were going to assess the matter furhther, try to speak to hubby ( WHO I AM SURE WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AS HE DON'T REEEEEALLLY CARE) and they will get back to me... The point is that I live here completely alone, no friends,...only mydaughter as support but she is 4 and not really helpful ( poor might...). I am left with no money, debts rising and bills coming and living on £20 child benefit and all because unfortunately I couldn't redirect my husband mail... Howlong do i have to wait ? And after all... maybe they can still flipping accusing me of fraud ( i don't know what basis they will find...) but as far as my gut instinct think...they will not stop here. They want to win and im sure they will find another excuse to call me up again and drag this further and further... My point is...I don't think I can take this too long... It has been 3 weeks already, i lost 7 pounds, hardly slept, been snappy all the time and...it is not over... I am tearful, stressed, don't have anybody to talk... I am a nervous wreck...

I am really sorry to put this on you but i am telling you it is all taking its toll on me. Any advice, or any word from you will be surely loved as it looks that i am not really alone here...

Take care you all...

Doodoo

am so sorry to hear how distressed you are, have recently been in this situation my advice is see a solicitor, they are guarenteed to tell you to go to the interview and say no comment, I would strongly advise against this just tell the truth and you will be ok. PM if you require any more advice.

Hiya doodoo, I'm in the middle of being investigated, had one interview, going back next week for second, I've posted about it, before all this happened, I was suffering from major depression anyway as well as diabeties, kidney disease blah blah but since all this started I have twice had a cupful of pills in my hand and almost taken them, SORRY to use such a horrible and disgusting word, I mean no offence but I feel I've been raped in a sense, with strangers prying into everying private, I don't have a great deal of friends and already had debt problems/family problems to worry about but boy the stress of these interviews has made me really ill, when I read your thread, I had tears in my eyes, you're not alone, you've got friends on here that are going through more or less the same situation, however, if you haven't even got enough money to eat properly, see a social worker asap, they can act quick when a child is involved, the only way to look at it is, IT WILL end eventually although I know it doesn't feel like that at the mo, I'm not eating/sleeping myself with worry