council tax/ housing benefit

darthjack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine was claiming carers allowance until his father died 2 months ago. Now he has claimed JSA last week and the council have asked him to fill out forms for housing benefit/council tax benefit and send them proof of ID and the last 2 months bank statements.

His father left him a large amount of money (over £20,000), some of the money was left to his brother. The money was then transfered to my friends bank and shows on the statement. What he want to know is

can he spend this money before he makes a claim for housing benefit?. As it shows on his bank statement he dosent want to make a claim. Will he be questioned on where the money has gone?

Hi,

I believe that if your friends claim for jsa is allowed, the bank account the DWP pays the benefit into will viewable by the DWP, they will be able to see his account, what has gone in and what has come out.

They may have questions.

I believe when you give authority for the DWP to make payments into an account you also give permission for them to see if you have any other income by having unlimited access to the account.

obviously, before the jsa claim.there was no permission, so I am not sure if they can go back in time and check on transactions before said permission was given, although i think they can.

I also believe any transaction/transfer of money over £2000 automaticly triggers a bank to invetigate if there is a case of money laundering.

as your friend has bank statments with a £20,000 transfer, I quess there will be questions.

Sorry this is not great advice, I am just unsure of the information they can gather but one thing for sure, if he shows them the statements then they will definately know.

Maybe someone else will be along soon and be able to shine a little more light on this for you.

good luck.

You'll have to declare the £10,000 that you inherited, and as long as you have the will for the other £10,000 there will be no question that it is yours. use thii calculator Start Calculation it will show you what you are entitled to and how much of the savings will be disregarded for income purposes.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Had a word with my friend, His Father died last week in Jan. He was left £30,000 from his father and it was put in his bank on 11th Feb then transfered to anonther account by the bank to keep it apart from his money.

There was no will but his fathers wish was to put £2000 in his Gandsons account untill he was 18 and split the rest between the 2 brothers.

My friend took out £14,000 in cash to pay his brother on 20th of march and £6000 a week later to pay his late fathers bills (funeral ,utillity bills etc)

His council tax benefit/housing benefit was due to start on 17th March.

I've told him this all looks a bit dodgy now he's worried he's going to be locked up. Will he have to pay any overpayment from the 11th Feb?

I've told him not to bother claiming any Hb/Ct then he's alright.

Seems to me he should have taken the £6K out before the split of the money so his brother paid half the bills.

There is nothing dodgy about what he has done and he should proceed with his claim and see what he is entitled to on the basis that he has some savings.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi,

thanks for stepping in gizmo111, just trying to do my bit for those with 0 replies.

Yes I agree,your friend should apply for any benefit he feels he may be entitled to. I was worried he was trying to hide the facts and concerned he may get cought out,

But of course, If he declares his savings,then the powers to be will make a decision based on the facts.

Thanks gizmo111 and good luck darthjack, please keep us informed.:)

Thanks for the advice. My friend has been to the council today and explained the situation. He's given them his bank account details and now they have asked him for copy of will, letter from his Brother to confirm payment, bill from the funeral and any other expenses and statement of bank transaction to his Brother. He feels better for it and after looking at the housing benefit calculator, he might be able to get some benefit.