faulty ipod from abroad

joroan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, My husband has just come back from Poland, he was away on business. While he was there he got me an ipod as a present as they were quite a bit cheaper. The only problem is now we have got it home it dosent work. Its not holding any charge.

Do you think its to do with it not being from the UK? if not do i have any rights with Apple, as he wont be going back to Poland and so cant return it to the shop.

Any advice appreciated

I think it may well be that it's a fake... Check carefully before contacting Apple. ;-)

(And no, it's not a slur on Poland or anyone, a lot of the ex-Iron curtain countries have had a thriving fake culture. You should see the stuff I could have got in Serbia, looked just like the real thing!)

Sounds like a dodgy battery, tbh, som maybe worth looking on e-bay for a new battery and see if that solves the problem?

you can't, they have to change it, but if it is a fake I am sure that there are sites out there that can help, and as it may well be a fake, then why not do it yourself, BUT be VERY sure that it is a fake first, you can always check the serial number with Apple.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Poland? I've seen the same ones for sale in Glasgow. They're not native to either country, but the presentation and packaging is excellent. The giveaway was on the base, it had a Mini-USB connector instead of the usual Apple ipod dock. I hope he didn't pay any more than £50, as that's what they're going for up here.

Thanks for your replies. I will see if i can check the serial number with apple before i do anything else. Ill be dissapointed if it is fake but i suppose that would be why they were cheaper than the UK! Should have known really.

As a p/t hobby so to speak, I fix electronics such as phones and so on...one of them being ipods

I dont think you mention what type of ipod it is but is it a Nano by any chance?

I picked up a batch of 12 ipods yesterday, 6 of them nanos (3rd gen which is the square ones rather than the long ones) needing battery replacements as they dont hold charge.

Ipod batteries CAN be replaced - Nano's are solder jobs, Video's are plug in jobs - the most difficult part is obviously opening a screw-less case and the later the model - the more difficult it is.

anyway the main point is, I am getting around 12 ipods a month for just battery issues from one single store..the chain has 40+ stores so yes, the batteries do die and it is common :)

• 4 months later...
I'd be extremely interested to know how you change the battery on an ipod.
Following on this, I can now confirm that you can indeed change the battery on an i-pod, I did it this afternoon on a 40 gb 4th generation and it worked a treat. There are how-to guides on the internet that show you step-by-step too. The battery cost me about £8 inc P&P. Result. :-D

There's a watch repairer in the Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow who has been changing I-Pod batteries for ages. He offers a two-hour turnround. I'm sure he's not the only one as I-Pods have been around for long enough now.

Obviously Apple would rather you didn't sue these guys but paid them instead but it's certainly possible and probably available on a high street near you. I don't think they would care if it was a fake either.