Crohns.. Entitled to any benefits??

nowayjose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help needed please, my husband is suffering from Crohns Disease (has done for the last 20 years) he has tried to hold on many jobs over the years but has lost them due to his sickness record. He can have flare ups and has had time off for major operations. His worst being the removal of 1/3 of his intestine 6 years ago. To date he has lost 4 jobs. He is desperate to work, especially during the time when his illness is in remission and he feels well. His latest employment ended in December. Since then he has been on Employment Support Allowance of £60.50 per week. We have now resigned ourselves to the fact that we are banging our heads against a brick wall and he should give up the prospect of working. however, we simply cannot survive on his money with 2 dependant children and a mortgage. We receive ctc and I work on a relief basis with no set hours, since april last year I have earned 12000 before tax.

Does anyone know if people with crohns are eligible for any extra benefits

Thanks

NWJx

Oh well, forget my above post, it just gets worse...according to DWP my husband is no longer eligible for Employment Support Allowance anymore...This morning he received a letter informing him of this based on a medical he had at the begining of March. The letter says they will not pay him because 'it has been decided you do not have any limited capability for work', Apparantly according to an accompanying letter he only scored 6 points when he needed at least 15.

The questions asked at the medical had nothing to do with my husbands illness, they only covered mobility and pschological problems so he doesnt fit into those catagories. On summing up the doctor concluded that 'In my opinion a return to work could be considered within 6 months', even though he saw his consultant last week who changed his medication and has arranged for an appointment for my husband to have an inspection of his colon under sedation, the DWP doctor asked my husband his medical history, and told him there is no point putting the word Crohns on the form because the admin staff wouldnt know what that was so she put down 'Abdominal Problems' ???? WTF so some jumped up clerical officer can make a judgement on my husbands illness ???? I just dont get it....

He phoned them today to find out the score and all they can suggest is an appeal, they are sending forms, Can anyone tell me what an appeal entails,

Thanks

NWJx:x

not able to answer your questions but this I believe is a very good resource for sufferers of Crohns NACC - National Association for Colitis and Crohn's Disease

It has sections on benefits amongst a lot of other bumpf.

Hope it helps a bit.

Edited by sisternumber1
spelling!

How often does he have a flare up? If they are frequent and he needs to be close to a look at all times I would look at going on the sick and claiming DLA.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Its hard to predict really, but stress definately can cause a flare up, or perhaps if his eating pattern is not regular, the next day he can be doubled up with wind and unable to get off the toilet because of diarrohea (sp?) Over the last 20 years he has had perianal abscess (requiring surgery), anal fissures (surgery), anal stretches(surgery), 1/3 of his intestine removed (surgery), admitted to hospital for bleeding from the back passage, large doses of steriods, he suffers from aching joints, recurrent mouth ulcers and general tiredness. In my opinion he is definately not suitable to go to work, and tbh what employer is going to give him a job with the possiblity of a flareup when there are so many 'fit' people out there. DLA would be ideal, but at the moment just Employment Support Allowance is being denied, so really dont know what to do.

• 6 months later...

Update on this.......3 weeks ago the appeal went to tribunal and has been turned down... My husband was unable to attend because of his illness and wrote a letter to the tribunal informing them of this, they replied and basically said tough thats the date you must attend. Less than a fortnight ago he was admitted to hospital with a severe flare up ( our GP thought he had a twisted bowel) He was in for almost a week, was given Morphine for the pain, had a NG tube, a catheter and was attached to a drip...I explained our situation re- tribunal to the surgical doctor in the hospital and he couldnt believe that he is not entitled to any money(quote - 'does this look like someone who can go out to work??'... he said his priority was to get him better first and then he would see what he could do?? Unfortunately though he was handed over to another team of doctors so we are not in contact with that doctor anymore....

Can anyone tell me if you have been turned down for ESA are you entitled to claim lower rate DLA???

I would be grateful for any help

Thanks

NWJxxx

the doctor who did the original assesmant

it was not a doctor from atos health care or atos origin was it

this is becoming to regular

Hi Postie

check out the finance U thread :D:D:D:D

This atos - not sure, how would I know ????

ESA and DLA are different criterias so one doesn't (shouldn't) cancel the other out.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Nowayjose,

I know what your husband is going through. I have a friend who has UC.

I think the best thing might be to approach CAB also speak to your Doctor. I would also speak to the consultant your husband see's at the hospital. All the stress will not help your husbands condition.

Possibly look at www.direct.gov.uk/mortgagehelp for help with your mortgage, and if you can no longer claim ESA, then what about Income support or JSA?

Income support your partner can't work over 16 hours, and you cannot work over 24 hours, as well as needing to be in a defined client group such as bieng sick or disabled, a carer, lone parent, etc, check out www.direct.gov.uk and it is full of information that can help guide you through this.

It will also give you information on how to deal with appeal process as well.

I hope that helps a little ;)

Unfortunately though he was handed over to another team of doctors so we are not in contact with that doctor anymore....

All you need to do is contact the Doctors secretary at the Hospital, he has been seeing your Husband so he can write reports, whatever is needed.

Thanks all for your replies... Im going to get all my paperwork together over the next few days and crack on with this... I have informed Tax Credits and we have been awarded an extra £50 per month (big deal) still taking money off us for an overpayment as well, I work between 20-30 hours a week but my contract is only for 16 hours, really struggling at the moment, so can anyone advise me on whether I can put in a claim for Disability Living Allowance???

DLA is not tested on your income, or on the diagnosis. It is payable if a person requires assistance with care or mobility needs. If assistance with care or mobility is required, put a claim in - but, the forms are very in depth and you may find a bit of assistance from Welfare Rights or CAB in the completion of the forms beneficial.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi, I just did a search on "Crohn's DLA" and there's someone on MSE forum who's had the same problems as you.

Have a read at; http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=25584375

Then if necessary, PM or post the OP for advice.

My main search was at; DLA Crohns - Google Search

This is one reason I began a thread on the Green Paper currently going through the Commons, where there are proposals to abolish AA and DLA. Don't worry, because there has so far been public revolt.

When it comes to filling an application in, don't forget to describe his condition on a bad day.

Kind regards, Bill.

Littlewillie....Thanks for taking the time to get that link it has given me a lot of hope;)......now I know someone with Crohns is receiving DLA theres a good chance my OH will get it... he has been very ill with it lately

Thanks again

NWJ x

Lower Rate DLA IS £18.65 a week

Disability Living Allowance - rates and how to claim : Directgov - Disabled people

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

• 2 weeks later...

hi nowayhose,

i think that me and your hubby are in a similar position, i had my third op for crohns last year when they reversed my stoma, took out my gall bladder and did a strictoplasti(or something like that) on some diseased bowel which they didn't want to remove for some reason. i received my letter last week saying that i was no longer going to receive ESA.

they accepted that i dont have control of my bowels and gave me 6 points,like you say you need 15 to qualify.

im so (edit) about all this, luckily my wife sorts most things like this out, otherwise i dont think i could cope.

i still have to appeal(thats how i dropped on your thread) but dont hold out much hope after reading what you have had to say.

i could go on but im affraid ive got nothing positive to add, except to wish you and your husband all the best for the future.

Edited by ErikaPNP
bypass of the swear filter

Shifta so sorry to hear of your problems, I wish I could offer you some help, but unfortunately in the same position, hubby been out of work since last dec now and no prospect of any work in the near future Crohns is a very under estimated illness and unpredictable.... I really sympathize with you and hope things improve for you in the future....NWJ:)