Housing & Council Tax Benefit

jamees
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wanted to enquire about something.

When someone is no longer a student and may start work, do they start making non-dependent deductions or what happens when you stop becoming exempt from paying rent and council tax (as the case when you were a student). Does the council contatc you immediately?

Do they class your income with the parents income and combine it as if you were one of the partners... and then assess it like that, or how...?

Cheers

When student status ends benefit gets calculated on their GROSS earned income so either 5 weekly, 2 monthly payslips will be needed or a letter from the employer stating the NINO, date started working and gross salary. The young person's earned income only gets taken into account if they are over 18. If JSA is claimed and the person is under 25 no deductions are made. Just keep the council informed. But as I said on your other thread if the claimant is receiving AA NO deductions are taken.

Would it not be easier to keep to the one thread? Or is this a seperate enquiry?

If their income as a couple is £25,000 then yes, BUT if the student is a non-dependant that is treated as a separate income and the amount of housing and council tax that the non-dep has to pay is assessed on the GROSS income. It is worked out on a sliding scale, someone earning £20000.00 can afford a larger contribution than someone on less than half that amount.

Firstly, if its the daughter of the claimant, then this means she is a non-dependent...? It is not a couple just daughter and one claimant.

Secondly is there a rough way of figuring how much they would ask her to pay for housing and council tax? The claimant currently receives a lot of help from the councl and housing benefit, but is there a way of thinking how much she would have to pay...? Even if I pm you with brief figures or some other way..?

I think gross income means before tax is deducted.

Thanks a lot for your help sallysas.

Yes, gross income is before any deductions.

This will give you the information you need to work out how much housing & council tax the non-dep will need to pay Non - Dependant Deductions just remember these are weekly figures so an income of approx £20,000.00 annually will work out at roughly £500 per week.

If the claimant is over 65 the non-dependant's income is not counted for 6 months from the date she starts work if the claimant is not receiving DLA or AA and not counted at all if DLA or AA is paid to the claimant.

Thanks

So if I have read this right...it would be £47.75 for rent so (£47.75 would be deducted from the current HB entitlement and £6.95 deducted from the current Council tax entitlement..?)

• 2 weeks later...