Jump to content

Partial Council Tax Exemption?


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

After I graduated I recieved a council tax bill for the year after graduation.


I have letter from my University saying I left at the end of June (end of term). The council tax bill starts in April.


Am I right in thinking that I can claim student exemption for part of the year ie Months April, May, June. 3 Months?


This would be a 25% reduction on a 12 month bill?


Or can you only have council tax exemption for an entire year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi soma


Not sure about that! I think, they will give you a pro-rata discount for the months you are 'officially' still a student ie end of June. I think when you hand in the letter from your Uni to your council, they work it out from that.


Good luck


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Providing the course lasted at least 24 weeks of an academic year and it was for more than 21 hrs per week then you are a student up until the day the course ends and claim your exemption until that date.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

my council has tried a similar trick. you are taxed on a daily basis per s.2(1) Local Government Finance Act 1992. have them change the start of the taxable period to the date you finish your course - graduation in most cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...