• Tweets

• Post #9 suggested some options to avoid or put off having a smart meter. Post #12 a simple solution to your complaint about the ay they handle fixed monthly DD. It's not really clear why you posted if you're going get irate when members "jump in" with suggestions. You can see what I'm referring to on "gasracker.uk" to allay your suspicion that I was lying in Post #16 which was made to correct ther misinformation shown in your Post #15
    • Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. They also say they do not/will not disable any smart functionality when they fit a smart meter I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
    • Point taken that we should inform new Caggers that the £20 option is there in wrong registration cases.  Well, supposedly there, who knows what the PPCs would do in practice.  Anyway, the option is allegedly there with both the BPA as you say, but also the IPC (I've just checked). However, there's a danger here of baby, bathwater. The two easiest types of cases to win are (a) residential - due to Supremacy of Contract and (b) wrong registration - due to "de minimis".  Indeed until recently we has been boasting that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing. We simply can do nothing about a terrible judge.  The judge seems - I say seems because we haven't had all the details - to have ignored "de minimis",. got fixated on a sign and awarded unreasonable behaviour costs.  A totally bizarre judgement.
    • You mean your witness statement 
    • That may be your personal claimed experience I said i didn't want smart meters - you jumped in to recommend smart meters I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest paying what I owe every month I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest a variable tariff - even if its one that only varies on a daily basis rather than half/hourly - with prices higher in winter when you need it and lowest in summer when you need it least   politeness ends with: - I'm NOT interested in any smart tariff I see, You are pushing your smart meter + variable tariffs in the wrong place - try pushing them somewhere 'nearer to home'  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mbna Partial Settlement Help Please

chmai1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i was sent a letter from mbna offering a partial settlement.saying:

call and discuss the possibiliy of settling your account with a payment of £5,945. if accepted the account would register as a partial settlement; however we would not take any action to recover this amount.

so concidering i owe £17k i thought i would ring up.

so to cut the story shorter, by the end of the conversation they said i could get away with paying £4200. i must pay £360 at the end of this month then the same next month. then the following month i need to pay the outstanding balance of 4200-the 2 payments.

so i was very happy with this untill today reading this forum!

people on here are saying if the account is recorded as partial payment the amount left not payed can be chased from me by debt collection agencies.

i was obviously thinking if i made these payment nothing more would be payable to anyone, i.e finished closed done!

is this true?

i would much appreciate all input as i need to know what to do about the first payment i need to do very soon.

many thanks

i was sent a letter from mbna offering a partial settlement.saying:

call and discuss the possibiliy of settling your account with a payment of £5,945. if accepted the account would register as a partial settlement; however we would not take any action to recover this amount.

so concidering i owe £17k i thought i would ring up.

so to cut the story shorter, by the end of the conversation they said i could get away with paying £4200. i must pay £360 at the end of this month then the same next month. then the following month i need to pay the outstanding balance of 4200-the 2 payments.

so i was very happy with this untill today reading this forum!

people on here are saying if the account is recorded as partial payment the amount left not payed can be chased from me by debt collection agencies.

i was obviously thinking if i made these payment nothing more would be payable to anyone, i.e finished closed done!

is this true?

i would much appreciate all input as i need to know what to do about the first payment i need to do very soon.

many thanks

See if you can get them to put the quote in writing and confirm that any outstanding balance will not be chased by them or passed onto a third party... if they dont do this then yes its a partial settlement (short settlement) and they'd write off the loss in tax AND sell it onto a DCA:(

Ok, I have had the same partial settlement offer as will have many others. It is first a tactic to establish whether or not you have the means to pay and also, are willing to pay.

It is not a full and final settlement and you will still be pursued by DCA's for the outstanding amount.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

mmmmmmmmm.

thats not good then, there is no point in me getting into futher debt with a family member if they are still going to chase for the full amount.

i might as well just let the sell it to a dca then eh?

hi, no i didnt know about it untill today!

but wont thas **** them off, and then take any settlement offer away?

Don't be fooled...it's NOT a settlement. It's a way of getting a lump sum off you asap!! They will write off the remainder of the debt against tax and then flog your balance to a DCA.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

so should i call them up and tell them i have done some research in how they deal and tell them to stick it up their a***?

and say i am going to request the cca?

Don't be fooled...it's NOT a settlement. It's a way of getting a lump sum off you asap!! They will write off the remainder of the debt against tax and then flog your balance to a DCA.

Chmai1.. see my advice in post 2 (although this would involve contacting them)

They wont put it in writing as a F&F and hence you know its a worm on the end of a hook.

PmW

ok cool i think i will call them and say that no payment will be made unless i get a singed letter saying its f&f and wont be passed on to a third party for the rest of the ballance.

if they cant do that they i will do the cca request. i cant remember when i got the card but it must be at least 8 years ago.

i am so gutted today! i though things were looking good, then i decided to have a look on this website. BUT ITS JUST AS WELL I DID.

ok cool i think i will call them and say that no payment will be made unless i get a singed letter saying its f&f and wont be passed on to a third party for the rest of the ballance.

if they cant do that they i will do the cca request. i cant remember when i got the card but it must be at least 8 years ago.

i am so gutted today! i though things were looking good, then i decided to have a look on this website. BUT ITS JUST AS WELL I DID.

Sorry Chmai...but I have ten or so of the same letters sitting with me now. Each time, the discount increases...think it started at 30% and now up to 60%. However, the letter clearly states that this is a partial settlement.

Let us know how you get on...but there is a similar thread to this where someone asked for the details in writing and all he received was a rather vague letter with no specific details, asking him to ring to discuss the terms!!

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

hi, phoned up today, was talking for ages and they said it would be marked as partial settlement satisfied and told me 100% that this would be the end of the account and not them or anyone would chase me for the balance. i have asked for it in writing. it does seem ok to me. i am not bothered about it saying partial settlement satisfied on my credit record as long as that is the end of the account.

hi, phoned up today, was talking for ages and they said it would be marked as partial settlement satisfied and told me 100% that this would be the end of the account and not them or anyone would chase me for the balance. i have asked for it in writing. it does seem ok to me. i am not bothered about it saying partial settlement satisfied on my credit record as long as that is the end of the account.

Not wanting to sound paranoid or over suspicious.. can I suggest you post up or type out the offer minus personal details to ensure it is kosher and will stand up legally [someone else will need to check that, I havent a scooby] that they wont chase or sell on the remainder of the debt...

PmW

Honestly, that is crap. Are they prepared to put that in writing?? If they are not going to pursue the debt then they may as well mark it as full and final don't you think.

Sorry to appear negative, but you aren't exactly dealing with a company renowed for it's integrity!!

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Not wanting to sound paranoid or over suspicious.. can I suggest you post up or type out the offer minus personal details to ensure it is kosher and will stand up legally [someone else will need to check that, I havent a scooby] that they wont chase or sell on the remainder of the debt...

PmW

I don't believe that there will be an offer as such yet...it will either be a standard letter with a big box printed at the top offering a discount or else a statement detailing alternatives.

My latest says:

3. Call and discuss the possibility of settling your account with a payment of £X. If accepted, the account would register as a partial settlement; however we would not take any action to recover this amount.
BUT, they don't say that they won't sell the debt on to a DCA for peanuts who will try and recover the monies.

Naturally, I want Chmai to do what's best for them. However, I also don't want them to be conned into believing that this is the end of the matter.

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

when i get the letter i will pop it on.

is there any posts on here that have accepted the partial settlement and had problems after. i cant find any?

the way i see it is that obviously they wont mark it as full and final because its NOT full and nowhere near. but as long as the remaining debt wont be chased then its fine. i wouldnt expect them to mark the account as being 100% paid and making my credit rating good again.

This is a quote from another thread from reputed member 'Banker Rhymes With'

Tread carefully with any form of discounted offer from a banker, and especially Amex.

Many bankers throw out offers like confetti and, in many cases, they are not at all sincere. The vast majority are just blunt tricks to try and get people to Telephone them, the larger the discount, the more they hope people will knee jerk into picking up the Telephone.

You can see their logic: if someone is interested in Paying 20%-40% of the alleged Debt, if nothing else, it tells them they can and want to Pay 20%-40% of the alleged Debt. That is probably the whole purpose of the offer. It may, for example, make the Debt more sellable to a DCA, as they can say the Debtor has indicated a willingness and desire to Pay £x, thus making the Debt much more attractive when it goes up for tender or auction sale in DCA Land.

However, whilst some offers are a little more sincere, most of these real offers often carry a nasty little sting in the tail. These are the ones that can be called Short Settlements, i.e. they offer a lump sum discount, but neglect to point out they can still chase you for the balance.

What you need, assuming you have the funds available to pay any offer, is a binding Full and Final Offer, one that includes a written undertaking from the banker concerned that when you make the Payment, that is the end of the matter for good, no strings attached whatsoever. You'd be wise to include other specific clauses such as the removal of any adverse Data, along with an undertaking that they will desist from ever mentioning the alleged Account ever again, to anyone.

Get all of that in Writing before you Pay them a penny, and make sure the F&F Offer Letter is signed by a real banker, not one of the facsimile signatures and invented names you see on many banking letters. For example, one bank in particular seems to use a number of names that do not appear to relate to real people. Amex may do the same, so make sure any Signature is signed in ink, by hand, and by someone with the appropriate level of authority within their organisation.

I think you can now see that any offer has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and it may not mean very much. By that, I mean it may not be a reliable indicator of the strength or weakness of their position.

Indeed, 97 times out of 100, it's just a vehicle being used to convey other less palatable intentions.

Short settlements are the same as partial settlements.

Link here for you...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/show-post/post-1771581.html forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gif

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

yes i had read that befor. but there doesnt seem to be any posts of people experienceing problems after paying the partial settlement, well i cant find any.

so it makes me think that it my be ok.

surely if someone had paid the partial settlement then got chased for the balance after they would be straight on here saying so? dont you think?

Ok, clearly you don't want my advice so I shall bow out gracefully.

However, all I will say is that the only way you can guarantee that you won't be pursued for the outstanding balance is to have a FULL & FINAL SETTLEMENT.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're not an MBNA employee...

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

i am just trying to do whats best. i am in a hole that i want to get out of. maybe i am trying too hard to be possitive.

but i would like to see some feedback from someone who has done the partial settlement to see what happens after. dont you think that is a good idea?

have you read any posts regarding the above.

i much appriciate your help. dont get annoyed with me!

i am just trying to do whats best. i am in a hole that i want to get out of. maybe i am trying too hard to be possitive.

but i would like to see some feedback from someone who has done the partial settlement to see what happens after. dont you think that is a good idea?

have you read any posts regarding the above.

i much appriciate your help. dont get annoyed with me!

Perhaps it would be wise just to sit and wait for the letter to come and then post it up.

PmW

From another thread posted on 21 Feb 2009

Oh dear, oh dear.

I've just had a phone call from my father to say that MBNA will not be offering "full & final payment". They will offer "Partial" or "Short" payment but can not guarantee that a debt collection agency will not come after the remaining money owed.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/180496-should-my-father-accept.html#post1994640

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Your choice to take the offer or not – but wouldn’t you want to know if they had a valid agreement in the first place? For your own peace of mind you should request that the offer is put in writing before you hand over any payment.

There is nothing to stop MBNA taking your lump sum payment and then selling the debt on and in 2 or 3 years time a DCA comes a knocking on your door asking for settlement of the balance – which has now racked up a few grand in extra interest.

And what will you say? I paid them a lump sum and it was in full settlement of the whole balance. And what will they say? Tough luck – we bought this debt legitimately so pay up or we will issue a claim.

Think about how you are going to prove that the lump sum payment was full and final – not today but in 2 or 3 years time.