Will I get my money back from unscrupulous dealer?

lmm23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all -

I've issued a claim for a full refund in respect of a faulty car purchased from a second hand car dealer (head gasket problem). As I expected, they haven't responded, and I entered a judgment in default. However, they are unlikely to respond to this, so I am considering issuing a warrant through the county court.

The problem is that the company is contending that they are insolvent. I have checked - they're not. Also, they have changed their trading name. However, if you look up the company online, the url contains the old company name! Furthermore, when I visited the company, it was clear the same people were working there. This was disputed, but they knew all about the car I bought and the issue with it, and I hadn't even given my name at that point! *Idiots*

Quite simply: I'm concerned that if I issue a warrant, the bailiff won't get the money back on the car (£1,295) because they have changed their trading name, even though it is obvious they are clearly pulling 'fast one'.

Is this accurate? Can I state my concerns before hand, and have those taken into consideration? It's infuriating to think that they can refuse my claim (there are others!) from a little bit of paper work :???:

Thanks very much in advance for any help

lmm

If its just the trading name they have changed it should not make any difference; however if its the registered company thats gone and they have set up another one then the original company does not exist anymore, so you cant get anything. Do you know the name and address of the owner/directors. have they got a web site, you can check the details of the web site domain owner whom are ususally the same as the company owner.

They are a limited company, yes. I've lodged an objection to its strike off with companies house; also, I've checked with them and the new company - Leicester Car Sales - has not been registered. Given that the company did not go insolvent, I wonder if that means that they are still trading, for all intents and purposes, still trading under their old name (A50 Car Sales).

Out of interest, how would I find out who is behind the website? There are two copies of the website out there, one with the old company name and one with the new (but with the old company name in the url).

Many thanks

lmm