Jump to content

Help I want to take my council to court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Dear all

If you'd told me what has happened to me over the last 4 years ,I could not have believed that it could happen in this country.

I was on chemotherapy and for the 1st time I claimed benefits . My local council failed to adminster both housing benifit and council tax benefit and I became homeless living in 1 room with 2 children.I asked for a home visit during my chemotherapy and they refused.The council at stage 2 of a complaint apologised and paid the back benefit 2 years later after ignoring my complaint for a year , however they failed to pay interest ( my mother a retired school teacher had paid the rent) they failed to compensate me for losing all my furniture ( I was left with just a suitcase) they failed to put back what they took away from me; they took me to court for council tax I didn't owe ,eventually admitted by them , but no compensation for my time .They apologised for their mistakes and the distress they caused me but that's all.I have considered the ombudsman but they rarely compensate properly.Can you make a personal injury claim against a council? I'm actually crying as I write this ,I can't let them get away with this

I am in reasonable health now ,but in complete shock over what happens to the vunerable .

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Sarah am sorry no ones has replied yet,


If I was in your shoes I'd ring the council and ask for the contact details of the chief executive,( it is actually on their correpondence but when someone rings up wanting it they get all scared :)

They'll want to know what you want it for so I would tell them, and also ask for the contact details of the borough councillor and MP, ( then listen to em sweat)


Then draft a letter detailing what you feel they have done wrong and how you expected them to have remedied it and how they still have not done so. ( don't send it yet just chill out and re-read a few times)

Then if you decide to go ahead I would request all the information of the time this happened under the FOI act 2000. They only have 20 days to comply so the heat is on for them.

If you want to go ahead post a reply and let us know what you decide. You are not alone in this although I must admit I've never heard of a council going THIS LOW. but nothing with them surprises me anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi casbah

Update for you , someone contacted me who saw my post on here .I've gone through all 3 stages of complaint , last stage was the chief executive and contacted my MP.Council is late with freedom of information realease already. The only step left ( as I regard the govt ombudsman as a toothless tiger ) is to take them to court under benefit and housing law, in addition to personal injury ( I've been told I can't take them to court under disability discrimination due to Malcom v Lewisham case law) I'm waiting to hear if the firm of solicitors can take my case. I will keep all updated.They do go this low , if you're extremely ill then you can not look after yourself , I was so ill I couldn't even walk or ask for help. I have noticed that those who shout the loudest get further .Believe me , I have my voice back

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Girl,


Councils seem to think they above the law sometimes, a friend of mine was living in a 2 bed flat and had only one child, I lived in a 1 bed flat with 3 children, she applied for a move, she got it, I applied for a move and was refused. why? because she had never worked and always claimed benefit, so her rent account showed no late/missed payments. I had always worked and got a black mark!!!! Hows that for justice?

Link to post
Share on other sites



You have to be really firm and absolutely know the law ( say you've spoken to shelter that flips them out) You're overcrowded under housing law so I don't get this . Still waiting to hear if the solicitors will take this on ,if not I will do it myself ,also got a group of residents together who are disgusted ,so they'll end up with an occupation of their offices if they don't rectify what they've done to me ( with our money of course !!!!)


keep fighting



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...