'Central Parking' fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Myself and my sister where doing some shopping on Sunday (15/03/09). She is the mother of a new baby. In said shopping centre (Chesire Oaks collesium) the mother and baby parking spaces (with wide un-loading areas which we needed for the pram), are right next to the disabled spaces. Niamh (baby) wanted a bottle so we parked up and fed her, before getting out of the car and going shopping for a mother's day present.

We return to find a ticket on her dashboard saying that my sister (driver, not owner) was parked in a disabled bay and needed to pay an £85 (:eek:) fine!!!

This is reduced to £60 if she pays within 14 days.

We have obviously parked in a disabled spot by accident. We originally went to park in the *Actual* Mother and baby bay (which only holds about 6 cars anyway), however it was full so we drove into the next bay, assuming it was a mother and baby one too.

Surely she shouldn't have to pay? she clearly had a 'baby on board' sign on the back of her car. If we'd have known it was a disabled spot, we wouldn't have hesitated to park there, as we needed the extra unloading space.

Are we obligated to pay central-parking, as they are a private firm and not a council? If so, are we likely to succeed with our appeal? I am tempted to ignore it.

Thanks for all your help,

Josh

• do not pay

• do not contact them

ignore their threatening letters

• they will give up and go away

It's an unenforceable invoice, dressed up as a fine. It's a [problem].

Ignore away and don't worry. There is no appeals process - it's a con.

So is 'central-ticketing' not a legit company or do they just not have any legal rights to take money off my sister?

Hi

Its a [problem] so please follow the above advice. CT are well known on here so do not worry. CT's invoices (as are most PPC's) are fraudulant at best and certainly misleading. They will of course try to intimidate by letter to obtain money but simply meet that by ignoring anything that comes your(or your sisters) way. Be prepared for a few letters from them and thier DCA though.

How do these companies get away with it?! Just to clear things up for her, is there something I could print off to explain it to her in-detail?

Sorry to be such a pest, I did look for the sticky that people seem to talk of but I can't find it myself- gives me an expired link.

How do these companies get away with it?! Just to clear things up for her, is there something I could print off to explain it to her in-detail?

As lamma indicates the DVLA sells the RKs details to PPCs under 'reasonable cause' that an 'offence' has been committed. The PPC pays the DVLA approx £2.50-£3.00 for each driver. With this in mind the DVLA makes a considerable amount of money from it so wont to stop doing it until legislation is passed to prevent this.

PPCs see this as money well spent as those who are not educated will pay thier invoices regardless. Thats why there are so many PPCs- and most (but not all) gain considerable amounts of revenue.

Many motorists do complain to the British Parking Association and Trading Standards etc but as the private parking industry is unregulated very little headway is made although a few are being investigated at present i believe:)

Its possible yes-usually when it gets to the DCA stage- but doesnt happen that often. The DCA 'agent' will threaten all sorts as per letter so if they phone just tell her to do one thing...hang up!! Dont let her give them a minute of her time- treat them as you would one of thier letters! If there is persistent calls (again unlikely but you never know) let us know

Edited by DDWales
spelling

I wonder how they would try to justify using a name like 'Central'.... it's so obviously designed to mislead....

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

We did originally read it as 'Council-Ticketing' and we where half way through the appeal process on our local council's website before we realised!

Their website has very little information;

Welcome - Home :: Central Ticketing and just looks completely dodgy!

Their logo is similar to a council-type website, too;

logo_centralticketing.gif

We did originally read it as 'Council-Ticketing' and we where half way through the appeal process on our local council's website before we realised!

Their website has very little information;

Welcome - Home :: Central Ticketing and just looks completely dodgy!

Their logo is similar to a council-type website, too;

logo_centralticketing.gif

They are a private parking company. Basically, they are agents that manage private parking sites. They are an incorporated company; however, they have no legal backing or powers. They have no power to set baliffs on you, clamp your car or anything else. They attempt to collect their fines by claiming you breached a contract (parking terms of the car park); however, if you refuse to pay (which is what you should do) they would have to take you to court which they very very very rarely do. This is due to the fact that issuing a penalty under contract law is unlawful (amongst other problems like proving a contract existed in the first place). They have absolutely nothing to do with local authority/police penalty charges. In short, take the advice given here - we have all dealt with these cowboys without any issues.

All the best,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Therein lies part of the [problem]. The wording and letter design that are used by PPCs are designed to be exactly like an official PCN and thats why many people simply pay up. If you have a quick look around the threads and look at some of the pics uploaded you will see where im coming from. Many posters have uploaded the real thing whilst others have uploaded PPC invoices. See what you think......

Edited by DDWales
spelling

If the DCA rings: When you answer the phone never say who you are (you should never really do that anyway until the person at the other end identifies themselves). As them who is calling, when they ask for 'the victim. just say 'hold on please' put the handset down on the table (don't hang the phone up) and go and make a coffee. and drink it. and wash up. and wait a bit. then see if they are still on the phone :)

• 1 month later...

Update: Today we received demand for £85. Sister isn't pleased and won't listen to my reasoning :mad: It was delivered to my Mum as she is the owner of the car, my sister is insured as an additional driver and uses the car.

Is there a specific piece of legislation or a document that I can pass to my sister for her to read and clear the issue up?