How much to have gas meter checked?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4212 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Since having our gas meter changed a couple of years ago our bills are more than usual. I rang our gas supplier who said that British gas would have to come out but would charge me to inspect the meter. They could not tell me how much the cost would be as this is up to Britias Gas.

Does any one have any idea how much this would cost?

Since having our gas meter changed a couple of years ago our bills are more than usual. I rang our gas supplier who said that British gas would have to come out but would charge me to inspect the meter. They could not tell me how much the cost would be as this is up to Britias Gas.

Does any one have any idea how much this would cost?

It costs anywhere from £75.00 to £100.00 if meter proves not to be faulty.

Take a week of readings first and ask them to gain a daily pattern of what you use. Get them also to work it out on current prices and prices before they went up last year.

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!

Hi All

Dont have meter checked, Just tell them that you want it changed as do not trust its accuracy and or calibration (could even mention contacting HM weights & Measure's for advise)

regards

Jdmave

Hi All

Dont have meter checked, Just tell them that you want it changed as do not trust its accuracy and or calibration (could even mention contacting HM weights & Measure's for advise)

regards

Jdmave

My question to the thread poster is:

Are you wanting to find out the reason behind the change in your accounts?

If so, have you ruled out prices going up, changes in your usage, readings havent been estiamted on previous accounts.

Are you being billed on an Imperial or Metric?

Check your meter for an M3 at the end of the reading, check your bill and ensure you have not got an additional calculation of 2.83 which means thats an Imperial calcualtion and there fore your accounts would appear higher.

If you have gone ahead with all that and still unhappy then the meter test can be booked. Gas meter tests are different to elec, they are taken off site to an OFGEM exaiminer who does his stuff. produces the accuracy certificate etc etc.

The charge quoted is not actually to test the meters, it is the cost of having an engineer come out and replace it then the transportation costs to the test centre. The charge is ONLY applied if the meter is found to be ok.

In five years in the industry I have encountered one faulty gas meter causing excessive accounts. Other faults have been stopped or even going backwards which Im sure anyone would prefer.

Im unsure as to if the supplier would take out the meter and change it simply because you dont trust the recalibration of it without going ahead with the M.A.T on it. If they just take it out then you will get your lovely new meter and they wont check it.

Id certainly rule out the above and also check if they will remove the meter becuase you dont trust the recalibration without going ahead with testing it afters. The last thing you need is to be slammed with a levy charge because that meter was actually fine or it could go the other way and prove unuseable.

:confused:

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!

Thanks for your reply MG123.

I will do the checks you suggest. We have considered price increases. we use to have gas oven and hob but changed 1 year ago to electric. So only gas used is for central heating only used for 1 hour each morning then on and off in the evenings. Our bills are approx £150 - £200 more each quarter.

Hiya

Do you know the history of meter (of course not) so why would you want to keep it, Get a fresh one and see how things go.

I appreciate and value the previous posters comments but as I used to work in Meter Operations / Debt recovery for BG I can assure you I have seen many a faulty meter.

Regards

Jdmave

• 1 month later...

Having read the post, I'm quite sure that a possible reason for an increase in your gas bill is very likely to be the new meter.

It is more likely your new meter is very accurate, and that your old meter was in-accurate

Can you remember how old the previous meter was?

It is a fact that meters slow down with age (they pass more gas than is actually registered on the dial) so the consumer gains the advantage.