DVLA clamped car outside my house

hammyhound

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help, the DVLA have clamped a car outside my house for not having any tax, neighbour appeared with it just before Christmas. The day it got clamped he said he was annoyed as that was the day he was taking it for an MOT. Anyway I noticed today that the tax is out of date by 11 months. How long will it take the DVLA to remove the car.

Hi,

This is from the DVLA website

"The fees to release your vehicle are high. If you don't pay for your vehicle to be de-clamped within 24 hours, DVLA will impound your vehicle and if it's not claimed it could be disposed of after seven days."

How it works

Clamping vans patrolling the streets are equipped with automatic number plate reader (ANPR) technology. Roof-mounted cameras read the number plates of vehicles parked at the roadside. The number plates are checked against a list of untaxed vehicles and any identified are confirmed against the DVLA vehicle register. The untaxed vehicle is then clamped, towed away and impounded after 24 hours (or immediately in some cases).

So apparently it's 24 hours. best thing you could do is ring the DVLA direct and enquire.

Good Luck.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

The day it got clamped he said he was annoyed as that was the day he was taking it for an MOT.

If this MOT was pre-booked then there is an exemption for it being on the carrigeway untaxed. The garage would have to corroborate this for your neighbour of course.

If it wasn't a pre-booked MOT, then it is highly likely the neighbour was simply trying this as a good excuse.

Thanks for your help folks, it is still there this morning but if he does have an exemption for the MOT when do the DVLA come and remove the clamp. The neighbour did try to take the clamp off when it was originally clamped and the police arrived but did nothing.

The parking where I live is horrendous anyway and the neighbour has the cheek of having his other car outside his car but leaves his untaxed vehicle outside mine. Our car is stuck further away because of this. I did not "blow him up" as he says, it is a really nice car and I thought it was taxed.

Blooming hell, I might ring the DVLA up on Monday to ask what is going on. The car is only 5 years old, I have a good mind to go over to the neighbour and ask what is going on, it certainly is not going to sit outside my house for that length of time.

HH

Could you try contacting the council ( again ), and talk to their "abandoned vehicles" section. Explain ALL the problems, and see if you can force their hand and get them to remove the vehicle or force the legal owner to.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Blooming hell, I might ring the DVLA up on Monday to ask what is going on. The car is only 5 years old, I have a good mind to go over to the neighbour and ask what is going on, it certainly is not going to sit outside my house for that length of time.

HH

If the road is public highway, then it has absolutely nothing to do with you. There is no right to park outside your house on the public highway.

If the road is not maintained at public expenses, then your neighbour can quite lawfully keep an untaxed vehicle there - as long as it is SORN'd

If the road is public highway, then it has absolutely nothing to do with you. There is no right to park outside your house on the public highway.

If the road is not maintained at public expenses, then your neighbour can quite lawfully keep an untaxed vehicle there - as long as it is SORN'd

It is a public highway but we have allocated parking spaces, we are fined if we don't adhere to them ie park outside the box. He has had his car parked outside his house and left "this other car" outside our parking space. We have had to park either on double yellow lines or 4 streets away.

Anyway the good news is it has gone - my concern was mainly the fact that up until it was clamped he had been driving in it with no insurance, no mot or tax.

A happy ending no doubt.

HH

It is a public highway but we have allocated parking spaces, we are fined if we don't adhere to them ie park outside the box.

Could you expand on that a little please?

You have personally dedicated parking spaces on the public highway?

Who fines you?