style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give advice. I am a tenant. Moved to a new area as I got a new job that paid well. Got let off. Couldn't afford the rent, which is now £8k+. Went to court, judgement given. Landlords solicitor charges add £4k.

The industry I'm in is really dire now, and I don't think I'll get a job in the near future. I am thinking of going bankrupt, moving in with parents, waiting it out for a year until discharged and hopefully market picks up then.

Applied for an overseas role. If I get a role overseas and get paid overseas, can they hunt me even though declare bankruptcy?

Sorry, I think I understand now.

I dont want to appear judgemental but I hope what I am going to say might just make you think a bit.

You admit you owe 8K rent and 4K solicitors fees.

You lived in this persons house, so you owe the money, maybe the LL had a mortgage to pay and relied on your rent to pay this. The solicitor put the hours in so obviously needs paying too.

I think that it is terrible to try and run from paying what you owe.

If you got a job overseas then you should contribute to the debt. I understand everyone has tough times financially but maybe you could have applied for housing benefit to cover your rent if you were made redundant.

My opinion is that you should not try and shaft your ex LL even if you only pay what you can.

Anyway thats my 2 penneth

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you

No job confirmed, just applied. Of course I'd pay smtg. if I could. Landlord didnt want to hear it, not even my offer to pay bit by bit. Judge said I have to move out in 7 days and pay in 7 days. Bro is around to help with moving.

All I can say is, for this to happen to me, it shows how bad our economy is.

No, just that if I am successful in getting a new role, it will only be oveseas as there's no chance of getting anything in the UK in this industry for at least 12-18 months. I feel it's going to get worse, hence looking hard outside UK, even in Nigeria (industry clue here).

Just want some peace to settle in a new place and find my feet without any hassle from ex-landlord. Thats if I get a role. If not, I might have to go on the dole if unsuccessful. Never used benefits, jobseeker allowance, housing, nothing. Too much pride and feel there are others more in need.

I've no credit cards, no loans, nothing. Just this tenancy CCJ.

Kick_his_butt,

Do you think it'll be a god idea to go bankrupt and wipe slate clean of CCJ? And privately call ex-landlord, explain again why I'm doing this and say I'll pay back when things pick up? Or he can even have my dole money?

6 days left now

If you can't pay within the 7 days apply to vary the judgment. The court should only order you to pay what you can afford.

If the reason for wanting to clear the CCJ is to improve your credit rating then bankruptcy would be a poor choice.

And with respect, your faith in preserving your pride is misplaced, as if you are being evicted for non-payment of rent you are not in a position to worry about that. Next time claim housing benefit for goodness sake: it doesn't stop others more in need from claiming too.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Bankruptcy should be a last reort, in my opinion. I beleive it can take 7 years to come off your credit file. Yes all your debts "disappear" and in a year you are discharged but Im sure this will affect your life more than asking the court to vary your judgement.

If your credit history has been good up to now and you are worried about it in the future bancruptcy does not seem to be the best option to you, a CCJ is not good on your credit file but a bancruptcy is a million times worse.

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you