Debt Collection Agency Doesn't Know Where I live...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, would be very grateful if someone in the know could give me a couple bits of advice...

A few years ago I went to university but left in the first year. While I was there, I racked up some fines for misconduct while living in halls, totalling £180.00 (I did sign something saying I agreed to their rules of conduct before living there, but £180.00 was excessive for what I actually did).

I've calmed down and matured since, but thought that since I don't go to that university anymore I would get away with just not paying it despite the numerous letters from them sent to my parents' address. Just recently my parents scanned and emailed me a letter they got from a debt collection agency, "STA Graydon", threatening to take me to court and damage my credit rating.

I haven't lived at my parents' address for over a year now, but all correspondance still goes there which obviously means they do not know where I live. I told my parents to ring them up and say that I do not live there, they do not know where I live now and to stop sending them letters.

A) Will they find me? Only my bank, workplace and internet provider know my new address. I share a flat with others. My name isn't on the ellectoral register for that address or anything.

and

B) Is it true that they have to find me and make contact with me first before they carry out the above things that they threatened me with?

Again would be very grateful if anyone who knows could give me those facts. Thanks.

Tell your parents to tell them to get lost & to report the threat monkeys to the OFT & trading standards if they dont go away.

Its unlikely they will find you - but DCA's are sneaky & persistant.

If they do, just post back here & we'll advise you ;)

Rules are rules and if you break them you get penalised so bite the bullet and pay it you cannot keep running for the rest of your life. I f you rented a flat to someone and they damaged it I am sure you would want compensation. Use, what if any, intelligence you picked up from uni before dropping out and get on with life:evil:

Rules are rules and if you break them you get penalised so bite the bullet and pay it you cannot keep running for the rest of your life. I f you rented a flat to someone and they damaged it I am sure you would want compensation. Use, what if any, intelligence you picked up from uni before dropping out and get on with life:evil:

:rolleyes:

It wasn't a fine for damage, it is them trying to make some profit out of me because of things like loud music and messing about. I don't think I should have to pay £180 for some minor messing about I did when I was still a teenager, like I said I have matured since then and want to get on with my life. £180 is still a lot of money for me at the moment though and just want some advice on whether I am safe from them.

It wasn't a fine for damage, it is them trying to make some profit out of me because of things like loud music and messing about. I don't think I should have to pay £180 for some minor messing about I did when I was still a teenager, like I said I have matured since then and want to get on with my life. £180 is still a lot of money for me at the moment though and just want some advice on whether I am safe from them.

Yes you will be safe from them...they have no legal powers without going through a county court 1st (if they ever find you that is)

Ignore the troll on here & listen to the regular Caggers advice ;)

By saying 180 pounds was excessive for what they actully did thats their opinion but obviously the uni thought differently and in my eyes Bananaman 3333 is admitting his guilt and trying to get away with it.I have sympathy for people in proper debt but I do not have any for this one .Used to work at a uni and know how disruptive some students can be especially if others are trying to study and want peace and quiet:)

So just to clarify - until they find me, they can't touch my credit rating and make it difficult for me to get a mortgage for the next seven years, right?

Im sure they will try...but they have no legal authority over you without going through the county court 1st.

If they do anything like you've said without going down that route 1st then you will have their sorry asses for compo & complaints to the OFT/trading standards etc..;)

I am not a Troll, just someone giving my honest opinion on the situation,if they want to screw their lives up for the sake of 180 quid then so be it :mad:

How would the OP be screwing their life up exactly? :confused:

I must owe every company/DCA in the land & it sure hasnt screwed my life up - i still get approved for things ;)

For what its worth to the OP...

I hope you had a damn good time at Uni & look back on it all in years to come with happy memories.....of all the mischief you caused :D

How would the OP be screwing their life up exactly? :confused:

I must owe every company/DCA in the land & it sure hasnt screwed my life up - i still get approved for things ;)

For what its worth to the OP...

I hope you had a damn good time at Uni & look back on it all in years to come with happy memories.....of all the mischief you caused :D

With your attitude, know wonder the countrys in the state it is

Well if I got £180 fine for playing loud music and messing about, I'd be owing millions by now.

Does seem exessive for what most students do on a daily basis though. :rolleyes: I won't tell you some of the stuff we used to get up to in my college days lol.

I think I'd have got fined last month if I was in Uni. Drunken wheelie bin race down the lane where my local pub is. Then home for a midnight laser show that could be seen for about 30 miles over South Cheshire.

I might not be a student anymore, but I could teach them a lot of new things to get fined for. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Well if I got £180 fine for playing loud music and messing about, I'd be owing millions by now.

Does seem exessive for what most students do on a daily basis though. :rolleyes: I won't tell you some of the stuff we used to get up to in my college days lol.

I think I'd have got fined last month if I was in Uni. Drunken wheelie bin race down the lane where my local pub is. Then home for a midnight laser show that could be seen for about 30 miles over South Cheshire.

I might not be a student anymore, but I could teach them a lot of new things to get fined for. :D

I wont go into the antics of my college days....for decency purposes ;)

Its not as if the £180 is a Court fine or anything. Its just like getting a hundred lines when you were at school. I seriously doubt the legality of it too. If the DCAs come a knocking at your parents door tell your parents to tell them to BOG OFF. They have no LEGAL powers.

Ignore the troll.

I wont go into the antics of my college days....for decency purposes ;)

I did all that too, but was too polite to mention it. ;)

Anyway I know where Bananaman lives....

29 Acacier Road

I used to watch the cartoon series when I was young. :D

What's the betting that STA Graydon now send letters to every address in the country that begins with 29 Acacier Road. :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related