How To Reclaim Pre 06/04/07 Deposit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have read the sticky posts above and understand that since I entered into an original tenancy pre 06/04/07 the new legislation doesn't apply. [EDIT - I have since found out that the first sticky thread is wrong. Any AST renewed after 06/04/07 is covered - See post #12 of this thread]

I need advice on how to reclaim my deposit as neither the LA or LL are answering my correspondence.

Here are my circumstances:

Signed a 6 month tenancy and paid a deposit of £850 on 15/02/07 and renewed periodically with a final six months ending on 15/10/08. I gave notice in Oct 08 and was due to move in Nov 08 but moved early on 23/10/08 to allow new tenants to move in who needed to move quickly. We agreed that the final 8 days rent would come out of the deposit.

The agreement does state that deposits are held with the DPS but DPS confirm they do not hold the deposit.

I have repeatedly asked (verbally and in writing) for a list of deposit deductions (if any) and nothing has been forthcoming. The agreement says that the deposit must be repaid 10 days after agreement of deductions.

Nealry 5 months have gone by and I now want to take action.

How do I reclaim my deposit throught he courts? Does anyone have a standard template for doing so? And do I sue the LL or the LA or both?!

Thanks in advance for your advice. :):cool:

Edited by sprichmal

Since they haven't provided a reason for the deduction I would do the following:

1. Write a Letter Before Action to the landlord summarising the position and requesting return of deposit within 14 days.

2. Submit a claim after 14 days against the landlord. Don't think it has to be complex. "I was a tenant at property A for period B. I paid a deposit as security for damages to the landlord. When I left, it was agreed that X would be deducted to cover rent. However, despite numerous requests including a formal letter before action, the remaining money Y has not been repaid and no explanation has been given for withholding. Therefore I claim Y plus interest at 8% (I think there is a formal way of requesting the interest) plus court costs and expenses."

I am not a lawyer.

Since they haven't provided a reason for the deduction I would do the following:

1. Write a Letter Before Action to the landlord summarising the position and requesting return of deposit within 14 days.

2. Submit a claim after 14 days against the landlord. Don't think it has to be complex. "I was a tenant at property A for period B. I paid a deposit as security for damages to the landlord. When I left, it was agreed that X would be deducted to cover rent. However, despite numerous requests including a formal letter before action, the remaining money Y has not been repaid and no explanation has been given for withholding. Therefore I claim Y plus interest at 8% (I think there is a formal way of requesting the interest) plus court costs and expenses."

I am not a lawyer.

Thanks.:) Will send it off today. I did a bit more research on this site and found the same advice. I will also attach a copy of a filled out claims form.

Cheers!

Edited by sprichmal

Hi there, just my quick two penneth. Did you sign a new tenancy every 6 months? I am a bit confused with "renewed periodically"

Yes, I signed a new tenancy every time. One period actually lasted 8 months (due to intended move) which is why I said periodically rather than 6 months.

Cheers! :)

Well in that case, surely you are intitled to the 3 x fine as the deposit should have been protected on renewal of the tenancy.

Edited by help me kick his butt

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you

I worded it like this.

Initial deposit x 0.00022 = A

A x the amount of days deposit is late = total

X

Thanks for all advice - help me kick his butt. :)

Letter Before Action together with copy of N208 will go off by recorded delivery tomorrow.

Initial confusion as to whether I could claim the 3x penalty or not was caused by some dodgy forum opinions in the first sticky thread which I now know not to be correct.

A neighbour is a solicitor and will give free advice if it goes to court just to make sure I have everything in order.

I'll update everyone on the outcome when the time comes.

Cheers! :)

Edited by sprichmal

Great, will be watching with interest x

So are you claiming 3 x as well?

You do know that you will be claiming for all your deposit to be returned plus x 3 compensation. The LL cant deduct from deposit if it was not protected .,

Great, will be watching with interest x

So are you claiming 3 x as well?

You do know that you will be claiming for all your deposit to be returned plus x 3 compensation. The LL cant deduct from deposit if it was not protected .,

Yes, claiming for deposit plus 3xpenalty. :)

I wasn't aware that LL couldn't deduct if not protected - thanks for that - I'll amend my letter slightly. Do you know which clause of the act refers to this so I can quote it in the letter?

Thanks again for your help! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to say that I now have my deposit back less a couple of minor repairs which we had agreed earlier! :D

The Letter Before Action combined with a copy of a completed N208 did the trick. I sent the letter last Monday (8 days ago) and got the cheque last Thursday which cleared today. The agent had just been sloppy with the admin which I thought was the case and the landlord (who lives overseas) thought everything had been settled earlier. He gave the agent a good rollocking and the cheque came the next day! :D

Many thanks for all the advice - I'd just like to add for future claimants of pre 06/04/07 deposits who might have problems finding info on this wonderful but "organic" forum:

1) Ignore the first sticky thread which says you aren't covered by the Act if you renew your AST after 06/04/07. You are covered and that's based on legal advice I got from a civil litigation solicitor before I sent my "pack" off (fortunately he is a neighbour - so free advice :)). He has pointed out that this is now clearly stated on the relevant Govt website..

Treatment of deposits at the end of the tenancy - Housing - Communities and Local Government

The relevant bit is..

What happens if the tenant has a tenancy agreement that was taken out before 6 April 2007 but he continues occupying the property after the end of that tenancy?

2) The wording I used for the N208 claim form was difficult to find. I eventually found it on a thread buried deep in this forum and I'm staggered it's not a sticky thread - perhaps the forum admins should get rid of the first sticky and replace it with this one?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/residential-commercial-lettings/126261-tds-court-claims-wording.html

The wording I used is from post #10 by Ed999.The wording was checked by my banana neighbour and he thought it was fine.

Cheers - and all the best to everyone else chasing deposits! :D