manual intervention - clarification please

moozie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, new here and I am really hoping I am not asking something that has been answered previously. I looked but I am still confused.

I have all the bank statements relating to my Barclays account. The charges they have applied to the account over the last 6 years come to £630 (and £655 for the previous 6 years but I know I can't claim on that)

Should I still write to them about any manual interventions to the account or should I now sent them the preliminary approach for payment letter?

Thank you very much.

Do both - separate letters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Second recorded delivery to Barclays got there. This was only about 'manual interventions' as I already have all the relevant statements.

I received a letter from them today which says (direct copy):

==========================================================

In regard your mention of 'manual intervention', the DPA does not oblige the Bank to comment about internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing out of order account (if indeed this is the nature of your query), the Bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute 'personal data' under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request.

Notwithstanding the above, the Bank is of course entirely willing to supply the general information that should be disclosed due to the DPA. To initiate the process Barclays will require payment of a £10 fee per individual which should be provided by cheque, payable to Barclays plc, directly to this department. Upon payment of the fee(s) the relevant information will be supplied as promptly as possible.

======================================================

The author did not attend the plain english school, did he?

Should I send the £10 fee and another request?

Many thanks

I had this letter yesterday, I sent it back with the cheque, asking to give me all disclosable personal information.

In reply to his statement about manual intervention I aksed him to clarify whether

The bank had no personal information about manual intervention

or

They do have information but it is in a format that is non disclosable.

I agree about the letter it certainly is not easy to understand

Good luck

• Confused 1

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

I agree about the letter it certainly is not easy to understand

Good luck

I am glad it was not just me - thank you.

I am just drafting a letter back and enclosing a £10 chq. See where we go from here.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

I have now had a huge parceldelivered from Barclays which includes all the statements (do now have them twice) as well as all sorts of other pieces of information like complaints I have made and where they made agreements with me to reduce my overdraft as I was outseidfe the limit etc etc.

Do I have to go through all of this paper before I send them the approach for payment letter?

Thank you

If you know what your charges total is, just proceed.

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice in terms of the 6 years period. In the FAQs, under Can I claim back beyond 6 years? it says:

If you would like to try and claim your charges as far back as you have ever paid them, you should try to do so.

But in the step by step instructions it says:

under the Limitation Act 1980, you can only claim for the last 6 years

I am not sure what to do. Please could you advise.

Also, to clarify (I'm sorry,I am not good at all with all this), the preliminary approach letter includes the total of charges plus interest. Is this the 8% interest worked out with the helpful spreadsheet in the library or is this the interest that is stated on the statements following those charges?

Many many thanks for any advice.

Got the answer on the interest - sorry! A bit more trawling through the library and Inow know the 8% is only used for going to court.

I am still unclear about cvlaiming back longer than 6 years. Any suggestions please?

The general rule (Limitations) is that you can only go back 6 years. However, there is an arguement that because you were not aware that the charges might have been illegal, and that this only came to light when (for instance) you read the OFT statement, so in that case you could not be expected to limit your claim to 6 years.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks