British Gas threatening warrant even though I have paid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to our somewhat tight financial situation, myself and my partner elected to pay our electricity and gas by standing order last year. BG had a tendency to increase direct debits enormously and this had caused us problems and cost us money. With standing orders, we were in control.

BG accepted our proposal and set the S/Os at £40/mth for gas and £67/mth for electricity. All went well, until just before the December bill, Brutish Gas decided that they wanted the S/O for gas to go up to £74! No explanation or reason. I refused and ignored all reminders they subsequently sent.

The December bills came and as usual, my monthly payments went out to BG. I calculated that the payments were adequate to pay the amounts shown on the bills, over the three month period. However, BG had other ideas. They informed me that my S/O of £40 for gas was not enough (even though they had set the figure in the first place) and "cancelled the arrangement", making me liable to pay the full amount outstanding immediately, which I was unable to do.

They became increasingly threatening over the gas bill, until last month, they threatened legal action, prompting a very strongly worded response from me, which I can post on here if need be. I have heard nothing more about the gas since, and on checking my account, after the February payment, I see we are £40 in credit, which I feel vindicates my stance on the standing order amount.

As for the electricity, all was well until 17th Feb, when BG informed us that we had "missed some payments" on our Standing Order payment scheme. We haven't, it's just that we didn't put our payments up from £67/mth to £102/mth as they demanded. Same story as for the gas.

Today I receive a letter dated 4th March, informing me that unless I pay the outstanding amount immediately, they will apply for a Warrant to forcibly (if need be) enter our house and cut us off or fit a pre-payment meter. They also say we may be liable for costs of £361 for obtaining and serving the warrant.

Checking the balance on our account, we are now £68 in debit on the electricity, which will be cleared to all intents and purposes by our standing order for March, of £67, next week.

This REALLY makes my blood boil! We are quite clearly paying enough to cover our fuel usage and have not missed a single payment, yet Brutish Gas obviously do not like having the control over payment amounts in the hands of the customer. They want to set the payments way over and above what the potential fuel usage could be and have us tens or even hundreds of pounds in credit, effectively paying in advance for our fuel.

Well, they can get stuffed. I cannot believe a judge would support their argument, given the plain facts of our payent history.

Can anyone advise on this? Are BG all hot air, and are they within their rights to demand our standing orders are increased, even though the current sums cover our usage, give or take a few quid?

I'm obviously worried about legal action and warrants for entry, and that BG will add charges to our acount for the actions they are being 'forced' to take.

I'm also worried about their insistence that we have 'missed payments', when in fact we haven't. Will that show up on our credit history? Not that it matters overmuch, as that's pretty much shot anyhow!

Can anyone advise? This is becoming a real pain and a cause of anguish for us both.

Hiya Yogsothoth

It would appear your sutck in the fantastic world of SAP which involves you accaount performing circles in the automated system even though your financial circumstances are totally fine.

As previous advised, BG pre warrant letters are very very rarely actioned and they have to follow a very strict regime to get any JP's signature for execution.

The pre warrant letter does what its designed to do, Get a reaction from those customers that never respond but unfortunately they do reach innocent customers.

Regards

jdmave

• 1 month later...

I got an email from BG to say that my standing order amounts were accepted. I immediately emailed them back to say that when my next bill comes in, I may vary the standing order amounts, so as not to be paying too much (or too little), as the next bill is going to be smaller.

They emailed me back saying I was not allowed to change the standing order without their say-so!

If you are confident you can work out roughly what your bill is likely to be, how about saving the amount you would pay BG by SO in a separate account, and using it to pay quarterly bills?

I refuse to pay fuel bills by DD/SO for precisely this reason - I'd rather pay for what I use, not pay over the odds and let them have the interest!

I can't change suppliers as I would have to pay any outstanding amount to BG before they'd let me, by which time I'd owe another quarter etc etc.

I am actually paying quarterly in arrears. I received the bill in march which covers Dec to March, and I'm paying that monthly by S/O in March, April and May!

Paying by S/O (which I set the amount of, whatever BG may say), I simply get my bill (which is for the previous 3 month's usage), divide it by 3, then pay the resultant sum per month. BG have reluctantly accepted that but I expect when my spring bill comes, and the S/O amount drops, then I'll have this whole process all over again, threats of disconnection, warrants, extra charges, the lot.

BG don't like it because not only am I paying in arrears, but the bill isn't actually paid up until 3 months after it's issued!

Having no savings or spare money at all, I can't do anything but that. It's my only option, whether BG like it or not.

So you are paying quarterly in arrear in arrear.

Do you honestly blame BG for being cross about this? Certainly their computers will be set up to begin collection activity every three months if you continue as you are doing and I for one think thaey are correct to do so.

I can't change suppliers as I would have to pay any outstanding amount to BG before they'd let me, by which time I'd owe another quarter etc etc.

You can actually change suppliers if money has been owed for less than 28 days. This applies for Gas and Electricity. The amount owed is transferred over to the new supplier.

Electricity supply

enamae.

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

No I do not work for a utility company and i have had more than my fair share of hassles with them over their incompetence.

Look at it from their point of view. They send you a bill which is for gas already supplied ie in arrears. After two weeks thay are entitled to send reminders and if the bill is not paid in full to commence collection procedures. You are using the your standing order to pay the whole bill at monthly intervals over three months. That is just not the way things should be done and I do not think that you that you are in any position to complain.

I do not use direct debits to pay utility bills simply because it gives to much power to them to dip into my account and to borrow from me. I do not use standing orders either as I pay online within two weeks of receiving the bill. You are using your standing order to delay payment and then complaining when they chase you. You are in fact getting a free loan from them. Surely the correct way is to get up to date with your payments. You would be better if you have financial difficulties to post on a 'dealing with debt' board rather than CAG.