British Gas and Warrants?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just wanted to check with people here that British Gas are obliged to apply for a warrant before they start trying to knock your door down?

Sounds silly but I have just found out from my neighbour that on a certain date they attempted firstly to knock down the communal front door! and then attempted to knock down our side door which leads directly into our flat. Luckily the neighbour confronted him and called the police so this has been logged. The guy wouldnt produce any identification and didnt have a warrant. He ended up giving up and going away, but I am so grateful to my neighbour for this.

I am sure this will give me something good to take up with energywatch. Not sure if they will even be interested, but I am absolutely gobsmacked at this.

Now I am pretty sure this must be illegal - especially as he backed off when confronted - but just checking first to be 100% sure, and let others know about this!

Hi Stuckinahole

This doesnt sound like BG, I can assure you from within the industry that warrants of entry are used in the most extreme cases and even thats after a 1 -2 years of sending the same pre warrant threatening letter.

Jdmave

yea must agree

that would not of been bg.

very very last resort.

not been passd to a DCA has it or got any other debt with bailliffs?

but even so NO-ONE [unless BG on a WARRANT] will kick a door down

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

For BG to excute a warrant they have to jump through hoops with court's to get JP's signature.

Every step has to be documented and they have to demonstrate they have tried all means of contacting the customer and allowed sufficent response time (1-2 years).

Regards

Jdmave

You obviously havent had some of my bad experiences with them and many other Companies then. They have been an absolute nightmare. I have found since I have been in financial difficulty less than half of the Companies involved have done things by the book.

I can guarantee it is. My neighbour confronted him and he was wearing a British Gas top - as I said it has been recorded with the police so can be proven, and my neighbour confirmed it was the same man who came to disconnect us yesterday, so definitely him 100%.

Obviously this isnt something they should be doing from your response (as suspected!), but I can assure you it was an employee of British Gas!

As for they need to document and show they have done this that and the other, in my case I can prove they haven't. Whether anyone cares I dont know, but we have been communicating with them constantly, but they have ignored us because we couldnt meet their extortionate demands.

We had a similar problem a year or two ago with the gas - a meter put in to reclaim debt, but the amount which is meant to be AGREED (as per BG and official guidelines) was not, it was set without consulting us at the rate the guy wanted. Even the guy who came round to disconnect our elec us said that the amount set on our meter to reclaim the debt was extortionate - £25 a week. I have countless examples of BG employees saying contradictory things and not doing things by the book. This is in a long line, but most certainly was BG.

Edited by stuckinahole
Extending

It's worrying that everyone thinks that because they shouldnt do something, they wouldnt. All he needs to do is be able to get in and then make out that a door or window was left open etc.

The guy was BG as the guy who tried to break in was the same guy that came back to disconnect us. Ultimately I ended up paying some of the bill (and received a receipt).

Hopefully this will make people very careful of their own properties because this guy WAS definitely BG, they have confirmed that he made a 'call' on that date - and I have confirmed with the courts and BG that there was no warrant at the time.

So the guy who tried to break in WAS BG, and did NOT have a warrant. As I said, the matter involved the police so I will be informing of Energywatch of this illegal behaviour.

Hi Stuckinahole

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences, however I can say I was once a warrant officer for BG and now moved on, but can hand on heart say BG are pussy cats when it comes to executing warrants and in all my time (7 yrs) they usually bent over backwards.

Regards

Jdmave

It's worrying that everyone thinks that because they shouldnt do something, they wouldnt. All he needs to do is be able to get in and then make out that a door or window was left open etc.

The guy was BG as the guy who tried to break in was the same guy that came back to disconnect us. Ultimately I ended up paying some of the bill (and received a receipt).

Hopefully this will make people very careful of their own properties because this guy WAS definitely BG, they have confirmed that he made a 'call' on that date - and I have confirmed with the courts and BG that there was no warrant at the time.

So the guy who tried to break in WAS BG, and did NOT have a warrant. As I said, the matter involved the police so I will be informing of Energywatch of this illegal behaviour.

You are sure then by the sounds of it. It sounds like you were unlucky as I have never heard of this before. I can say that it would be a rouge employee who will probably be dealt with as the complaint goes through.I agree with Jdmave that all utility companies take very seriously the execution of warrants, it is a criminal offence not to.