University wants me to pay debt within 14 days

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

This site is fantastic. I wish I had found it before. So informative :)

On the 10th Feb I got a letter,

Your local education authority (Kent County Council) has recently advised us that they re-assessed your tuition fees contribution for the 06/07 academic year. Our information is that you are now liable for £3000.00, as the Student Loan Company have recalled the payments they had made to us.

Your account will be adjusted and an invoice forwarded in due course. Kindly forward your payment... blaaa blaa contact blaaa

Your LEA should have written to you to advise of the reason for this, but should you wish to discuss this with them please contact your Local Authority directly (016...) as they do not advise us of the reason for the re-assessment.

Now in that year I quit after a few months. I have no letter from the LEA and have no employment and a balance of -£600 so obviously I cannot pay.

I ignored it. Subsequently they've sent 2 more letters:

24th Feb

RE:OUTSTANDING DEBT £3000.00

We note that you have left the University with a debt outstanding; a statement of account is enclosed for your information.

Please ensure that payment is made within the next 14 days. Payment cant be made in one of three ways:

(they list here cheque, credit/debit card, electronic transfer)

Should you disagree with the account or are unable to repay this debt in full, please contact us to discuss the matter as soon as possible. Payment can be made by monthly instalments.

-----------------------

STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT

date description debit credit balance

05/12/2006 Tuition 2006/07 3000 3000

05/04/2007 Credit 2006/07 3000 0

05/12/2007 Tuition 2007/08 3070 3070

14/02/2008 TUITION 2007/08 3070 0

11/02/2009 TUITION 2006/07 3000 0

10th March

OUTSTANDING DEBT £3,000.00

According to our records your debt of £3000 remains outstanding.

(lists payment options again, also says i can pay by standing order)

-----------------------

BANKER'S ORDER

(attached form where I put bank details and personal details like address)

I see a payment being made and paid for the year 2008 when I didn't even attend the university.

Obviously I'm in no situation to pay off this debt, so what are my options? So far I've just been ignoring them. If I ignore them, the worst that can happen is that I blacklist my credit record? What other alternatives do I have?

Thank you :)

have you spoken to them, with regard to paying this, maybe in instalments or are you in the position you are unable to pay?

if you owe the money the university could in theory obtain a ccj against yourself where the courts can enforce payment plus of course your credit rating is affected, do you actually owe the money? they say that they sent a letter stating why the student loan co. recalled the money, did you recieve this? its unusual for the loan co to take the money back

yeah I think your right babydoll I think the poster is gonna have to pay the debt and best if he can come to some arrangment with the uni to pay even if its a small amount every month

remember, they cannot get blood out of a stone

Hi i know for a fact they will have to pay it back ..we all know that student loans have to be payed back eventually normally after finishing uni and earning more than 15,000 a yr ..but if you leave uni half way through they want the money back there and then ..like i say my son pays £20 a mth they happy with this ..they very good if you ring them ..As we all know you can get blood out of a stone so if he could only afford 5.00 a mth they will be ok :)

I went to uni in the last years of the grant (half grant half loan), the loan does not have to be payed back untill i earn over what they deam to be half the average wage; last year it was about £1900 per month, I know i won't ever be earning that much so i guess i'll get it defered for ever. I know if i had quit before the course was finnished i would have had to pay back my grant aswell. I would imagine the Uni would let you pay it off by payments, the problem comes if you completed the course they may not give you your degree untill you pay em, but as you have none they can't do that. i know when i was there even a library fine outstanding could cost you your degree, and they know how to give library fines. as far as know things are even less generous now, but as has been said before they can't get blood out of a stone, the important thing is to talk.