New Debit Card Scam - Look Out For "vodafone Cr Card T" On Your Statement!

djrichie_t
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just logged into my online banking account today, and saw 3 payments (with todays date) for £25 with "VODAFONE CR CARD T" next to them.

Phoned barclays and they immediately cancelled my debit card and are sending me a new one.

They also advised me that another £25 has been tried for this morning and will show up on my statement.

Sending me the relevant forms/statement copies for me to highlight the transactions to get my money back. Just means i'm a bit short for a few days and without a card.

Im very wise to phishing scams etc so I can only imagine its somewhere thats cloned my card (difficult as i have always paid cash at places and kept an eye when using the card, covering pin number) or gotten hold of my card number through a couple of online purchases... no doubt a 'cardholder not present' transaction.

Just thought I'd warn everyone that even to keep an eye out for this one.

Edited by djrichie_t

Just logged into my online banking account today, and saw 3 payments (with todays date) for £25 with "VODAFONE CR CARD T" next to them.

Phoned barclays and they immediately cancelled my debit card and are sending me a new one.

They also advised me that another £25 has been tried for this morning and will show up on my statement.

Sending me the relevant forms/statement copies for me to highlight the transactions to get my money back. Just means i'm a bit short for a few days and without a card.

Im very wise to phishing scams etc so I can only imagine its somewhere thats cloned my card (difficult as i have always paid cash at places and kept an eye when using the card, covering pin number) or gotten hold of my card number through a couple of online purchases... no doubt a 'cardholder not present' transaction.

Just thought I'd warn everyone that even to keep an eye out for this one.

Is it a visa debit card?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yes it is

The only companies that I have used online who manually enter card details (rather than through secpay etc) are a couple of DJ/PA/Electronics suppliers

Everywhere else online uses a merchant which instantly processes the card.

I hardly ever use the card in shops etc only asda and maybe once in a blue moon in a garage but I always cover up when using my PIN and always vigilant for people dropping the card behind counter etc.

Looks like its 'cardholder not present' transactions where they have my CVV number (submitted when purchasing online even when details are entered manually)

Edited by djrichie_t

I wonder if it's going to be another one of those enterprising people who nick whole PIN machines from supermarkets. Happened to us a few months back, thinking the same as you, fraud, phishing, how? Turned out the answer was much simpler and that plenty of other people locally had had the same happen to them.

• 1 month later...

After twice having my debit card details stolen, and having money stolen from my bank account, I decided to look for an alternative.

I have now obtained a prepaid credit card that I use for all regular purchases (e.g. weekly supermarket shopping), and all online purchases.

You only deposit enough into the card to cover your intended purchases, so if it does get stolen and the thief also gets your PIN number, they can only steal as much as is available on the card at the time.

There are no credit checks when you obtain a prepaid card.

Further details are available from: Prepaid Credit Card - Pre Paid Credit Cards - Top 10 Free Prepaid Cards

(I have no connection with this web site)

Hi

Just been through my last Bank statment - 2 things that arent mine on there one for £30 prepayment for O2, and one for Parcelforce for £26 and a few pence. Abbey say they will put it striaght back into my account. My Visa Debit card details were used, so thats been stopped and they are changing my pin number to go with my new card when it arrives, in the meantime all my DD have been stopped suspect that more has been taken from the 2nd onwards, as there was just enough in there to cover all my outgoings, so now I am also being charge for stopping DDs and for going over the OD limit, joy! more to contend with.

• 1 month later...

just noticed two lots of £30 taken by VODAFONE CR CARD T on the 9th. phoned smile right away and there cancelling visa card and sending me some documents to sign+highlight so they can refund.

was expecting a hassle on the phone but they handled it very well,though they tried to sell me on a credit card,but who dosent these days lol

can only assume they must have got the details online as I have only used the card in an atm I would consider secure(indoor etc) once or twice, due to how bad a target they are these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my statement through the mail this morning and I noticed my balance was lower than I was expecting. Looked through the transaction details and the last ones were

2 £30 card purchases "payment to Vodafone Cr Card T". Apparently, this card purchase happened last week Tuesday (16th June).

I've only used my debit card online on two places, once on shopto.net and the other on the Playstation Network Store, accessed through my PS3. I don't think my details could've been taken from Playstation Network, seeing as it's isolated. And my purchase at shopto.net was back in February and they even deleted my card details cause it has been inactive for a month. I'm thinking if they had my card details, why wait 3 months before even taking anything.

Anyone got any ideas on how it is happening?? Any tips or help on what to do? I'm only 17, so I'm fairly clueless, though I already called Barclays this morning, but I didn't have enough time so I have to call them back tomorrow.

By the way, craigyhay, are you with Barclays too??

I just received my statement through the mail this morning and I noticed my balance was lower than I was expecting. Looked through the transaction details and the last ones were

2 £30 card purchases "payment to Vodafone Cr Card T". Apparently, this card purchase happened last week Tuesday (16th June).

I've only used my debit card online on two places, once on shopto.net and the other on the Playstation Network Store, accessed through my PS3. I don't think my details could've been taken from Playstation Network, seeing as it's isolated. And my purchase at shopto.net was back in February and they even deleted my card details cause it has been inactive for a month. I'm thinking if they had my card details, why wait 3 months before even taking anything.

Anyone got any ideas on how it is happening?? Any tips or help on what to do? I'm only 17, so I'm fairly clueless, though I already called Barclays this morning, but I didn't have enough time so I have to call them back tomorrow.

By the way, craigyhay, are you with Barclays too??

Although this happened to me about a month ago I just noticed this site. I am with Sainsburys and had a Vodafone transaction for £25 on my card last month. I have had my money refunded and have had to fill in fraud forms so they can investigate.

I also had a transaction for 19p (yes that is right!) for the WA Ballet in Australia on the same day as the Vodafone transaction.

You post stood out because you have used Shopto just like I have. I only use this card on 2 sites: Shopto and Microsoft's Marketplace for the Xbox 360.

This is very concerning that you should reference the same online shop as I use.

Although this happened to me about a month ago I just noticed this site. I am with Sainsburys and had a Vodafone transaction for £25 on my card last month. I have had my money refunded and have had to fill in fraud forms so they can investigate.

I also had a transaction for 19p (yes that is right!) for the WA Ballet in Australia on the same day as the Vodafone transaction.

You post stood out because you have used Shopto just like I have. I only use this card on 2 sites: Shopto and Microsoft's Marketplace for the Xbox 360.

This is very concerning that you should reference the same online shop as I use.

That is indeed very concerning. I haven't heard of any other shopto customers complaining about the same problem however, I did find this: anyone had problems with shopto.net? - Online Shopping - Non-Gaming - Discussion Forum /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

Someone in that forum posted something about the owner of shopto. This is the only thing that makes me think that is Shopto.net that has done this.

Seeing as the only other places you and I have used our cards are the Playstation Network Store and Microsoft Xbox Live Marketplace, I highly doubt it's either of them, unless Microsoft and Sony have signed a treaty to [problem] people of their money hah.

If you find out anything more, please do tell! :)

That is indeed very concerning. I haven't heard of any other shopto customers complaining about the same problem however, I did find this: anyone had problems with shopto.net? - Online Shopping - Non-Gaming - Discussion Forum /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

Someone in that forum posted something about the owner of shopto. This is the only thing that makes me think that is Shopto.net that has done this.

Seeing as the only other places you and I have used our cards are the Playstation Network Store and Microsoft Xbox Live Marketplace, I highly doubt it's either of them, unless Microsoft and Sony have signed a treaty to [problem] people of their money hah.

If you find out anything more, please do tell! :)

There are a few people who got done, this includes me and my friend who both use shopto i had two £30 vodafone top ups done to my card.

heres a few good links suggesting it was defo them

Google Translate

Nothing to see here - Thunderbolt Forum

ShopTo.Net - FORUM

i am pretty sure its them, i use my card for playstation network too but i really doubt they could have leaked anything. we all dealt with shopto who got scammed.

• 3 months later...

I just read all of this and i thought i should say i had 2 lots of £30 taken from my account at the beginning of september 09 by vodafone cr car (thats what my statement said). I thought i would say that i have never used shopto. i only really use my card on asda, tesco and hmv for music and films and occasionally i use paypal for ebay. im also 17 like someone else i read was, so i didnt really know what the bank were talking about on the phone, but abbey have paid the money back and im being sent a new card.

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread but this has just happened to me with the exact same details and amount from vodaphone showing up on my internet banking statement. What I cant understand is why is vodaphone allowing people to top up phones with cards that aren't registered to the same name and address as the phone.

I have only ever used my card ar so called reputable sites...next, bhs and la senza and yet it still hapened. I have only ever given the details over the phone when I made an additional payment to my credit card but as this is with the same bank as my debit card they would already have the details.

Hiya. I looked at my statement thismorning online and noticed that there was 1 transaction made to 'Vodafone cr Cred t' for £30. I knew this wasn't done by me or my partner because we are both on tesco mobile and no-one else has access to my card. I regularly use paypal and a few other sites which i have used for years but nothing out of the ordinary:???:. So I phoned up Halifax and asked about this transaction and 'we told them' that it was a [problem] because my partner looked it up in google. They said that my case is going to be investigated and i should hear something in the next 4weeks. But no mention of getting my money back as yet:evil:. 'I will get it back somehow because i'll make sure of it. Hope everyone got all of theres back too.:)

I too have had this happen. I recieved an automated call from Barclays Fraud Prevention yesterday, I was suspicious (as it was automated) and went to my local branch instead - the particular number that called was not listed on their site. Anyway everything seemed fine on my account, the lady called up this number and was able to confirm it as the fraud department.

I got the call again, decided to listen through - the automated part was just reading out my 4 most recent transactions - the first which was £30 for Vodafone - Once I pressed the key for "Nope, not me paying for that" I spoke to someone, she explained the transaction had been declined so my money was all good, cancelled my debit card and I'm now awaiting a new one in the post.

I rarely used my card - the only thing I'd used it for that day was a payment to livejournal, but all the others were old transactions.

Odd and worrying but I'm pleased that Barclays are ontop of things and prevented this transaction from going through. :)

I have just googled the phrase "Vodafone Cr Card T" as it came up on my online banking. i thought it odd as although I am with vodafone we paid the bill by DD last week and this didnt have the DD reference number with it.

Basically both me and my other half are with vodafone, but when we called them they said it wasnt anything to do with oour account.

1. Called my bank 10.30 this morning. they said they have no more info but seen this before when people were not with Vodafone, so check with them

2. Called Vodafone-was told the money wasnt on my account and the last was the dd last week

3. Partner called Vodafone 11.10 and told not from his account

4. called my bank back-gave me additional info which was the transaction title was "Vodafone cr card top up" and was carried out 10.30 am Saturday 7th November which was odd as i was in an interview and so hadnt carried out any calls or purchases and they also said it was telephone/internet transaction ie not using pin. they said the company number that processed it was listed in their search as "Telecommunication services local and long distance calls"

5. Called Vodafone back 11.25am-

they werre as helkpful as ever telling me that they cannot see this payment; it hasn’t been taken by Vodafone as it isn’t on my account. They cannot do anything without paper proof. I explained I am not waiting a month to get a statement to send in so they said I have to go into the Vodafone shop with a statement to look at this.

any time i have been in my local shop they have to call 191 people to get account info so i cant see this shedding any light on it-only problem is now i am going to have to cancel my card and not have any access to my money and reset up the rest of my DD's

great hey.

BTW I dont bank with arclays, havent shopped at shopto or any other of the plkaces mentioned so i guess it isnt down to one of the companys as suggested?! :???:

Count me in as another victim of this fraudulent use of my Barclays debit card. I got two entires on my bank statement for "Vodafone Cr Card T", (again paid either online or over the phone, according to Barclays). I do have a contract with Vodafone but this is paid by direct debit and most certainly already had appeared on the statement. Barclays have been very good at blocking my card in the past when I've been legitimately trying to make a purchase online for a large amount of money, but they seem to miss these small amounts. You would think that as it seems to be a common occurence their eagle-eyed fraud team would be looking for these very smaller fraudulent payments.

I also think there has to be a problem with Vodafone. Do they have no checking systems in place?

I don't believe my problem came about as a result of online shopping but that my card was cloned, either in one of a couple of shops at Stansted Airport (where I went a few days before the payments were made and then was out of the country when my card was used!), or at an Oyster card top-up machine at Whitechapel Tube Station, which I also used shortly before leaving the country.

I called Barclays as soon as I noticed it; they have blocked my card and are sending me a form to sign to get my money back. I also have to make do without my card until another one arrives in a few days. I hope it comes before I need to buy food!