Wrong Reg number on speeding ticket

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4332 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, i wonder if anyone can advise,

i was stopped by police officers with a mobile hand held speed camera in liverpool (37 in a 30 zone).

when i produced my license at the local station the desk officer pointed out that the registration number the issuing officer had wrote on the ticket was different to my cars, (last three letters where different). the issuing officer asked me the registration number and i told him the correct one (and repeated it), he either wrote it down wrong or misheard, (he did not check the plate on vehicle).

anyway, the desk officer told me that because the number was wrong on the ticket there was a good chance i would 'get away without the fine or points' he advised me to speak to a solicitor.

Does anyone know if i have a chance of getting away without a fine or points?

Thanks in advance.

What's written on the FPN is irrelevant. All that matters is what is written on the summons, and even then, the 'Slip Rule' might apply unless it is more than a minor error.

However, to challenge this will require you to await a court summons and appearance, with the risk of both costs and a higher fine if you lose.

Does anyone know if i have a chance of getting away without a fine or points?

The fact that you were stopped at the roadside means, presumably, that they got your correct name and address.

The Fixed Penalty Notice is simply an offer to pay a penalty without going to court, and the document itself does not form part of the prosecution evidence if you decide to contest it in court.

I can't see any point in involving a solicitor unless you have some other grounds for defending this. If it goes to court, the prosecution will rely on the officer's s9 statement, and even if he puts your reg. no. down wrong in that, the court will allow it to be amended under the "slip" rule.