• Tweets

• what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
    • moved to the debt self help forum. plenty of like threads here to read along with the ones you've done so far..good work. last thing you ever want to do is look at any kind of IVO/BK or anything alike concerning consumer debt, never do that, turns unsecured debts into secured ones in many instances. your best bet for now is p'haps looks at  Options for dealing with your debts: Breathing Space (Debt Respite Scheme) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) sadly you have to go thru one of the free debt charities to invoke that but DON'T be tempted to also open up a DMP with them, just get the Breathing Space done. get that in place that gives you at leasy 60 days buffer you've also goto to realise you'll probably get a default once breathing space is in place, bit if not it might pay you to withhold payments even after BS then p'haps re start payments once a DN for each debt is issued and registered. at least that way, whatever happens in 6yrs the debt will drop off dx  
    • Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Action fraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Carphone Warehouse/SRJ Debt Recoveries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help.

I took a renewal 18 month contract with CPW and after a few months couldn't continue to pay the bill due to financial problems. I contacted them in June 08 to explain my current situation as I had credit cards that I couldn't pay as well. I offered to send the phone back as it had hardly been used. Then they chased me in September 08 which I responded to but they never replied. Then in October I was chased by Commercial credit services acting on CPW behalf. I again responded by letter and fax and also sent my Income/outgoings to show I was in a negative financial state. Again neither CPW or this DCA responded. I received a letter out of the blue dated 23/2/09 from SRJ Debt Recovery saying that CPW have constantly been tring to contact me (a complete lie) and also they were charging me £15 for finding me when I hadn't gone anywhere. i have also received a letter threatning a doorstop collection..Please could someone advie the next step. I have written a letter to SRJ explaining my situation but is there any other way I should respond i.e to CPW direct?? Thanks:confused:

I don't think that there is anything at all which you can do.

Of course, you shouldn't have got yourself into this position and you are in breach of contract.

However, you have tried to act reasonably with them. You have communicated with them. You have tried to discuss the position with them.

Believe me, they don't care. They are prepared to spend money to get you. They think that by hounding you and smashing you and smashing you that eventually they will get money out of you.

There is no regulation of these people. There is no scrutiny and no reasoning and they excerise no reasoning in what they do.

Your only hope is that they decide to sue you so that you can then admit your breach before a judge and argue that you should only be obliged to cover their administrative losses which is all that is required by the law of contract when one party is no longer able to carry out their side of the bargain.

Unfortunately, although they are entitled to sue you, they probably never will. They prefer to spend years of effort making your life hell instead of getting their minimum losses back, going on about their business and hoping that you'll return to them as a good paying customer again when you have sorted your problems out.

Unfortunately this kind of sensible long-term approach is not part of their business model.

They probably wouldn't even understand the English of it if I explained it to them very slowly and slapped them around the head while delivering the message.

Thanks Bankfodder

Is it worth writing to CPW again as well to see if we can come to some agreement? At the mo I am trying to juggle all my other credit card debts as well so life is pretty stressful!!

Sadly, they don't care. There are now a load of service companies who will 'purchase' your debt from CW (at a discount) and then pursue you, as they plan to make a profit on their dealings with you.

It is a sad reflection on the way firms do business and treat customers, but your misfortune is someone else's gain - and CW still get paid - as they see it, a reduced amount is better than nothing at all.

Unless your debt is over £400, I really doubt that you will be taken to court - you'll just be harassed constantly to pay up.

They are not interested in a 2nd hand phone, it has little value and bears no relation to the cost of the contract you agreed to, where the real money is made from you.

I think that the only thing you can do is to make sure that you have lots of copy letters showing that you have done everything to try and come to an agreement so that in the unlikely event that they do sue you, you will be able to show a judge that they haven't mitigated their losses and that they should not pass on unnecessary costs of collection to you.

Yep - that's a good move.

However, be prepared for the long haul as the debt gets sold on to a long list of firms each convinced they have what it takes to make you pay up. I'm sure I'll get shouted at for this next irresponsible advice, but you need to realise the 'damage' has already been done.

There is NOTHING a debt collector can do to make your credit file worse, so whilst what is there will stay in place for 6 years, if you paid it would only change from showing as 'owed' to 'satisfied'. The issue would still sit there until it became time-barred. Which begs the question, assuming you won the Lottery and could pay it all off - why should you bother, as it won't help matters in the slightest.

The industry has only itself to blame for making this type of a decision a no-brainer.

I think court action would be unlikely, because the original debt was about £200, it is their inflationary charges (where they make their profit) that is the issue - and I don't think they would want this scrutinised by any court.

If you can, pay the original money you owe to the firm that supplied the service. Keep proof of payment, and if chased by the DCA, say the debt as been paid and you have no reason to deal with them.

Thank you for the re-assurance. I have tried to contact CPW but the customer services could not help me and cited that the debt had now been passed on to the collection team. I have received a letter when I come back tonight that says ' Notice of Litigation Proceedings ' This made me feel very sick and now I am very worried. I do not want to end up in court, and it could all lose me my job as I have a trusted position. I am very scared and don't know what to do. All I know is that I do not owe 1000 pounds for a mobile phone that I never used because i couldn't. It has taken me such a long time to get life straight and now I am very worried.

I have read that whatever I should do I should not contact S R J by telephone but I am scared and need to sort something out otherwise I could go to court. Please if you have any further advice anyone I would really appreciate it .

Your's very worried

GBRH

Edited by GBRH

There's a BIG difference being taken to court, and you seem to overlook the fact tat people who are innocent of the demand made of them get their chance to tell an independent arbitrator (the judge) the complete story, and a decision can be made on that basis.

Even taking the worst case scenario - let's say you lose, Who's going to know? This is an action for civil debt, not criminal wrongdoing (there IS a difference, in case you hadn't noticed!) - if you lost the case, you would simply be asked to pay up. You gave it your best shot and stood up to the bullies. You now have 28 days in which to pay them. Again, no criminal record, and not even a CCJ on your credit file - as they can only request this 28 days after the case is lost... and only if you refuse to pay.

Stop worrying needlessly. If you are taken to court (and that's a big IF) you get to tell your side of the story, but it is far FAR easier to threaten and scare you witless - and it looks as though they're doing a fine job of that already.

Fight these bullies - it makes you stronger in the long run!

Edited by buzby

Thank you once again for the re-assurance.

I contacted CPW to discuss that this all seemed wrong as previously noted, and explained the position, the representitive in Credit Control was rather kind and helpful, but still said that this had been handed over, which left me very worried. I am a little calmer now. This morning I phoned S R J Debt Recoveries at 1045, they notified me that the Balance had been written off and that I do not owe anything to S R J.

I feel a massive weight has been removed after whatever this mistake that was made had been recognised. And I fully appreciate the support / guidance from both CPW and this forum.

I guess it is possible the disputed debt hasn't been sold on to a company that might harass me in the future. But I feel that I can deal with that when the time comes.

If you clearly explain that there is something wrong, then remedy can be found, and there is a chance to move on.

Thank you, and this shoud be the last time I should write on any such matters.

• 2 months later...

The problem here won't be going to court, that's most unlikely. What will happen (if it hasn't already done so) is your credit file has been trashed. As you'll need to repair this as part of the negotiating process, the first thing to do is get a copy of your file (£2) and take it from there.