• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Aktiv Kapital (GE Capital) Response to CCA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was advised to post this here.

I've had two responses back to my CCA request from Aktiv Kapital.

th_AK-GEC-01.jpg th_AK-GEC-01a.jpg

th_AK-GEC-02.jpg th_AK-GEC-02a.jpg

As you can see from the credit agreement, even though page 2 wasn't sent, it appears to fulfill the pescribed terms. However, one item I noticed, I took out PPI with this agreement so why are they pursuing me for this debt?

I was made redundant in December 2001 and the repayment schedule (buy now, pay later) was due to commence January 2002. A full year after the agreement and the PPI was taken out. So why hasn't it been honoured?

I've noted that GE Capital have been fined over mis-selling PPIs and wondered whether this could be the case for this account?

Any way of telling Aktiv to refer this back to the original creditor or should I be seeking professional legal advice?

The 2 letter ar bulls**t - if they bought the rights to collect, tey also bought any liabilities and the mist certainly are acreditor as defined in the CCA 1974.

THe loan agreement may be unenforceable. If it contains PPI, it is a multiple agreement under s18 of the CCA 1974. Unfortuantely, it is not clear enough fpr me to tell if it is properly drawn up or not. Can you post a bigger scan?

OK the PPI part is unenforceable as it doesn't give the total amount of credit, which is a prescribed term. The main loan agreement is otherwise proeprly executed and enforceable.

THe creditor can have it one of two ways: either it is a multple agreement but the PPI part is unenforceable OR it is not a multiple agreement and the whole lot is unenforceable. Give them the choice.

Edited by steven4064

Do I have to give them the choice or can I state which is the case? I'm assuming the multi-part agreement would be the best option here?

Are there any standard letters that can be sent out to cover this/be modified?

If they insist on pursuing this into the courts can I used the PPI contract as a defense that the debt should never have been pursued as the PPI contract was never honoured?

Thanks for your help so far!

Be a bit careful - the PPI contract is not vaild - you can't have it both ways either - two options:

1. Don't mention the fact that the contract is invalid but go for their breach of it (ie not honouring it) and go for repayment of payements

2. Go with invalid contract and claim back payments

If I go for 1. does that mean they also wouldn't be able to pursue me for the debt due to the fact that the PPI agreement hasn't been honoured?

From what I can tell/vaguely remember is that they tried to wriggle out of it by saying that the PPI contract didn't come into effect until the payment holiday was over. Looking back at it now I'm fairly certain that as soon as I signed the contract then the policy was valid?

And what letter should I be using?

Cheers

If I go for 1. does that mean they also wouldn't be able to pursue me for the debt due to the fact that the PPI agreement hasn't been honoured?
No, I don't think so.

IMHO, you are better off going with 2 - it is more consistent.

THe claim is that the loan agreement is a multiple agreement under s18 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 because

i) the main loan is for fixed-sum, unrestricted-use credit and is a debtor-creditor agreement

ii) the PPI part is for fixed-sum, restricted use credit and is a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement.

Under s18, the agreement must be treated as 2 seperate agreements. The form of the agreement doesn't matter, but the content does - it msut have the prescribed terms for each agreement.

Considering the PPI part, schedule 1 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 says that to be properly executed, a fixed-sum debtor-creditor-supplier agreement must have the following:

1. The cash price [of the] services

2. (1) The total charge for credit, with a list of its constituent parts

(2) The rate of interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement or, where more than one such rate applies, all the rates in all cases quoted on a per annum basis with details of when each rate applies

(3) A statement explaining how and when interest charges are calculated and applied under the agreement

3. The total amount payable

4. The timing of repayments to be made under the agreement expressed by reference to one or more of the following--

(a) the dates on which each repayment is to be made;

(b) the frequency and number of the repayments and the date of the first repayment or a statement indicating the manner in which that date will be

determined;

© a statement indicating the manner in which the dates of the repayments will be determined.

5. The amount of each repayment to be made under the agreement

Clearly, the PPI agreement does not have all of this. It is therfore not properly executed and can therefore only be enforced by court order by virtue of s65 of the CCA 1974.

However, the court's power to enforce an agreement under s65 is limited by s127(3). Under this section an agreement can only be enforced if it is signed by the debtor and has the terms prescribed in schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983.

For this type of agreement, schedule 6 gives the prescribed terms as items 1, 4 and 5 in the above list. If it doesn't have both 4 and 5 it may have the rate of interest instead of the one that is missing.

However, your agreement doesn't have item 1. It is therefore not enforceable under s65 or at all.

You could write a letter summarising this and requesting your repayments back on that basis. There isn't a template letter but have ago from what I have put and post it here for comment before you send it.

If they write back and say that s18 does not apply we can then hit them with the alternative I mentioned in post #7