• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Firstplus FOS complaint **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone kept a copy of how they worded thier complaint to the FOS. I am about to lodge my complaint with them but just wanted to know what sort of format it is best to use. Do you need to quote any legal information etc.

Miss-selling of sigle premium PPI.

We were not advised that PPI could be paid monthly.

I was given full cover despite the fact that I have more than adequate cover with my employer, 12 mths sick pay, a good redundancy package,death in service cover. My husband was covered for life only, he does have cover with his employer but they didn't bother to enquire.

The payment protection insurance was inappropriate for our needs as it only covers the first 5 years of the loans 15 year term.

Underwriting a Policy of Insurance: When the details of a loan were discussed the sales advisor failed to check both our personal circumstances at the time of the sale, which they are under obligation to do when underwriting a Policy of Insurance. At no time was any attempt made to ascertain if the product provided was fit for purpose, suitable for our needs or if indeed it was required at all.

We were subject to the hard selling tactics. We advised the salesman in telephone conversations that we did not want PPI along with the secured loan. The first conversation they did not provide a recording of but theyclaim to have sent all recordings. He spoke very quickly and put Mrs A under extreme pressure to take out the PPI to the extent that she felt the loan would not be granted without their PPI.

True Nature of Single Premium PPI Not Explained: No explanation was forthcoming from any advisor on any occasion on the full extent of single premium PPI policies, or the fact that they would offer little or no refund if the loan was settled early or if the insurance was cancelled.

We believe that the single premium PPI policy attached to the loan accountwas extremely unfair, totally unreasonable and of very limited protection value. We are therefore requested a full refund of all costs including all single PPI premiums that have been paid, the interest added to these premiums and the payments that we have paid to date.

We have written to Firstplus on three occasions (copies are enclosed) requesting a return of the PPI £14326.65 premiums plus interest £9825.75. They responded on 19th February with an offer of an enhanced rebate of the insurance premium. They calculated this as on a pro rata basis of 78% of the insurance premium.

They pointed out that this additional refund was made with no admission of liability by either the insurers or Firstplus and is purely a gesture of goodwill.

We replied on 26th February 2009 refusing their offer and asking for a full response to our previous letters. We also repeated our claim for miss-selling of the PPI.

Firstplus wrote to us with their final response on 3rd March 2009 and still failed to answer the questions that had been put to them in our letters.

I think that sums it up.

Hello Varda,

Please contact them by phone. They will on your information start to fill in the complaint form and then post it to you for completion. The next step is to fill in the form as completely as possible and sent off all the relevant correspendence between you and the bank or credit card company etc.

Try and make sure all the correspondence is itemised in order of post/receipt or in order of date.(this helps the FOS in terms of the timings etc of your complaint).

Try to keep copies of all you send as the FOS actually lost my first bundle fortunately I had backups.

Hope this helps the FOS are helpful and although swamped with cases do produce results as they did for me.

aa

• Haha 1

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thank you for the scales tip.

Bit slow to respond as I have had recent bereavment.

Keep up the fight for the right.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

I posted off my compalint against Firstplus to the FOS today. I spoke to them and they said there should be a conclusion within 3-6 months. Now I must sit and wait. Meanwhile I will be reading around and finding out what my rights are on other subjects.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted the FOS on 16th of March and they were most helpful when I explained my case. They said they are very busy at present but they have already acknowledged my claim. Shame Firstplus aren't as efficient. The person I spoke to at the FOS said they hope to have a conclusion within 3 to 6 months.

I had a further letter from the FOS yesterday it says they will now ask the business presumably Firstplus further information about the case. They will then pass the complaint to an Adjudicator and they will review the case and consider what I have said and what Firstplus have said. They will then set out their view as to how the complaint should be settled. They pointed out they have a particularly high number of complaints and that it may be a while before an Adjudicator is free to look at my case. They will ensure they keep in touch and will write again within 2 months.

Do you think I should send a copy of their acknowledgement to Firstplus to let them see I have not just gone away and I am taking it further?

Hello varda,

I contacted the FOS on 16th of March and they were most helpful when I explained my case. They said they are very busy at present but they have already acknowledged my claim. Shame Firstplus aren't as efficient. The person I spoke to at the FOS said they hope to have a conclusion within 3 to 6 months.

I had a further letter from the FOS yesterday it says they will now ask the business presumably Firstplus further information about the case. They will then pass the complaint to an Adjudicator and they will review the case and consider what I have said and what Firstplus have said. They will then set out their view as to how the complaint should be settled. They pointed out they have a particularly high number of complaints and that it may be a while before an Adjudicator is free to look at my case. They will ensure they keep in touch and will write again within 2 months.

Do you think I should send a copy of their acknowledgement to Firstplus to let them see I have not just gone away and I am taking it further?

I would just surprise them:eek: every complaint to the FOS against a bank etc after the first three complaints results in a £500 fee to be paid to the FOS. Cheaper for them to pay that than to forking out costs if they lost in Court mind you. Problem with FOS is takes a long time due to the mass of complaints they get, 500 a week at the moment. Advantage is if you have given them a full history of your complaint with associated paperwork and documentary evidence it is then generally hassle free for you other than the odd letter to respond to or phone call to deal with.

There are arguments for and against FOS and the same for the Courts it is down to the individual to make the call.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been looking on the Martin Lewis Money Saveing Expert Forum and there seems to have been a few successful claims via the FOS against Firstplus recently. I was wondering if maybe the FOS are looking at Firstplus claims in particular at the moment. I note also that Almost There has been successful without going to the FOS ans very quickly to. Firstplus may have been told something by the FOS!

I have just been looking on the Martin Lewis Money Saveing Expert Forum and there seems to have been a few successful claims via the FOS against Firstplus recently. I was wondering if maybe the FOS are looking at Firstplus claims in particular at the moment. I note also that Almost There has been successful without going to the FOS ans very quickly to. Firstplus may have been told something by the FOS!

Ah yes probably that the Financial Services Authority may be looking at you:eek:

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hi Varda. I am also trying to claim back PPI with the FOS help, but from Loans.co.uk. I filled in the form online and then printed it out to sent it to them. I used the wording from the Martin Lewis Site. I must say though when I first sent off the form they said cases are taking 3-9months. I have now been waiting 14 months! I spoke to them yesterday and they still haven't allocated my complaint yet and say they are at the moment still looking at claims sent in to them in January 2008 (mine was sent Feb 2008). So be prepared for a very long wait, but hopefully we will be OK in the end. I will be so upset after waiting this long if they say 'no' I would rather them have told me 14 months ago. Good luck I am sure things will be fine in the end for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had a letter from the FOS today and I have now been allocated an Adjudicator. I think this is very good news as I only lodged my complaint with them on 16/3/09. Maybe there is an Adjudicator looking at Firstplus in general.:eek:

:p:D:p

I received a letter today from the FOS and they have upheld my complaint and have advised Firstplus to pay up along with compensation for distress and inconvenience etc. Firstplus have advised the FOS that although they disagree with the FOS findings they are willing to make an offer. They are not however prepared to pay compensation they are making this as an offer of goodwill and without admission of liability.

I have the choice of accepting the offer or refusing and it will go to the Ombudsman for a final decision. The Adjudicator states that if I refuse the offer they consider that the ombudsman are likely to to award the compensation be paid. :lol:

I've not calculated what I should be getting from them yet and may need a little help from you wonderful people that have helped and guided me all along.

Thanks to you all.

I received a letter today from the FOS and they have upheld my complaint and have advised Firstplus to pay up along with compensation for distress and inconvenience etc. Firstplus have advised the FOS that although they disagree with the FOS findings they are willing to make an offer. They are not however prepared to pay compensation they are making this as an offer of goodwill and without admission of liability.

I have the choice of accepting the offer or refusing and it will go to the Ombudsman for a final decision. The Adjudicator states that if I refuse the offer they consider that the ombudsman are likely to to award the compensation be paid. :lol:

I've not calculated what I should be getting from them yet and may need a little help from you wonderful people that have helped and guided me all along.

Thanks to you all.

**RESULT**:D

Well done you;)

Keep us up to date with your decision on accepting or going to the ombudsman for the compensation factor.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hi Alanalana

I am just trying to work out what exactly the amounts are but am not having much luck. If I PM you the details any chance you could work it out please. I am still in shock I think as this has been dealt with so quickly by the FOS but I'm not complaining for once.

Varda I had a similar letter to yours from the FOS which I declined so i sent a letter back to the FOS last week instructing them to escalate the complaint to an ombudsman.

My claim to date is £26,870.32 and the CO-OPS offer was £5745.12

So you can see why I turned it down.

Keep up the fight to what is yours.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Post retitled to reflect your success:D

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

:p:D:p

Thanks to you all.

:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D:D

Well done varda...another in the eye for firstcrap....:cool:

Lets get First Plus interest rates down

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/FirstplusInterestRates/

Hiya Varda just to let you know I've done your spreadsheet so it's in your inbox.

If you have any questions regarding it just post here.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi Pompey

Thanks for the spreadsheet much appreciated. Do you know from that what is the amount that will be refunded to me and what will be set off against the loan please.

Do you know what the settlement is ?

they will take the compounded figure then add 8% simple interest to that then deduct the settlement to clear the loan wwhat ever is left will be sent to you.

The settlement will be less than you would of paid because as it is paid early their is less interest on the loan to pay.