two problems

louw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I am not actually a student myself but am very worried about my daughter who is. There are two separate problems so please bear with me!

Firstly, in September 2007 my daughter started uni and rented a room in private halls owned by CRM students. She signed a contract for the accademic year and I counter signed as guarantor and paid a £250 booking fee.

She moved in 16.09.07 and paid a term in advance until 07.01.08.

She was withdrawn from her course on 29.11.07. for non-attendance due to depression for which she has since received counselling.

On 04.12.07. she informed the office at the halls that she would be leaving at the end of term - they were very sympathetic - and came home.

On 05.01.08. she moved the last of her stuff from the room and returned her keys and a note to the 'student officer'. She received a very nice message back on her phone saying sorry to be losing you and good luck in the future etc.

A letter dated 25.01.08. from CRM students was posted to my daughter at our home address but the address on the actual letter was still the room she had occupied in halls. The letter asked for rent arrears and explained that they were not going to let her live in the halls rent free. She responded with a letter reminding them that she was no longer in the room.

A letter arrived dated 05.02.08. for my daughter but addressed to me at our home address which basically repeated the previous letter, that they were not prepared to let her live in the room rent free. My daughter responded to this letter and asked for a copy of the contract - to this date this has not been sent. She also spoke to the university accommodation office who said that they would advertise the room as vacant.

On 01.05.08. I received a solicitor's letter as guarantor asking for the full amount payable for the year plus £300 in charges. Enclosed was a copy of a letter addressed my my daughter in the room she had previously occupied in halls dated the same day and it again reminded that my daughter could not live in the room rent free. I phoned to speak to the solicitor, told him the entire circumstances and was told that I must pay but that perhaps we could come to an arrangement and that he would call me back the next day. He never called back.

At this point I took legal advice and 09.05.08. my daughter sent a letter asking that: a. they send all further correspondence to her at our home address; b. they forward a copy of the tenancy agreement; c. there is a duty on behalf of the landlord to mitigate loss, she understands that the room had been relet, please confirm the position. She received no reply to this.

In fact, we heard nothing more until I returned home from work on Friday to find a folded piece of paper on the doormat saying that a debt collector had been concerning the outstanding amount and would return within 7 days. My daughter had been at home all day and nobody had knocked on the door!

My daughter is now back at uni, living in different halls and really enjoying life! I'm concerned that a worry like thi will knock her back again.

Please forgive the long winded nature of the post but I wanted to get everything down as clearly as possible. Any advice or next steps would be appreciated.

I think I'll post the second problem separately so as not to bombard too much here!