• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hardship claim trouble

WOOD73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

story so far, like everyone else put my claim in and it was put on hold.

Last july I lost my job and although had a bit of agency work for a while, had a considerable drop in income.

I submitted a request to nationwide to look at the claim under hardship in oct, they replied saying I wasnt in hardship etc., I asked them how they came to this conclusion as I was no longer using the account, due to excessive charges, and I had not supplied them with an income and expenditure.

They wrote back, this time with the standard bog off letter from when you first claim charges back.

I wrote to them again stating I was in hardship and asking them to look into my claim.

after a bit of to and fro they finally sent me an i+e form mid november,after I had threatened with the FOS!, I filled it in and returned it asap.

I received a letter from them end november saying, yes I was in hardship and they would refund £80, which by the way was the amount I was overdrawn with them because of charges.

I replied that I was not happy, and their final response was they will do no more.

I complained to the FOS straight away, and some while later I received a response stating, that nationwide were not obliged to do any more at this stage.

I replied to the FOS stating they hadnt even commented on nationwides handling of my complaint, which was diabolical to say the least, and express my disapointment in no uncertain terms.

I have received a reply from FOS today, It says that although I am in hardship the waiver does not mean the bank has to do anything, other than accept your in hardship! and the fact the bank refunded £80 which put the account back in credit was a great step in that now I wont be pursued for the debt blah blah, 'and the bank is under no duty to consider wider financial circumstances other than the extent to which they affect their ability to repay sums owed to it.'

in other words feather their own nest!

they accept my point about the handling of my complaint, 'but it appears that you woul like us to order the bank to refund all the charges'

but as I didnt have significant debts with nationwide, and was receiving regular credits until august, their actions were not so unreasonable that action other than already taken was inappropriate.

There has been no action taken regarding the treatment by nationwide.

I have written back to the Fos, and asked him to explain what action has been taken, as the £80 refund was in connection with my being in hardship, and my treatment by the bankers.

If I issue proceedings for the charges which amount to nearly £2000, what are the chances of it not being stayed, bearing in mind I have a letter from the bank accepting I am in hardship.

Sorry for a long read

Well it has to be worth a go.

Have a read here Wood73 :-

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/126-application-for-removal-of-a-stay-.html

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/127-bundle-for-stay-hearing-.html

In cases were the judge has lifted the stay, the banks have paid up before the main case has been heard, like the old days.

We have had several where the judge has refused to lift the stay, I like it that NW have admitted you are in 'Hardship'.

If you go down this route, we will try and help out with the court forms. You need to do this on Form N244 :-

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/downloads/pdf-files/n244_form.pdf

Hope this helps,

lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

as regards the other part of my complaint, reagrding the treatment by nationwide, if the ombudsman still decides to side with the bank, is there any thing else I can do?

Seems a bit pointless having a section in the waiver pertaining to hardship cases, when all they have to do is accept your in hardship and nothing more, and the ombudsman talks like he is best buddies with the banks, makes you wonder who's interests are being protected here dosent it.

as regards the other part of my complaint, reagrding the treatment by nationwide, if the ombudsman still decides to side with the bank, is there any thing else I can do?

Seems a bit pointless having a section in the waiver pertaining to hardship cases, when all they have to do is accept your in hardship and nothing more, and the ombudsman talks like he is best buddies with the banks, makes you wonder who's interests are being protected here dosent it.

What the Ombudsman has said re the waiver is 100% correct, they do not have to refund even 1p under the waiver. Hardship defined under the waiver will include mortgage arrears/rent arrears, utilities arrears, council tax arrears etc.etc.and usually means extreme hardship. However, I think you may want to go back to the FOS with regards to the time and money spent having to chase them up for a number of months just to provide the basics ie an income and expenditure form.

You have little or no chance on lifting a stay and I wouldn't even waste the expense or time in trying to do so.

Have you read the FSA Waiver on Hardship?

The relevant section is below:

"2.

In making an assessment of financial difficulty the firm will take into account:

a.

evidence of changes in lifestyle, including loss of employment; disability; serious illness; imprisonment; relationship breakdown; death of a partner; starting a lower paid job; parental/carer leave; and starting full-time education;

b.

evidence of the following events:

i.

items repeatedly being returned unpaid due to lack of available funds;

ii.

failing to make loan repayments or other commitments;

iii.

discontinuation of regular credits;

iv.

notification of some form of insolvency or court proceedings;

v.

regular requests for increased borrowing or repeated rescheduling of debts;

vi.

making frequent cash withdrawals on a credit card at a non-promotional rate of interest; and

vii.

repeatedly exceeding a credit card or overdraft limit without agreement (and, in this regard, where a complainant has incurred over £500 in unauthorised overdraft charges in the previous 12 months, that is to be treated as indicative of financial difficulty)."

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

yes, but it means nothing in reality, and isnt worth the paper its written on. Nationwide have agreed I am in financial hardship, yet that is all they have to do,

so my point is why have the fsa added this to the waiver?

The banks now have an obligation to investigate wether or not your in hardship, if they agree you are in hardship, they dont have to do anything else at all!

a bit of a pointless exercise!

Just a bit of bull**** to keep the masses quiet, as most people have never actually read it.

yes, but it means nothing in reality, and isnt worth the paper its written on. Nationwide have agreed I am in financial hardship, yet that is all they have to do,

so my point is why have the fsa added this to the waiver?

The banks now have an obligation to investigate wether or not your in hardship, if they agree you are in hardship, they dont have to do anything else at all!

a bit of a pointless exercise!

Just a bit of bull**** to keep the masses quiet, as most people have never actually read it.

So are you still in arrears with a mortgage company/rent, do you have council tax arrears? Do you have utilities arrears? From post 1, I think you mentioned you were not using the nationwide account, were you using another account for benefit payments?

I understand you are angry but I have read the waiver not once or twice but a few times. I agree to a degree that the waiver is not ideal at all because there is no uniform way in which claims are being dealt with as each bank/building society deals with them differently.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Subbing with interest on this thread:cool:

This is from the library http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/126-application-for-removal-of-a-stay-.html

and I have another article that I printed off by Caro, site team, on 15 Jan 2009 Hardship - Prevent a Stay Before You Get One, but can't find it now!

Also read a good thread the other night where a Cagger didn't get the stay removed but the bank used about half his claim to directly pay the council tax, mortgage arrears, etc. (priority debts!) in the meantime which is quite a good settlement in the interim.......8-)

Hi just to give you some hope, I applied for hardship on the 31st December for £3130 in charges. I received a reply saying no on the 4th February saying I had money in my account and that i hadtaken it out. I then asked them to review their decision as I had to prioritise my money and thats why it was taken out of the account. I have now received a letter this morning telling me they will return £2758 on this occassion only and they will reverse £80 in charges that they have took of this month. So within 10 days the cash should be in my account. So result.

The only thing i'm worried about is that in the letter they said

"Although we have refunded charges to your account on this occasion, moving forward we would recommend that you operate your account within the credit balance or any agreed overdraft limit. In order to avoid incurring further charges in the future I recommend you cancel your direct debit payments, and make alternative arrangements with third parties concerned."

Can the make me do this or is it as it said recommended.

Anyway result either way.

It was nationwide and i just sent the letter through the personal message service on my internet banking in it i ncluded the points set out by the fsa about hardship and for each point I said for example

Lack of funds?

FSA’s term: Are items repeatedly being returned unpaid due to lack of available funds?

The answer to this is yes. Bank charges 2003 £82.50, 2004 £400.05, 2005 £627.50, 2006 £710,

2007 £510, 2008 £800.

Then failing to pay? I put yes having to reduce loan payments because of missed payments and couldn't afford to make full payment.I did this for each point.I also included a statment of my expenditure and income. Although they also sent me their own expenditure and income form to fill in. As i said they initially turned me down saying the money was in the account for d/d's but i had taken it out. So when I wrote back and asked them to review I said that I had to take the money out to prioritize my money for food and rent and the necessities.

So i hope this gives people a bit of hope.

well done, shame they dont act consistantly, why is it one result for one and one result for another, in the same circumstances?, I can only summise that they wont refund to me because I have stopped using the account because of the amount of charges.

I agree Wood, but maybe if we all keep pressing on.......

I feel the need to have to do it, but have been reluctant because they are my only current account and that's where the bulk of charges are....

I don't suppose I would cry too much about having a Post Office book to bank with and pay my bills in cash, in future :|

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/176846-aa99-nationwide.html

• 2 weeks later...

well, had final response through fromfos this morning, it has been looked at by someone else this time, and guess what, they are in full agreement with the nationwide, they said wether or not my complaint was handled correctly was irrelevant, as the outcome would have been the same, i.e. yes we admit you are in hardship now sod off and stop bothering us.

they have said they will look at it again if I can provide further evidence.

It seems the banks can do what they like, with the blessing of the ombudsman!

Oh Woody, what a smack in the face this all is, shame for you:(. I am still trying to open a parachute account with someone else before I hit the NWide for bank charges under hardship too.....:mad:

I don't know what the professional/legal route is next and hope someone will come along shortly with the answers. I am watching closely. There must be some way to appeal if you qualify, as I do, for all the conditions of the FSA Waiver of the Stay on bank charges:?

Oh Woody, what a smack in the face this all is, shame for you:(. I am still trying to open a parachute account with someone else before I hit the NWide for bank charges under hardship too.....:mad:

I don't know what the professional/legal route is next and hope someone will come along shortly with the answers. I am watching closely. There must be some way to appeal if you qualify, as I do, for all the conditions of the FSA Waiver of the Stay on bank charges:?

I just want to clarify the FSA Waiver on Bank Charges. The exemption is hardship, which is usually defined as having arrears on things like, rent/mortgage, utilities, council tax. If you have the above then there maybe a likelyhood of a payout, if not, then the answer will be no based on all the evidence that has been produced.

I just want to clarify the FSA Waiver on Bank Charges. The exemption is hardship, which is usually defined as having arrears on things like, rent/mortgage, utilities, council tax. If you have the above then there maybe a likelyhood of a payout, if not, then the answer will be no based on all the evidence that has been produced.

Totally incorrect I'm afraid.

Nationwide have agreed that I am in hardship, they sent me a letter to say so, BUT they still refuse to refund charges!

FOS say they are correct, they do not have to refund, all they have to do is look at wether or not you are in hardship, nothing more, if they agree you are in hardship or not means nothing, so long as they have looked.

I am still in hardship, with arrears on all my accounts, but FOS say it would be unfair to ask nationwide to refund charges so I can pay my other creditors!

the waiver is a load of bull, it is purely to help the banks, and no one else.

The banks are unfairly dragging the case out by going to the house of lords, but what will fsa do - Nothing!

Its them against us, only problem is they make the rules. fsa,fos, banks are all peeing in the same pot, it remains to be seen wether oft are on our side.

I think I will ask the question again. Have you got arrears on rent/ mortgage, council tax, utilities? Have you got anyone who has threatened you with court over these arrears?

rent and council tax are now on benefit, so now arrears, water £500 arrears, elctric and gas on prepaid meter, all other debts in serious arrears.

what difference it makes I dont know, like i said they agree I'm in hardship!

should also mention, c/tax liability granted in december, so having amount deducted from benefits, could have been avoided if they refunded in november, when they admitted hardship.

I think I will ask the question again. Have you got arrears on rent/ mortgage, council tax, utilities? Have you got anyone who has threatened you with court over these arrears?

YES YES YES is my answer, even the utility companies threatening to cut me off and I have tried all the routes with the above. My Income Support sheet with figures 'that the government says you need to live on' haven't been updated for a few years I think!

I qualify for ALL the conditions as listed by the FSA in their Right to Waiver the Stay on Bank Charges Reclaiming under hardship! Woody, do we need to go directly to them, not the FOS, and query the action under their authority?:confused: