• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

george mcm vs Clydesdale bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi George

Thanks for the update on the costs. As you know, my case was thrown out of court before yours, and I never heard back from them about the costs. I guess this must be the reason for me as well than, that they haven't decided to pursue the costs. I suppose doing this wouldve been an even bigger public relations disaster from their part...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi George

I've been waiting to hear about costs too since my 2nd claim was thrown out at the end of March. So I take it they aren't going to pursue me for them. That's a relief as I had decided to go to jail before they would get any more money out of me.

Mel5

My 40 days after sending the DPA Letter is almost up! 3 days left, i have just recieved a letter saying...

Dear (me)

Re: Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Subject Access Request

I Refer to our previous correspondence Acknowledgeing receipt of your request for details of charges and/or statements relating to your bank account(s).

Within the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 we have 40 days in which to provide you with the information we hold. The end of this period has almost been reached, However, Due to the high Volume of requests we have recieved in relation to this high profile issue, i regret that we are not yet able to provide you with the information requested.

Whilst you are within your rights to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner at the end of the the 40 day period, I confirm that we shall provide you with the information as soon as we possibly can.I thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Yours Sincerely

Advice Quality unit - Charges Section

where do i go from here? do i send a letter before action when the 40day period is up??? xx

:p:shock::cool:

Please get back to me when u can!! xx

Thanx for your help again,

Caroline x:p x

My 40 days after sending the DPA Letter is almost up! 3 days left, i have just recieved a letter saying...

Dear (me)

Re: Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Subject Access Request

I Refer to our previous correspondence Acknowledgeing receipt of your request for details of charges and/or statements relating to your bank account(s).

Within the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 we have 40 days in which to provide you with the information we hold. The end of this period has almost been reached, However, Due to the high Volume of requests we have recieved in relation to this high profile issue, i regret that we are not yet able to provide you with the information requested.

Whilst you are within your rights to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner at the end of the the 40 day period, I confirm that we shall provide you with the information as soon as we possibly can.I thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Yours Sincerely

Advice Quality unit - Charges Section

where do i go from here? do i send a letter before action when the 40day period is up??? xx

:p:shock::cool:

Please get back to me when u can!! xx

If it was me, I would not bother with the ICO at thos stge (I am using them for another reason and they ain;t quick). I would create a realistic estimate of my charges and start the process of Prelim and then LBA and hopefully by that time the true SAr data will arrive and for the claim form you can use the correct information.

I have read that the 6 years limitation starts from the date of the court action so if they were to delat things then anything at the start of the 6 year eriod will start to drop off.

Just my view. I hve now done about 8 claims with different institutions and this is how I would proceed, I am sure others will come along with other ideas.

Sorry but the ICO and chocolate tea pots are related.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Thanx for getting back to me so soon :)

i have most of the originals of my charges and interest charges but only for a year 1995, dont think my charges went on for more than 2 years? how do i total all them up? what exactly is it that im adding up? and whats the best letter to send first? :???:

thanx for your time again, hope to hear from u soon xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all a little update

12/03/07 sent complaint to FOS

30/03/07 confirmation from FOS

01/05/07 Called FOS to find out what was happening and was told they are waiting on the CB replying to their request for my details of claim, now when i called exactly 1 month was told the same.

So for the moment it is still the waiting game.

Sending the FOS (CYN) DVD

• 2 weeks later...

Ok as my second case was thrown out due to the first case being settled i went through the FOS as i was effectively barred from further action.

Not according to this i aint as i was settled out of court.

Lets see what happens next now.

res judicata need not apply to cases that have been paid out without going to court i.e dismissed etc. read this

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/C42014(B)98.html

Upon showing this at Edinburgh sheriff court they now will accept second claims, also for res judicata to apply each case needs to be the same. so why not use just the case law the first time and then the second claim to feature solely on UTCC's.

Refused a second claim after first one was settled without court appearance then the above should be interesting for you or you were thinking of raising a second claim as you had been settled without appearing at court but due to the likelyhood of it not being accepted you have delayed any action then how does this sound now.

Don't give up Bigmac!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This is good news for us. We are looking to proceed with a second action against IF. Our first case was settled before being heard and was subsequently dismissed. We intended to go ahead but we were pretty worried about it. Because HBOS are struggling to keep up with the complaints at the moment we were going to chance our arm a bit but were aware it was risky. This fills me with a little bit of hope.

Thanks for this and good luck with your claim. We're also chasing the Clydesdale so hope it all goes well for you too.

I've been corresponding with Rachel Scott of the FOS who because my 2nd claim was dismissed like yours and CB are saying as far as they are concerned the matter is closed. She is asking for more information to substantiate the FOS taking it any further.

I have already explained that CB won on a point of law (not because the proved their charges were lawful).

Should I send her a copy of Court of Session's opinion re res judicata.

Mel 5

in my opinion yes i would, as the case in it's entirety was not heard and was therefore dismissed due to CB paying out.

This would also allow it to go through court again, for a second claim. you would need to push for a full proof hearing against CB to get it through to them we are not giving up and they will not want a judgement on either the case law or the UTCC's ;)

Hi all, i agree with poltmcm my only concern would be that the FOS wont get involved in disputing the courts decision regardless of what evidence is presented but it has got to be worth a shot, maybe if the 2nd case that was thrown out could be overturned then that would help make the FOS decide, however if they dont favour us Mel i personally will go for MCOL and see what happens, with nearly £3000+interest at stake i will not give in easily and demand to have my day, reap what you sow CB.

I will get my money back, every penny.

Go George! Go George! Go George!:D And you too Mel

And all the rest of you of course, but these two have had a tough time with CB and it's just great to see that their spirit is in tact and they are still in there fighting, which will help others who follow them no end.

Keep up the pressure.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

hey guys!!! EVENTUALLY!!! i have recieved my statements/charges!!! whoopie!!! it totaled up to £1642.54, whats my nest step now?? send them another prelum letter x im in scotland!! help me!! xx he he he xx

Caroline xx

Ok the FOS have now received my file from the CB and they have now requested the bank to pay back all the default charges in their entireity or explain their costs, spoke to the adjudicator who agreed in regards to the 2nd case (shouldnt have been thrown out) but will await the CB response to this request, i also said i wouldnt be happy unless i got the interest due on that amount also as this has been ongoing since June 06 so if they dont pay the interest they have gained by holding my money back from me over that timescale.

Will be sending in some more info to support my claim in anticipation that the CB claim the courts have rule on this as the adjudicator said that decision was on the action not the charges.

CB can delay as much as they want the end is the same.

Guest res judicata

well big mac, i see my link provided has brought some success to you and i beleive CB will not be able to argue with the FOS because they will run the risk of the FOS opening their books so to speak. i am well chuffed we have worked together to at least open the gates for the claimants again. well done m8 ;)

Well lets hope the FOS have more success over the CB than the court action has, until the money is paid back i wont take anything for granted, interesting to note that the FOS adjudicator has requested the CB to pay up without any res judicata needing sent and yet Mel who is in the exact same position as me has to provide more documentation to support her claim, hope Mel gets whats due soon and i have advised her to use my REF NO with the FOS so as to find out why there is any difference in the claims because we cant see anything.

Guest res judicata

hmm true, there is some interesting conflict there. i can see they must be misinterpretation's of the rules/codes of practice/policy for each case.

it will be interesting to see the outcome or if CB the most aggressive bank will give in rather than open their books. i suppose it is a waiting game for now however it would be interesting to see which way the FOS actually decide to go..........i will subscribe to this thread to keep updated.

The res judicata has certainly helped blow any hope that CB had of dismissing any further 2nd actions raised when an out of court settlement was raised for the first claim and i wonder if the FOS will decide over this even though the second case was dismissed, the adjudicator i spoke to agreed with my thoughts and as id said earlier has requested the CB to pay 100% back or explain their charges, knowing the CB as we do i dont expect anything from them now.

Guest res judicata

yes the res judicata ruling has, however for people reading this it must be done in a certain way, for it to be achievable.

first claim - case law only

second claim UTCC's only

but yes i can see the CB backing down on this one because as per watchdog interveiw the head of the FOS did state he would instigate a investigation if ever the bank refused the FOS request. so yes i can see you getting all of your money back. as per my previous post it is a waiting game for now, which i'm sure we don't mind a bit too much;) as long as it goes the right way :)

• 4 weeks later...

What is "UTCC's", please?

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

the bank just tried to fob me off with a check for £"00 are they joking? spokr to the FOS they told me t send it back with a letter of complaint, so hopefully they will be able to fish out the whole lot from the clydesdale bank and get it in my account for the summer!! :)

godd job FOS I recomend them to anyone!! x