Vodafone - early penalty charge for non-existing contract

fstoner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am at wits ends with the lovely guys at Vodafone.

I have been with them on contract, PAYG and contract again for the almost 4 years and despite some hick ups here and there always found their CS very helpful; until early February 2009 that is.

I cancelled my last 18months contract 5 months early in December 2008 - just had to get the iPhone ;) I knew I'd had to pay a few quid and wasn't too bothered. What bothered me was the fact that from end of December 08 until early February was radio silence and out of the blue a final reminder for a whopping £241.13

A call to the number on the letter got me nowhere apart from being told my contract was until December 2009 and because I cancelled early that's £241.12, then being stuck on hold on their 0870 number for almost 30min, online account & online enquiry form didn't work - error loading the page - so I've sent an email explaining I never in my life had a 24month contract, how exactly the amount has been calculated (being on a £25 a month and according to them cancelling 12months ahead - as they claim I did - equals £300 from where I'm standing).

I only got a generic reply not answering any of my question or concern that there might be a mistake - wouldn't be the first time after having the wrong minutes & texts at the beginning and then being charged, refunded, etc. So I again explained everything via Email on the 15th of Feb. Once more I hear nothing at all until almost 2 weeks later on the 28th of Feb, only this time the generic replies coincides with a letter from the debt collecting agency. Turns out while I'm trying to get to the bottom of this Vodafone decided to pass my case on (21st of Feb, I checked with debt collecters) rather than speaking to me.

I'm furious, beyond fed up and another letter and call today didn't amount to anything.

I feel like BBC watchdog is the only option. That or me going mental at their head office and having a "falling down" moment. Any of you had probs like this. What did you do? How did it work out in the end?

I renewed my contract on the phone by the way, never received something in writing and there is also a big fat '18M' printed on my last paper bill - which I assume could mean 18 months!?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your comments

another one of theire tricks, to stop them from putting a default on your credit file you need to put the account into dispute by way of sending the s10 Data Protection Notice while you get the problem sorted out, these network providers waste no time in buggering up your credit file and it takes months to sort it out, then after you issue the s10, write to them and request a copy of the agreement that you signed and a statement of account under section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, enclose a £1.00 postal order and remind them that they have 12 working days to comply under Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1569) at regulation 2 sets out the required time frame for compliance,

hope this is of help to you, anything else just holler..Gc

The Consumer Credit Act stuff is a waste of your time as they are not regulated by this. Write a letter to their Customer Relations Department in Newbury - they will deal with your dispute and if there has been any impact to your credit file they will liaise with the Vodafone Department respnsible for that. Advise the DCA that the account is currently in dispute.

• 2 weeks later...

They just don't get it.

I like the fact that the are sorry they've just passed my account to a DCA, that's not much help for me now, is it?

Isn't there some regulation that they can not just pass your detaisl on while you are disputing a bill? I do find the lack of favourable customer legislation in the UK pretty amazing at times...

Writing to their customer relations department now.

Really loosing the will to live with these guys.

Am I missing something - you agree to an 18 month contract, and pack it in after 13 months to get an iPhone. What did you think Vodafone would do - give you a pat on the back and say no bother, don't do it again?

All they appear to be doing is enforcing the contract you agreed - something that O2 will do when you tire of the iPhone and go onto something else.

I did - but the issue of the minimum term is (or should be) black and white. I wouldn't trust these firms to catch a cold, therefore if I agreed to a set minimum term, then I would have something from them that confirmed it. It is always easy to assume that the upgraded contract is the same as one held previously, but it doesn't always follow - hence the need for verification. If the OP believed it was 18 months, and the network said 18 and this was paid, then they must have proof (somewhere of a 24 month commitment).

In this case, there's not much the OP can do, as the payment made would be seen to be a part payment, but again there has to be paperwork nothing what transpired, and it is this I find confusing.