style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was in a joint tenancy with 2 other people which has now come to an end. However, one of my flatmates left and went abroad without paying his final months rent. We checked with the agency and they said the rest of us had to cover it - so we did.

The deposit is now due back, and we have asked that the entire amount be returned to the Lead Tenant (my other flatmate) so we can recover our money and send the remaining amount back to him. However, the agency are insisting on splitting it equally in three and sending him a cheque. Firstly, we did not all contribute the same amount to the deposit, secondly, there are retentions that relate solely to him which the agency is intending on splitting over the three cheques. I do not want to lose out on this - what can I do?

I think you need to go through the small claims court... but given the flatmate has split.. I think you are a bit screwed sorry!

At least I guess the cheque will go to the same place and you can ensure he doesnt get it.

Or you could let him know its there and ask for a forwarding address for the cheque and then serve notice of the small claims court on him..

Given that he breached the Joint Tenancy agreement, can I not insist on the amount coming out of his deposit to us?

If I did put this to the TDS for arbitration (there are unfair retentions too), would the ICE award it to the lead tenant?

The money must be returned to the persons who paid, and the amount paid. Deductions WILL be split across the three - deductions "liable" by one person is not for the landlord/letting agent to decide unfortunately.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!