• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Landy_alert v MBNA PPI **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

have u got origional cc agreement was it ticked?

Hi jdes26:)

Yes, I have the original agreement and there is no box for PPI on it at all.

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone:)

Just to say I am going to do what others in the same situation regarding MBNA, the FOS and credit card PPI are doing and send another letter to the FOS letting them know I am not happy with their decision to let MBNA not only pay back no contractual interest, but also in our case no 8%!

I will explain that Mr Landy did have a credit balance where MBNA say he didn't, ask why in the light of this MBNA have only paid £30 odd interest on £600+ of premiums, ask for a better explanation of their redress rcommendations and let them know their guidelines appear to be open to what appears to be deliberate misinterpretation by the more unscrupulous firms.

Will keep you posted as to how I get on!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hiya Landy,

I have done the same as you letter ready to send of in the morning in my case I feel they have only looked at one side i.e. agreed with the bank there offer is fair lol far from it I have spent time and money for them to investigate both sides.

And there medical guidelines they are supposed to follow is hogwash.

There is a new chief ombubsman at the fos now as from the 1st November so lets see if he has teeth.

Good Luck.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi PF:)

Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight on the PPI front - I noticed you have been busy lately with your MBNA/Optima issues.

Thanks for the encouragement and hope all goes well for you too - in both cases:D

Take care,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Landy,

Yes i have been busy with the MBNA/OPTIMA case lately, cannot do anymore now with that until i have had a response to the N244 aplication.

So time to get back on with the CO-OP/FOS.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Glad to see that we are all getting together on this contractual interest issue - its good that we are lending support to each other over this.

Good luck everyone

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

Hi Tink:)

Letter gone off to FOS today - will let you know as soon as they respond.

Hopefully they will realise once our letters start arriving that they need to make their redress recommendations for credit card PPI complaints less open to misinterpretation as well as clarifying the whole contractual interest issue.

Keeping everything crossed for all of us on this!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Tink:)

Letter gone off to FOS today - will let you know as soon as they respond.

Hopefully they will realise once our letters start arriving that they need to make their redress recommendations for credit card PPI complaints less open to misinterpretation as well as clarifying the whole contractual interest issue.

Keeping everything crossed for all of us on this!

Regards,

Landy x

Nice one Landy I am stil in the loop to see what happens.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks for your continued support with this aa:D

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

• 3 weeks later...

Just a further update on this -

Mr L today received an email from the FOS adjudicator dealing with his complaint, asking him to call him to discuss the matters raised in his (my) last letter. As Mr L is at work I had to email him (Mr L) copies of the last pieces of correspondence between himself and the FOS as well as some prompting notes as to what he should be saying.

Mr L has just got back to me having spoken to the adjudicator, who seemed to understand the crux of the contractual interest issue, but was still insistant that there was never a credit balance on Mr L's account for interest to be applied to.

He said that the FOS have copies of all Mr L's statements as supplied by MBNA and these show there was never a credit balance:eek:

The adjudicator assumed we had copies of all Mr L's statements (we don't) but he is going to forward copies to us to prove MBNA is correct.

I should point out that although we have several statements we do not have the full set - MBNA only ever sent a list of charges/payments made and unfortunately we never pursued them for the remainder of Mr L's SAR.

However, I have been through the statements we do have and the lists of charges/payments and know that for many months there was a credit balance.

Mr L said to the adjudicator that unless one spent up to the full limit on their card in its first month of use (which he did not), that would imply there was at least one month with a credit balance, yet MBNA say there were none:eek:

The adjudicator was quite helpful nonetheless and fully understood that if Mr L was still not happy on receipt of the copy statements we would be asking for the complaint to be escalated to an Ombudsman for his/her decision.

Mr L did say that his wife has been putting together much of his correspondence - cheeky so and so, I've done it all - and that I had received support from the Consumer Action Group (despite me telling him on more than one occasion that the FOS prefer non-clued-up consumers!) and the adjudicator didn't appear to know what CAG was:eek:

Anyway, once the statements are received I'll have a better idea of how to proceed. Will keep you updated as and when!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Mr L did say that his wife has been putting together much of his correspondence - cheeky so and so, I've done it all - and that I had received support from the Consumer Action Group (despite me telling him on more than one occasion that the FOS prefer non-clued-up consumers!) and the adjudicator didn't appear to know what CAG was:shock:

Time for some boots up bums me thinks :D

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Mr L did say that his wife has been putting together much of his correspondence - cheeky so and so, I've done it all - and that I had received support from the Consumer Action Group (despite me telling him on more than one occasion that the FOS prefer non-clued-up consumers!) and the adjudicator didn't appear to know what CAG was:shock:

Time for some boots up bums me thinks :D

Yep, sounds about right to me Alan :lol:

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Landy,

Quick update - received email from FOS with this reply:-

I have raised your concerns with MBNA and they have informed me that the method in which it calculates the associated interest is not merely based on the premium and contractual interest rate at the time, as the firm must consider the way in which payments are allocated to the outstanding balance. A summary of this information is explained within the account terms and conditions.I should point out that the interest calculated is simple and not compound. In addition, the PPI premium will always be included within the minimum payment for each individual month and therefore if the minimum payment is paid off in full each month; the interest charged will not roll from month to month.I can confirm that the way in which this refund has been calculated is broadly in line with FOS guidance.As you will be aware, your case has not been fully adjudicated by the Financial Ombudsman's Service and the offer has been made by the firm on a goodwill basis which included an award of £100 distress and inconvenience. I note you request us to forward your case through for a full adjudication for an Ombudsman to review the issue of associated interest. I am obviously happy to carry out this request but I must point out that following a full review, an adjudicator may agree or disagree with the decision of the firm to uphold your complaint and it is possible that your complaint may be rejected or the award of Distress and Inconvenience withdrawn. In addition, I should point out that even if an adjudicator agrees that the firm should uphold your complaint, the settlement awarded by the firm is unlikely to be improved as it is broadly in line with FOS guidance and you have been put back into the position you would have been in had you not had PPI put on your loan from the outset.Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

The paragraph about the interest being simple and not compounded as the payment would be included in the minimum payment and if the minimum payment was made every month it would not roll on to the next month - surely the same would have applied to charges applied ie late payment, over credit limit etc. and these were paid back with compounded interest.I am mindful to still continue this to an ombudsman but if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter or has heard anything different from the FOS concerning this issue - please let me know.It seems that I am being advised not to proceed further but it also seems like they are saying take it any further and you may loose the lot, however as what has already been given back has been a "goodwill gesture" I dont think they can take it back!Any comments appreciated.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

Hi Landy,

Quick update - received email from FOS with this reply:-

I have raised your concerns with MBNA and they have informed me that the method in which it calculates the associated interest is not merely based on the premium and contractual interest rate at the time, as the firm must consider the way in which payments are allocated to the outstanding balance. A summary of this information is explained within the account terms and conditions.I should point out that the interest calculated is simple and not compound. In addition, the PPI premium will always be included within the minimum payment for each individual month and therefore if the minimum payment is paid off in full each month; the interest charged will not roll from month to month.I can confirm that the way in which this refund has been calculated is broadly in line with FOS guidance.As you will be aware, your case has not been fully adjudicated by the Financial Ombudsman's Service and the offer has been made by the firm on a goodwill basis which included an award of £100 distress and inconvenience. I note you request us to forward your case through for a full adjudication for an Ombudsman to review the issue of associated interest. I am obviously happy to carry out this request but I must point out that following a full review, an adjudicator may agree or disagree with the decision of the firm to uphold your complaint and it is possible that your complaint may be rejected or the award of Distress and Inconvenience withdrawn. In addition, I should point out that even if an adjudicator agrees that the firm should uphold your complaint, the settlement awarded by the firm is unlikely to be improved as it is broadly in line with FOS guidance and you have been put back into the position you would have been in had you not had PPI put on your loan from the outset.Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

The paragraph about the interest being simple and not compounded as the payment would be included in the minimum payment and if the minimum payment was made every month it would not roll on to the next month - surely the same would have applied to charges applied ie late payment, over credit limit etc. and these were paid back with compounded interest.I am mindful to still continue this to an ombudsman but if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter or has heard anything different from the FOS concerning this issue - please let me know.It seems that I am being advised not to proceed further but it also seems like they are saying take it any further and you may loose the lot, however as what has already been given back has been a "goodwill gesture" I dont think they can take it back!Any comments appreciated.

I believe it is unlikely you would get any claimed compounded interest. I accepted the adjudicators decision on my claims. The choice of acceptance must of course fall to you. It would be totally inappropriate for me to advise on acceptance of your claim.

The choice to continue to the ombudsman over an adjudicator ruling is again your choice.

Whatever your decision I wish you good luck.

The red bit above you could be asking for £200 as other claimants have received this amount for inconvenience and distress. Sadly I got nothing but I am wiser now to the situation and would certainly insist on a compensation for a claim taking 12 months to resolve.

I would firstly ask for £200 and then you decide on accepting a settlement ;)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Companies house brings up these results for MBNA

D MBNA LIMITED Dissolved 02922208

MBNA DIRECT LIMITED

MBNA EUROPE BANK LIMITED

FC028615

MBNA EUROPE FINANCE LIMITED

BR010201

MBNA EUROPE FINANCE LIMITED

MBNA EUROPE FUNDING PLC

MBNA EUROPE HOLDINGS LIMITED

MBNA FUNDING COMPANY LIMITED

MBNA GLOBAL SERVICES LIMITED

FC022307

C MBNA HALLMARK INFORMATION SERVICES, INC. Company Removed 02833317

MBNA INTERNATIONAL PROPERTIES LIMITED

MBNA INVESTMENT & SECURITIES LIMITED

BR005548

MBNA IRELAND LIMITED

FC022534

MBNA IRELAND LIMITED

MB NA1 INVESTMENTS LIMITED

MBNA PARTNERSHIP INVESTMENTS LIMITED

MBNA PROPERTY SERVICES LIMITED

FC023974

C MBNA RECEIVABLES LIMITED Company Removed FC028443

MBNA RECEIVABLES LIMITED

BR010050

MBNA RECEIVABLES LIMITE

You will have to decide which compny you are dealing with :)

This is from the FSA Register.

Basic details for:

204487 - MBNA Europe Bank Limited

Current status: Authorised Effective Date: 01/12/2001 Tied Agent:

Undertakes Insurance Mediation: Y Registered under Money Laundering Regulations:

Address: Stansfield House

Chester Business Park

Wrexham Road

Chester

Cheshire

CH4 9FB

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

44 01244 672 000

44 01244 672 100

No email address supplied

Notices: UK authorised firms who have a deposit-taking permission do not usually need to obtain separate permission from the FSA to receive money from clients.

Other information:

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 1 month later...

Just a belated update to this thread -

Despite asking for this complaint to be passed to an ombudsman Mr L received a letter from a new adjudicator stating that they would be re-assessing his file as they understand he has queried the manner that the redress in his calculation was worked out. They will contact him when their investigations are complete - the waiting continues...........

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Further update on this as promised -

Yesterday Mr L spoke to the new adjudicator reviewing his complaint. Apparently the adjudicator has discussed the issues surrounding the interest not awarded to Mr L in great depth with someone at MBNA and they have assured him that they are not prepared to pay out another penny in interest. The adjudicator said the most the FOS would have awarded is the 8% simple, definitely not contractual, and that they are convinced that MBNA have paid out as much as Mr L is entitled to.

As the 8% would have only amounted to an additional £120 on top of what has been refunded already, we have decided not to take this any further.

I feel like I'm giving up, but I am bogged down with trying to sort out my LTSB bank charges issues - I have to apply for stay to be lifted by 26/2/10 or my case will be struck out and I'm getting somewhat panicky as its a big one and if I lose the costs could be huge - and Mr L is currently unable to work due to severe mental and physical exhaustion, which is rather a worry so I really need don't have time to fight anymore on this one.

Apologies to the rest of you guys holding out for contractual interest from MBNA and hope you all have more success with this than me;)

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Further update on this as promised -

Yesterday Mr L spoke to the new adjudicator reviewing his complaint. Apparently the adjudicator has discussed the issues surrounding the interest not awarded to Mr L in great depth with someone at MBNA and they have assured him that they are not prepared to pay out another penny in interest. The adjudicator said the most the FOS would have awarded is the 8% simple, definitely not contractual, and that they are convinced that MBNA have paid out as much as Mr L is entitled to.

As the 8% would have only amounted to an additional £120 on top of what has been refunded already, we have decided not to take this any further.

I feel like I'm giving up, but I am bogged down with trying to sort out my LTSB bank charges issues - I have to apply for stay to be lifted by 26/2/10 or my case will be struck out and I'm getting somewhat panicky as its a big one and if I lose the costs could be huge - and Mr L is currently unable to work due to severe mental and physical exhaustion, which is rather a worry so I really need don't have time to fight anymore on this one.

Apologies to the rest of you guys holding out for contractual interest from MBNA and hope you all have more success with this than me;)

Landy x

It seems that the best we can hope for on PPI reclaims is the 8% statutory interest back to the start of the premium payments.

Shame as they the banks have been sitting on shed loads of our money putting it into other ventures and gaining massive returns.

At least we have the satisfaction of knowing the PPI bubble has burst and 90% of folks are getting money back.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

It seems that the best we can hope for on PPI reclaims is the 8% statutory interest back to the start of the premium payments.

Shame as they the banks have been sitting on shed loads of our money putting it into other ventures and gaining massive returns.

At least we have the satisfaction of knowing the PPI bubble has burst and 90% of folks are getting money back.

aa

Very true Alan. At least we're getting somewhere, so we should give ourselves a well-earned pat on the back!

I suppose this thread should finally have a ***WON*** added to it now that its over at last;)

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

• 3 weeks later...

First congrats on getting cash out of MBNA but I would ask, do MBNA appear to have got their 'feet under the table' at FOS Offices? I'm going to bypass FOS and take them to court on the subject of interest - as I understand it Compound (or contractual) interest is still a legitimate target of have I missed zummit zumwhere?

First congrats on getting cash out of MBNA but I would ask, do MBNA appear to have got their 'feet under the table' at FOS Offices? I'm going to bypass FOS and take them to court on the subject of interest - as I understand it Compound (or contractual) interest is still a legitimate target of have I missed zummit zumwhere?

Thanks Kenny:)

I don't think its necessarily only MBNA who have their 'feet under the table' at the FOS - from recent experience it seems that LTSB do as well and the general consensus appears to be that all financial institutions are looked on more favourably by the FOS than us mere mortals!

It is definitely possible to get contractual interest back from some institutions, but it seems to be much easier on loans than cards - I did on a Sainsbury's loan - but I haven't had any joy on a card as yet.

Court could well be your best option and there are Caggers who prefer this method - Castlebest I believe, is one who has done this with great success, so it might be a good idea to have a look at his threads. If I don't get anywhere with LTSB via the FOS (who are currently insisting I sign an acceptance form with no knowledge of how much is being offered) I will probably be joining you!

Good Luck with your claim!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I'm still pushing the compound contactual interest issue, the way I see it we got it on credit card charges so why not ppi payment as they are added to the account the same way. The FOS dont seem to want to take this into account though!

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol