• Tweets

• Thank you both, I will make those changes. I have also downloaded the compensation list to add to the evidence and complete the protection bit off their website.  I am going to court next Thursday to deliver the bundle; I will confirm this on Tuesday. I have been to court a few times to represent the military when a soldier is in court, but I will be going. Thank you for all the additional advice. Once I have the whole bundle, I will email it to the admin email. Ill be honest, this is not about the money for me, I do not mind losing that, so I will not be signing a confidentiality agreement.   You guys are amazing
    • Actually there wasn't a massive amount of work to do on the WS.  The "meat" was there because of the great work you'd already done. Here is a version which I think is nigh-on finished. However, with Easter there are a few days for the other regulars to suggest tweaks. Defendant WS.pdf
    • Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer via phone. This part has now failed, as confirmed by the manufacturers who sent out their engineer FOC. This engineer installed a replacement part, our machine came back to life, but sadly they had to remove this part used for testing as "we would be charged for it" otherwise and reinstalled the old faulty board. The retailer are refusing to replace this part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landy_alert v MBNA PPI **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi PF:)

We sent it to the bank - but will do as you suggest and send a copy with covering letter to the FOS.

Thank you for pointing that out!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Landy,

Your Welcome sorry if im creating more paperwork for you but as the FOS was handling this complaint for you its only right you keep them informed.

Also if they see you have sent the bank there FOS printouts there is no argument on both sides.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi PF:)

No, don't worry - no probs at all - although most of my correspondence at the moment seems to be winging its way to the FOS. They're probably going to be mighty sick of me by the time I'm finished, but it's what they are there for I suppose so I shouldn't feel guilty!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

No, don't worry - no probs at all - although most of my correspondence at the moment seems to be winging its way to the FOS. They're probably going to be mighty sick of me by the time I'm finished, but it's what they are there for I suppose so I shouldn't feel guilty!

Do not feel guilty at all if MBNA sorted out this complaint in the first place you would not have the need to complaint to the FOS besides have a smile that every complaint the FOS deal with MBNA get charged.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 1 month later...

Hi Landy,

How are you ? Have you had any further news on this yet ?

I'm still waiting for my cheque from MBNA, i suppose they will drag their heels and make me wait as long as possible.

FOS said i should hear from them within 4 weeks :rolleyes:

I was just wondering did you pursue compensation from MBNA via the FOS or did the FOS arrange it ?

Livis xx

Hi Livis:)

I'm fine thanks, hope you are too?

We haven't heard anything other than an acknowledgement from the FOS on receipt of the copy of MBNA's offer letter sent to them at the end of August.

We wrote to MBNA saying that their offer would be accepted as partial settlement only, but there has been no further cheque nor any correspondence at all from them.

In fact Mr L is off later in the week so I think he should give the FOS a call (as it's his account and I'm doing all the legwork for him!) to try to establish what's going on.

When we received the payment from them back in August it was for premiums plus 'associated interest' and £100 compensation - this was on the recommendation of the FOS.

Did you get your interest issue sorted out?

It was about 3 weeks after the FOS's letter that Mr L received his cheque, so hopefully you will receive yours soon!

Take care,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy thanks for getting back to me.

I don't know what will happen with regards to the interest, i've decided to wait and see what turns up and then go from there .

I have my fingers crossed that they pay back contractual interest but i doubt they will.

Have you found anyone else on the forum that has had this type of interest paid back on a ppi missold account?

Have a good day,

Livis xx

There are definitely some people who have received both contractual and 8% statutory interest - if you have a look at the 'PPI successes' thread you will find a few.

At the moment Camdenite is going through something similar regarding MBNA/FOS and contractual interest on PPI - have a read of their thread in this forum (apologies, I still have problems doing a link:D).

Generally speaking I think this whole contractual interest issue is a very grey area - we have just received a payout from Sainsbury's Bank for credit card charges that includes contractual and 8%, yet the same bank are refusing to pay us back contractual on a single premium PPI policy on a loan. M&S have also recently made us an offer for PPI premiums plus 8% on a credit card, but have stated catagorically that they won't refund contractual interest.......

The FOS doesn't seem to know what they are doing regarding interest and seem to be giving out mixed messages on the subject:???:

We could always do as BankFodder suggests and forget contractual interest and go for restitutionary damages instead!

Take care,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone:)

Just updating this thread, particularly as MBNA and the contractual interest question seem to be the topic on everyone's lips at the moment;)

I have today emailed the FOS adjudicator dealing with Mr Landy's MBNA PPI complaint reiterating that Mr L only received his premiums (£612 approx) plus 'associated interest' of £33 approx plus £100 compensation - he didn't even get 8% interest:(

I mentioned (again!) that I thought the refund was supposed to put you back into the position you would have been in had the PPI not been mis-sold, which as I understood meant refunding the contractual rate of interest that had been charged.

So far there has been no response from the FOS adjudicator - they've probably gone home early 'cos it's friday!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy,

interesting to see what they come back with.

I still haven't had a reply to my e mail which i sent to them yesterday morning.

If enough of us keep pushing the contractual interest arguement, hopefully they will get the message :rolleyes:

Do you know of anyone that has successfully claimed back CI from MBNA PPI ?

I've yet to find anyone ???

Take Care

Livis xx

I don't think I've come across anyone to be honest, which isn't very reassuring. Maybe if there is someone, they will see all this discussion we are having on the subject and identify themself!

What confuses me also is the fact that in Mr L's case they haven't even mentioned 8% interest - very weird!

As soon as I get a response from the FOS I'll let you know.

Take care,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy and anyone else looking in,

One solution to this could be by having a mooch at your statements.

The approach i have taken with Barclaycard is that on some of my statements i have 0% balance transfers.Now as we know repayments pay off the amounts attracting lowest interest first.As Barclaycard statements are itemised you can see the amount owing on the balance transfer reducing by the amount repaid that month.Thus proving in black and white that PPI was charged at the compound rate,as all your payment went to towards the balance transfer.

I've just received an email from the FOS adjudicator in response to mine sent last week in which I enquired about the 8% interest having not been awarded to Mr L by MBNA - the response was that 'there was no credit balance for interest to be calculated on'.

They confirm that MBNA have calculated redress as per their guidelines and imply that the matter is now closed.

So once again no contractual interest, but not even any simple interest either - just 'associated interest' at £33 on a refund of £600+:mad:

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I've just received an email from the FOS adjudicator in response to mine sent last week in which I enquired about the 8% interest having not been awarded to Mr L by MBNA - the response was that 'there was no credit balance for interest to be calculated on'.

They confirm that MBNA have calculated redress as per their guidelines and imply that the matter is now closed.

So once again no contractual interest, but not even any simple interest either - just 'associated interest' at £33 on a refund of £600+:mad:

Regards,

Landy x

I believe this deserves a follow up letter asking for the Guidelines the FOS use when making an adjudication there seem to be so many differing results depending on who is dealing. The FOS must have set of guidelines for their staff to use when making decisions on complaints. You should perhaps ask them for a copy.

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi aa and Livis:)

Mr Landy has today received (despite the postal strike!) a hard copy of the email from the FOS adjudicator. Included with is a table with the list of the charges he made for PPI and alongside those charges the figures for 'associated interest'.

It is set out as follows -

Date..........Premium..........Associated Interest........Interest Rate

****.........£37.58...................£0.46.....................15.90%

****.........£36.75...................£1.98.....................27.90%

................etc etc with a total at the bottom of the 'associated interest' column of £33.56.

Also included in their letter are examples of how the FOS calculate redress depending on whether the credit card account is still open, PPI still in force etc. In all three examples it states that -

'if that should produce a credit balance for any period, credit interest on that balance at 8% simple per year'

They state that -

'MBNA have confirmed there was no credit balance for interest to be calculated on.'

So I'm not really sure where this leaves me and what, if anything, I can do (or should be doing) next:confused:

The FOS guidelines do clearly state that 8% simple interest will only be applied if there is a credit balance, so it looks as though I cannot argue with that, but surely going back to the dreaded contractual question - he was charged interest at the contractual rate and should therefore be refunded this.

In the meantime my next worry is that the DCA who has purchased this account will now start hounding him for repayment of the balance (£6k+)again, which they have not done since August.

Any advice on how I should next proceed would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy,

Just seen your post.

My debt was sold on to a debt collector too, so on that basis i would be in the same position as you as having no credit balance.

Thinking about it, as that falls within the FOS brief of how the claim should be redressed, they probably will not deal with our claims anymore :x

Who did your get get sold to? Mine is with equidebt, and is a debt of around £8K :confused::confused::confused::confused:, i haven't heard from them for a few months now.

After requesting the cca in january i heard nothing for months, then when they did produce it, i questioned it's enforcability and i haven't heard from them since.

Now i've said that they will probably rear their ugly heads out of the woodwork :lol:

Once my cheque has cleared i will put a letter together to MBNA asking for the CI again, nothing ventured nothing gained eh:-)

Hopefully aa will pop along soon and have a look at the points you've raised.

Livis xx

This is getting ridiculous with regard to the FOS and contractual interest.It seems a cosy little stitch up between the banks and the FOS to mitigate their losses on a mis-sale.

I have been wanting to go the court route with various claims for a while now but have been put off by the procedure.

Out of all the claims i have, one is with MBNA which is for just over £100 .Its pointless waiting for the FOS as i will not get contractual just a bit of simple interest, as the account is paid up and closed.

What i will now do is do an LBA by the end of the weekend,and post up all updates and progress in a new thread.Hopefully we can all get some pointers as to how to proceed.I'll title the thread as Herman goes for MBNA ppi +contractual.

That's interesting then - I hadn't realised yours had been sold too. Ours is with Apex. Ours was considered enforceable by those in the know here although there are issues over the linking of the two pages of the agreement and I personally don't think the two originated from the same document.

We did contact MBNA regarding the lack of CI back at the end of August and haven't had any reply from them, so I think I will put together another letter and as you say, have another try.......it can't hurt!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Herman:)

Sorry my last post crossed with yours - I wasn't ignoring you;)

I completely agree - and someone did say that many FOS staff are ex bank workers so maybe that accounts for it!

We too have other PPI issues on credit card accounts where we've been offered just the 8% - as you say it's not worth going to the FOS with these now if we can guess what their response will be.

I have one with M&S that has been dragging on a while - they offered premiums plus 8%, but with CI it would be about £1k more. They said at the last count it was their final response (no cheque received as yet), but I tried one last push for the CI and now they want a further 4 weeks. Normally you would think it was time for the FOS, but now I'm just going to have to wait the 4 weeks and hope they increase their offer as the FOS is pointless:(

Will look out for your new thread and wish you success Herman!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I believe the fact the PPI mis-selling claims have been submitted to the FOS is possibly having an effect on the DCAs chasing you on the issue of them collecting a debt which has been sold on.

How clever are the financial institutions in that you fall into a late payment they put you in default and charge you a fee just at the point you decide they have mis-sold PPI. It is my belief that a lot of banks will now be finding a way to put you in default to fend of the PPI reclaiming (Yes another delaying tactic)

Keep up with the fight :cool:

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating this thread -

Well I've been going through Mr L's statements in the light of the FOS's comment that they will -

(A) reconstruct the account by removing any premiums in respect of the PPI and any interest or charges in respect of those premiums;

(B) if that creates a credit balance for any period, credit interest on that balance for that period at 8% simple per year; and

© send the customer a statement showing the resulting balance on the account (with details of how it was calculated)'

and MBNA's statement quoted in the latest letter from the FOS that 'there was no credit balance for interest to be calculated on'.

Mr L had PPI for 24 months, out of which I have calculated that he had a credit balance for 10 months (albeit a pretty small one;)). Doing a rough calculation (as I've not been able to work out the interest charged on the PPI as yet or indeed if there were any charges levied as a result of the PPI being applied) there would have been another 3 months with a credit balance had the PPI not been charged - ie, as per the FOS statement (A) above.

Why then have MBNA said there was no credit balance for interest to be calculated on:confused:

This definitely calls for another letter to the FOS with a request for a proper explanation!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Landy,

I would have had a credit balance with MBNA, but as they have sold the debt on now, their records show the account as 0 as the debt has been effectively wiped off their system.

Is this how they are getting out of not having to pay CI back ?

Just a thought??

Hi Landy,

I would have had a credit balance with MBNA, but as they have sold the debt on now, their records show the account as 0 as the debt has been effectively wiped off their system.

Is this how they are getting out of not having to pay CI back ?

Just a thought??

I must admit that thought did cross my mind - I wouldn't put it past MBNA at all to be that devious:mad:

Whatever they are playing at I'm not going to let it rest here and I presume you won't either?

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded