• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Landy_alert v MBNA PPI **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone:)

Just updating this thread -

Mr Landy back from his hols and acceptance form faxed to FOS. The FOS telephoned him and confirmed it will now be settled asap - 6 weeks being the time previously mentioned by them.

Just wondering though, if the refund is paid straight into the account, what about the £100 compensation - does Mr Landy get that back in the form of a cheque, do you think, or will that also go into the account? If so that seems a little unfair:(

Any opinions would be appreciated as always - thanks guys!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another update -

Mr L has received his PPI refund in the form of a cheque from MBNA, but the amount is far lower than I had calculated - they have refunded the PPI premiums plus around only £30 in interest (as well as the £100 compensation as per the FOS's instructions).

As I understand it, the FOS recommend that the account is to be put back into the position it would have been if the PPI had never been applied, which in this case means there should be interest added at the contractual rate of nearly 25%. This would give a figure for the interest of approx £650 not the £30 they have paid:eek:

Furthermore the FOS says there should be 8% stat interest on top.

When we previously asked the FOS to confirm the amount Mr L would be getting from MBNA before he signed the acceptance form, they told us that signing the form only signified that he was happy with the manner in which MBNA proped to settle the dispute. They said if he received the refund and was not satisfied that it was correct, he should contact MBNA and ask them to explain their calculations. If, having done that, they do not satisfy our concerns we should write again to the FOS.

What I need to know is whether we accept the cheque as partial settlement only, telling MBNA this and asking for the remainder, and if in the meantime we should bank the cheque or not?

In their letter, MBNA say that Mr L has accepted this offer by signing the acceptance form. They also say that as they have complied with the offer, the complaint is now closed and settled - yet the FOS led us to believe we could still query it once received:eek:

Any advice would be most helpful, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Apologies for bumping this again so quickly, but I really need some advice as to whether we should go ahead and bank this cheque whilst writing to MBNA telling them we accept it as partial settlement only..........or keep hold of it until we receive a reply?

Mr L wants to bank it asap to pay some bills etc, but as it's half what we should have received I don't want to jeopardise receiving the remainder:confused:

Many thanks,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

i got the bump ouch !!! i will reply to this one after dinner ok PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

i got the bump ouch !!! i will reply to this one after dinner ok PF

Thank you Sir! You watch out now;)

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Right firstly I can appreciate you wanting to bank it to pay bills.

But knowing how MBNA works if you do that is considered by them as final.

How long ago did you send them the letter ?

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi PF:)

Thank you for taking a look for me.

This one has been with the FOS. We first approached MBNA in March 2009. They denied the mis-selling and after receiving their final response we passed it to the FOS in April.

The FOS ruled in our favour in June and sent us their acceptance form. They said MBNA hadn't stipulated how much we would get, but the FOS way is premiums plus interest charged plus 8% - I took this to mean contractual (24.84% in this case) plus 8%. We would also get £100 compensation.

We tried to get the FOS to tie MBNA down to a figure, but they said as long as we agreed in principle, to sign the acceptance form and we could always query the amount later.

Now MBNA have sent a cheque for the actual premiums paid (£600+) plus £30 odd pounds interest and £100 compensation.

Their accompanying letter states -

'I have arranged a refund of the PPI premiums charged to your credit card account in accordance with the refund guidelines set out by the FOS. You have accepted this offer by signing the acceptance form........as we have now complied with the offer, the complaint is now closed and settled.'

As there is still a balance owed on the card (account now owned by a DCA) they say we are still responsible for repaying this - obviously.

Mr L wants to bank the cheque as we could do with the money, but I'm wary like yourself:eek:

What do you suggest please?

Many thanks,

Landy x

Edited by landy_alert
Typos!!!

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Right ill go to the FOS page that stipulates how redress should be paid. ill post the link here.

Then send that it MBNA along with a covering letter stating that as you can see from the FOS print outs this is how redress should be paid and what you are offering does not return me to the position i should be in.

Ill be back with the link in a while

PF

Right here is one for a credit card it clearly states any interest and or charges should be returned.

To that end, I require the firm to:

(A) reconstruct Mr D’s credit card account, by removing any premiums in respect of the PPI and any interest or charges in respect of those premiums;

(B) if that produces a credit balance for any period, to credit interest on that balance for that period at 8% simple per year; and

© send Mr D a statement showing the resulting balance on the account (with details of how it was calculated).

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/omb-decision-D.pdf

Here is another:

(A) reconstruct Mr E’s credit card account by removing any premiums in relation to the PPI, and any interest or charges in relation to those premiums;

(B) if that produces a credit balance for any period, credit interest on that balance for that period at 8% simple per year; and

© send Mr E a statement showing the resulting balance on the account (with details of how it was calculated).

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/omb-decision-E.pdf

Have a read though those two and send a copy of one to MBNA

PF

• Haha 1

Thank you PF - you're a star as always:D

What about the cheque itself though - are you still of the opinion that we shouldn't bank it?

Poor Mr L has been working all month with no income as he gave up his internet business to take this job. He gets paid on friday but most of that will be swallowed up in bills we haven't been able to pay all this month - he desperately wants to get this cheque in the bank and I need to come up with some really good reasons why we shouldn't pay it in:eek:

Like you I don't trust MBNA as far as I can throw them, but it seems to Mr L that although I'm finally seeing some successes from my endeavours, we're not actually getting the benefit of the money.

Will await your advice, oh wise one!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

So you send a letter to MBNA stating that what you have offered does not return you to the position you should be in due to the contractual interest you have charged me and the FOS PRINTOUTS clearly shows what is a fair redress

simple

PF

Well you could bank it and return the acceptance form back to MBNA clearly stating this is accepted as part payment for the following reasons then enclose with that the covering letter and FOS PRINTOUTS.

PF

Also include in the covering letter the amount that is still outstanding in bold lettering.

Spell it out for them

PF

Does that all make sense Landy ?

By sending the print outs i gave you you are proving that they are wrong.

PF

Thank you for finding those examples for me and for setting out what I should do - I will do as you suggest as it makes perfect sense.

If Mr L is still adamant that he wants to bank the cheque I will make sure we follow your advice to the letter.

Will keep you updated of course - thank you for taking up so much of your time with my issues over the last couple of days - I just hope you get your big payout very soon as you thoroughly deserve it!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Thank You Landy I must admit i could really do with that chq now.

I did phone the FOS again but got put threw to someone who was not dealing with my case and again all they said was it is being dealt with and you should here soon.

I did say that I do not understand why it has already taken a year because surely they have already admitted they where wrong by making a half baked offer so this case is only to establish the correct redress.

Anyway do not worry i will keep at them so long as i get the money in time for xmas i will be happy.

You take care

Regards

PF

And everyone here will be very happy for you too PF - you're certainly the PPI forum hero:D

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Landy I am merely carrying out Alanalana and Maroondevo52 instuctions and covering the PPI forum while Alanalana is away on holiday but i will still of course be here when he returns this week as its Alanalana that calls for my help with interest calculations lol;)

PF

I have another question if you don't mind - it's not totally PPI related but concerns the repayment of the balance due on this account.

All the while the dispute over the mis-sold PPI has been going on, the DCA who now owns this account has been chasing Mr L for the outstanding balance. We have repeatedly informed them that the account is in dispute.

Their latest letter finally agrees that the account is on hold until they have referred back to MBNA regarding the PPI issue.

As the PPI has now been (partially) refunded I am worried that the DCA will start chasing again for the outstanding balance, particularly as MBNA are of the opinion that they have fulfilled their obligations and the matter is now concluded.

I have two queries -

1) Should we contact the DCA and say that the matter has still not been resolved to our satisfaction (re: MBNA only paying a fraction of the PPI and interest back) and that until we have received the full refund we still consider the account to be in dispute?

2) This account was the subject of a dodgy default notice - only 13 days were allowed for service - although unfortunately we don't have the envelope:eek: - and I believe charges were included in the arrears figure quoted. Should we be looking at trying to get a reduced settlement figure - disputing the balance due?

Apologies that these questions are not totally PPI related - I will try raising the same points on my old MBNA thread in the relevant forum as well.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I have another question if you don't mind - it's not totally PPI related but concerns the repayment of the balance due on this account.

All the while the dispute over the mis-sold PPI has been going on, the DCA who now owns this account has been chasing Mr L for the outstanding balance. We have repeatedly informed them that the account is in dispute.

Their latest letter finally agrees that the account is on hold until they have referred back to MBNA regarding the PPI issue.

As the PPI has now been (partially) refunded I am worried that the DCA will start chasing again for the outstanding balance, particularly as MBNA are of the opinion that they have fulfilled their obligations and the matter is now concluded.

I have two queries -

1) Should we contact the DCA and say that the matter has still not been resolved to our satisfaction (re: MBNA only paying a fraction of the PPI and interest back) and that until we have received the full refund we still consider the account to be in dispute?

2) This account was the subject of a dodgy default notice - only 13 days were allowed for service - although unfortunately we don't have the envelope:eek: - and I believe charges were included in the arrears figure quoted. Should we be looking at trying to get a reduced settlement figure - disputing the balance due?

Apologies that these questions are not totally PPI related - I will try raising the same points on my old MBNA thread in the relevant forum as well.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

Go for option 1: at the present. If the problem you had has still not been satisfactorily resolved then it is still in dispute.

Have you obtained a Subject Access Request ?. This might throw some light on the Default Notice, I think if you scout round the MBNA forums you will see that they routinely send their DNs out using UK Mail service which even if they use the "1st class" option, still takes 3 days to deliver (according to UK Mail's own website) so therefore can be considered a 2nd class mailing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi citB:)

Thanks for your advice - it's most appreciated!

We did send off for a SAR many months ago but when they asked for passport/driving licence as proof of ID we never followed it up - now we know all about how to sign without letting them lift your sig we should really give it another go - in fact will get onto that this week!

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

if they send mail to your address that should be prove enough if it is not id be asking the question why they they are sending your mail there

if they send mail to your address that should be prove enough if it is not id be asking the question why they they are sending your mail there

Hope you're having a good bank holiday!

That's true - not only that but they're also quite happy to be sending out a cheque for hundreds of pounds to this address in the way of the PPI refund.

I'll definitely redo the SAR this week and see what excuses they come up with this time!

By the way, forgot to add - we've sent a letter accepting the refund in part settlement only, enclosing the FOS printout and copies of the letters sent from FOS explaining how redress is calculated and should be repaid.

Regards,

Landy x

Edited by landy_alert
Added something!

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

By the way, forgot to add - we've sent a letter accepting the refund in part settlement only, enclosing the FOS printout and copies of the letters sent from FOS explaining how redress is calculated and should be repaid.

Did you send this to bank or FOS if it was the bank i would also copy it to the FOS with a covering letter.

PF