• Tweets

• I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Howard Cohen is no more!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No he is not dead, but they have merged with another solicitor to form Cohen Cramer. As such Howard Cohen & Co are only listed with the Law Society under organisations and as having one office in Leeds, with no registered Solicitors at this address.

The address they are using on stationary to collect CL Finance debts no longer exists with the Law Society and should be questioned if recieved.

Complain to the SRA if they can't give a reasonable explanation.

Leeds law firms Howard Cohen and Cramer Richards announce merger - Yorkshire Evening Post

CohenCramer Solicitors

The Law Society - Find a solicitor

Also Companies House lists them as being dormant up until July 2008 with overdue accounts since.

There is also this - Status: Active - Proposal to Strike off

which I dont understand.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/97043cfcb1df72f38cc1d46d19b76850/compdetails

Pookey

Edited by pookeymonkey
  • Haha 2

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Companies House lists them as being dormant up until July 2008 with overdue accounts since.

which I dont understand.

-------------

If a company does not fill in and file statutary accounts at Companies

House they will be struck off the company register and cease to exist as a

company, 'proposal' status means they are close to being gone, they have

had their final warning from Companies House.

• Haha 1

hello this is interesting to me may i pls ask when you mention cl finance, ive had a ge money account sent to them which im disputing but not heard from cl finance for a few months now thus im thinking, what now,,,no court papers or anything yet,,,,, but am also awaiting sars from ge whom are playing at not receiving them etc,,,,

anyway ive subbed to this thread and for further info many thanks

angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

That is really interesting. I pay my CCJ instalments (CL Finance) to them every month. I pay online and all the time it has been saying "Lewis Group" not Howard Cohen. Have they ever been registered with the Law Society? How can they collect money when not even registered at Companies House?

Will sub this is interesting.

HH

Hmm

This may throw a spanner in my counterclaim against them

Poo

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

We need some fraud experts, this could get VERY interesting indeed

PS: Thanks Pookey

PPS: Given the number of CAG'ers affected by HC's work for CL Finance and the like, could a MOD please sticky this?

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

which I dont understand.

-------------

If a company does not fill in and file statutary accounts at Companies

House they will be struck off the company register and cease to exist as a

company, 'proposal' status means they are close to being gone, they have

had their final warning from Companies House.

Dormant means what it says - they haven't been trading but the company is still registered. Its possible the strike off is something they requested as they have no need for the company any more - when you apply to have a company struck off it takes 3-6 months before it is done, to allow anyone to challenge it if they want.

I suspect this is probably a red herring though and they haven't been using this company for trading recently, or perhaps ever. There is no reference to it on the letter I received from Howard Cohen, their address is a PO Box in Cleakheaton (home of CL Finance & Lewis Debt Recovery).

It would appear that CL Finance are simply using the Howard Cohen name whilst handling everything themselves. Is that legal?

Has anyone tried raising it with the Solicitors Regulation Authority?

Can I just ask please, If a Solicitor turns up at my court hearing next week and says they are from Howard Cohen as stated on the court papers acting for CL Finance, is this legal, as Howard Cohen have no registered lawyers or solicitors and if the solicitors say they are from another named company, is this allowed as the court papers say Howard Cohen are acting on behalf of CL Finance?

Or maybe CL Finance would represent themselves, Hmmmmm.

Thanks Vixta

Can I just ask please, If a Solicitor turns up at my court hearing next week and says they are from Howard Cohen as stated on the court papers acting for CL Finance, is this legal, as Howard Cohen have no registered lawyers or solicitors and if the solicitors say they are from another named company, is this allowed as the court papers say Howard Cohen are acting on behalf of CL Finance?

Or maybe CL Finance would represent themselves, Hmmmmm.

Thanks Vixta

Unless the case is in their local court they wouldn't represent themselves anyway, they would most likely have a firm of solicitors local to the court do it. At least that is my experiences from other similar court hearings.

But there might be an issue with them not informing the courts of the change of name of their legal practice. The solicitors representing my mortgage company (when I had arrears and they applied for repossession) changed their name and they sent me a formal letter detailing the change and they informed the courts.

So if they don't inform you and the courts its possible they're in the wrong. Not sure how to check on what the rules are regarding this though.

I'm going to keep tabs on this one. I've got 2 claims against me from CL Finance with Cohen acting as their solicitors so this development is very interesting! I'm at the AQ stage for both claims (one deadline was Monday just gone, the other is next Monday).

If anyone's interested, my thread can be accessed using the link below:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/172678-cl-finance-howard-cohen.html

Wakieblue

Just thought I would give them a ring to ask about my judgments. They answer the phone as Howard Cohen. I asked if they are solicitors to which they replied "of course what makes you think otherwise". Will still pay my judgments though.

We need more people on this it is sounding very strange

HH

Just another update, The people who deal with my case at Howard Cohen are not registered with the Law Society - how can they claim to be a solicitor. I understand there are paralegals and assistant solicitors who handle case loads.

My friend has just rung up pretending to be from a large company (she does work in a large company btw) and asked whether they handle debt collection to which Cohens replied "no" and also asked the Lewis Group the same and they said "no".

Who the hell am I paying my instalments to.

HH

www.lewisgroup.co.uk is their website and their parent company is www.cattles.co.uk Edited by andymanx

Check out the threads below for updates on the DCA's that I am dealing with.

GE Money/CL Finance/Howard Cohen & Co - AND - Aktiv Kapital/Appleton Massey Solicitors - IN COURT

Cabot x 2 for Vanquis & Hitatchi - DEFAULTED ON CCA REQUEST

Lowell for Capital One - CANCELLED DEBT!! Trying to get Default removed now

Moorcroft x 2 for Halifax Loan & Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Wescot for Halifax Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Cap Quest for Argos Card - RETURNED TO ARGOS

Details about them from Companies House:

Name & Registered Office:

THE LEWIS GROUP LIMITED

Company No. NF003060

spacer.gifStatus :

Foreign Company (Northern Ireland)

For further information please contact:

Belfast Registry

Registrar of Companies

First Floor Waterfront Plaza

8 Laganbank Road

Belfast BT1 3BS

Tel: 08456048888

GE Money/CL Finance/Howard Cohen & Co - AND - Aktiv Kapital/Appleton Massey Solicitors - IN COURT

I read elsewhere @ http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/55769-cl-finance-ltd.html that The Lewis Group and CL Finance are both the same company.

www.lewisgroup.co.uk is their website and their parent company is www.cattles.co.uk

:lol: Seems as though some DCA could soon be knocking on Cattles' door:

FT.com / Companies / Financial Services - Cattles suspends executives and issues new alert

'Shares in Cattles plummeted 40 per cent on Tuesday after the subprime lender suspended three senior executives in Welcome Financial Services, its main operating company, and warned 2008 profits were likely to be “substantially lower” than market expectations.'...

'Analysts raised concerns that Cattles, which has delayed its 2008 results, could breach its banking covenants, which would trigger all £2.6bn of its group debt to fall due.'....

'Cattles is due to refinance a £500m debt facility with a syndicate of 22 banks led by Royal Bank of Scotland later this summer, plus a further £135m facility that falls due to Royal Bank of Scotland in December. It has stopped lending to new customers.'....

Maybe this is the reason for HC's 'desertion' of its offices? Solicitors jumping the sinking ship?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Finally got a disclosure list through from 'Howard Cohen', fortunately this is part of a Court Order which also states that I should be allowed to inspect the documents on this list.

This gave me a golden opportunity to do some more digging!!!!!!!!!

So I put on my best 'confused and don't really know whats going on voice' and phoned 'Howard Cohen'. After a quick intro, which involved giving a refernce number and no security questions - not even my name! I established that the 'Credit Agreement' they are relying on is a microfiche copy and they do not have the original - but thats another story! We then proceeded on to the main purpose of my call -

I said 'Can I come and have a look at the documents?'

HC - quite shocked 'You want to come to the office and look at them! I can send you copies'

PM - 'No thanks I would like to see them in person'

HC - 'Oh ok, we are open 9.00 - 5.00 Mon - Fri'

PM - 'Can I just drop in?'

HC - 'No you had better make an appointment'

PM - 'Ok I will see what I am up to next week and call back. By the way where are you so I know where to come?'

HC - 'Our address is Lawrence House, Riverside Drive, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, BD19 4DH'

PM - 'Thats the same address as The Lewis Group, isn't it?'

HC - 'Errr yes. We have and office in the same building'

PM - 'Thanks bye'

Put phone down to the sound of cogs whirring as she realised she had been scammed for the information I was really after - their address.:-D

So now we know 'Howard Cohens' real address in Cleckheaton, not the PO Box they hide behind. Who would have thought it would have been the same as The Lewis Group?:roll:

Pookey

Nice work that man

What a lovely bunch of helpful people they are

I must add I'm utterly amazed that they've managed to comply with disclosure, did you ask for the deed of assignment (that is, the actual sale doc from the creditor to CL?) and proof of registered post? (as required by the 1925 property act)

They were asked by Court Order to disclose all documents that they will be relying upon only documents they have are

Copy of the microfiche copy of the 'Credit agreement'

copy statements 'various'

copy of notice of assignment

The rest is copies of letters either myself or the Court has written and I already have these.

I am going to start a new thread regarding this claim as it is dragging on and should not have been allowed to get this far. All will be revealed!

Pookey

PS They also missed the Court Order deadline by 3 days, and sent the docs 2nd class (so they obviously dont care). I am going to ask that their claim is struck out - as the Court order said I could if they don't comply.

Now I have their address I have just found this -

Howard Cohen & Co | InterSolicitors.co.uk

So they are advertising themselves as solicitors, no mention of Cohen Cramer and still The Lewis Group DX No. Still no record of them at that address on The Law Society website.

Also their stationary is headed 'Howard Cohen & Co. Solicitors' not just Howard Cohen & Co. Small point but surely they should be called one or the other.

Still Im almost ready to put my complaint to the SRA.

Pookey