I applied for a vacancy with DEFRA - Positive discrimination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for a vacancy with DEFRA and on the form I completed the disabled section where it states that if you meet the minimum criteria you will be guaranteed an interview. In addition I also stated that I woudl like someone from Shaw Trust who help the disabled present at the interview.

Although I qualified with more than the minimum criteria for an administration vacancy (I have a degree, have worked in administration for a number of years and also been a branch manageer for a national company) no interview was forthcoming.

I feel that I have been discriminated against because of my disability. Do you agree?

Is it worth pursuing or should I just let it drop? This is the second time that this has happened with the same organisation.

Feel free to pursue it if you feel aggrieved, just be aware there may be pitfalls.

Current legal opinion on the positive about disabled people scheme, under which you applied, is that failure to meet its requirement does not result in a breach of the DDA generlly, though it might in very specific circumstanstances.

Your first step needs to be to seek feedback as to why you were not shortlisted, and then to decide objectively if you feel their reasons were reasonable. It may just be a case that you didn't match your skills and experiences up well enough on the application form. It happens sometimes.

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

I may have been over qualified for the position, but either way I fulfilled all the minimum criteria for a guaranteed interview.

I did request feedback but was told that due to the large number of applications this was not possible.

This was the second time I applied for a position with DEFRA and the first was rejected out of hand although once again I satisfied all the criteria.

I have worked in administration for more years than I care to remember in addition to having obtained a degree several years ago which is why I think they are discriminating against disabled people.

• dx100uk changed the title to I applied for a vacancy with DEFRA - Positive discrimination