1st Credit ? Things have gone very quiet.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a dodgy looking SD from Connaught on behalf of 1st Credit ages ago.I CCA'd them and they returned my £1.00, closed the file and returned it to 1st Credit.

I'll find the paperwork out and send an email to the OFT.

As Tesco says - Every little helps:D

That exactly mirrored my experience with them, definitely let the OFT know about it, as you say every little helps!

in nov. 06 I had a SD from connoughts-firstcredit, and after phoning them was told if I payed them £100 they would set it aside and then pay£20 per month afterwards (which I still do for a quiet life) I think the debt was SB at the time anyway ;which is the easiest way to get them to prove to me when the last payment to the OC was made and shall I report them to OFT for sending me an SD as a scaretactic??

Should def be reported to OFT, they need to know that Connaught and 1st Credit work in this manner, the more waves we can create against connaught the more chance they will get a slap like 1st credit. It would also be worth CCAing them and getting them to prove they have an enforceable debt and if they don't then that'll save you a bit of cash each month :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buyout giants circle 1st Credit - Telegraph

Looks like as of yesterday 1st Credit is going through a buyout.

Interested parties Cattles and Provident. Hmm I thought Cattles were in deep financal doo as of last week? :rolleyes:

After the recent bad press, I doubt the bids will be as high as Bridgeoint would like. Epecially as now the OFT will be watching 1st Credit like a hawk.

Interesting comment in response to this article....

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2009/02/debt-collectors-1st-credit-for.html

"I agree with Fred. The other side of the coin is that a friend of mine has just lost their job working for a debt collection agency. He tells me that the business is failing because debtors will exploit their situation in order to avoid paying money which they genuinely owe."

What's the betting that the person who wrote the above also works for a DCA? DCA employees have no friends outside their grubby industry.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

in nov. 06 I had a SD from connoughts-firstcredit, and after phoning them was told if I payed them £100 they would set it aside and then pay£20 per month afterwards (which I still do for a quiet life) I think the debt was SB at the time anyway ;which is the easiest way to get them to prove to me when the last payment to the OC was made and shall I report them to OFT for sending me an SD as a scaretactic??

End them off a CCA request now.After 12 working days stop paying them. Its that simple. If they do manage to produce a properly executed CCA then we can help you decide on the best way to deal with it.

Normally I would not advocate kicking someone when they are down. However in the case of these Cretins I would advise kick them hard while they are down and keep on kicking them.

The best way to kick them is by reprorting them to the OFT for ANY breach of the regulations no matter how small. Report every infringement, every wrong word spoken on the phone. Report EVERYTHING and let the OFT see what a shower these so called debt professionals really are. If one DCA threat monkey or even better one of their managers loses their job then that will be excellent news.

Buyout giants circle 1st Credit - Telegraph

Looks like as of yesterday 1st Credit is going through a buyout.

Interested parties Cattles and Provident. Hmm I thought Cattles were in deep financal doo as of last week? :rolleyes:

After the recent bad press, I doubt the bids will be as high as Bridgeoint would like. Epecially as now the OFT will be watching 1st Credit like a hawk.

That was from last year Fuzzy.;)

I also doubt Cattles have the money for a cup of coffee right now.:p

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Normally I would not advocate kicking someone when they are down. However in the case of these Cretins I would advise kick them hard while they are down and keep on kicking them.

The best way to kick them is by reprorting them to the OFT for ANY breach of the regulations no matter how small. Report every infringement, every wrong word spoken on the phone. Report EVERYTHING and let the OFT see what a shower these so called debt professionals really are. If one DCA threat monkey or even better one of their managers loses their job then that will be excellent news.

I agree. People have been complaining about 1st Credit for years. They just carried on with their abhorrent practices. Their Director becomes President of the CSA - and still they carried on with their shabby nasty ugly 'tactics'.

The sooner these DCAs are gone the better.

That was from last year Fuzzy.;)

I also doubt Cattles have the money for a cup of coffee right now.:p

Oops :eek: Still haven't got the hang of 2009 yet. I put 2008 on a job application form this morning too.

Looks like they may have pulled the plug on 1st Credit then. As each day goes by it's looking more and more likely. Let's hope so anyway.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

The CSA still has no mention of OFT/1st Credit.

Really embarrassing for them, I expect. What with their President helping to draw up the CSA Codes of Conduct.:rolleyes:

Lowells. They're well known for buying known statute barred debts. So they should get a slap from the OFT. They've had load of complaint's so a few more may help tip the balance.

Moorcroft, because they get a lot of mentions on here. They never respond to a complaint properly and prefer to hid behind form letters from their Pre Court Division. :rolleyes:

Also their credit licence is due for renewal soon, so a mass furry of complaint's is the last thing they'd like to see right now.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

So, a DCA cannot operate because it's forced to obey the laws and regulations - that speaks volumes about this crummy industry and good riddance!

Typical of DCA supporters to blame the consumer for enforcing their rights. If the banks had been more careful, they wouldn't have to cheat, lie and menace, would they?

The Office of Fair Trading: OFT imposes requirements on 1st Credit over debt collection practices

OFT imposes requirements on 1st Credit over debt collection practices

20/09 25 February 2009

The OFT has taken action against 1st Credit Ltd requiring the company to improve its debt collection practices.

The OFT has imposed 'requirements' on 1st Credit using consumer credit powers, after an investigation found that some of its business processes and procedures failed to meet satisfactory standards. As a result, 1st Credit Ltd and its associated companies must:

* refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated

* not discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that such action will be taken

* ensure that sensitive cases involving vulnerable individuals, for example those with mental health or medical problems, are dealt with appropriately, and

* ensure that all matters of concern raised with them by the free advice sector and other third parties are dealt with appropriately.

1st Credit must also report back to the OFT every six months providing statistics regarding the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors.

Failure to comply with the requirements could lead to a fine of up to £50,000 for each occurance and/or possible revocation of 1st Credit's consumer credit licence.

In 2008, following receipt of an application to vary an associated company's licence, the OFT carried out an in-depth investigation into the business practices and procedures employed by companies operating under the 1st Credit banner. In assessing the companies' competence to carry out consumer credit activities, the OFT conducted on-site visits and reviewed complaints received about 1st Credit Ltd's debt collection practices via consumers, Citizens Advice, CCCS and Consumer Direct.

The OFT raised concerns about its dissatisfaction with 1st Credit's behaviour and confirmed that it was looking to impose requirements to improve some of the company's business practices. 1st Credit acknowledged the problems and, as allowed under the Consumer Credit Act, proposed necessary changes to address the OFT's concerns.

Ray Watson, OFT Director for Consumer Credit, said:

'The OFT welcomes the constructive approach that 1st Credit has taken in responding to the OFT's concerns about its activities.

'Debt collection firms have a clear legal obligation to deal fairly and proportionately with consumers. This is more important than ever given the current economic climate, when people may already be suffering as a consequence of debt problems. We will continue to use our licensing powers to take firm action to protect consumers where debt collectors engage in oppressive behaviour or practices that fail to comply with our guidance.'

NOTES

1. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the Act) requires debt collectors, businesses that offer goods or services on credit and/or are involved in activities relating to credit or hire, to be licensed by the OFT.

2. In 2003 the OFT issued the Debt Collection Guidance which sets out minimum standards for those intending to collect debts. Failure to comply with the Debt Collection Guidance may call into question the fitness of a business to hold a consumer credit licence.

3. Following implementation of the OFT's new powers under the Consumer Credit Act 2006 on 6 April 2008, where the OFT is dissatisfied with any matter in connection with a business, a proposal to carry on a business or any other conduct by a licensee, associate or former associate, the OFT may impose 'requirements' on the licensed business. Requirements may require a business to do or not to do (or to cease doing) anything specified for the purposes connected with addressing the OFT's dissatisfaction, or securing that matters of the same or a similar kind do not arise.

4. If a single requirement is not complied with, the business concerned could be subject to a financial penalty of up to £50,000. The OFT may also refuse or revoke a licence if it decides that a trader is not fit to hold one.

5. Decisions to refuse or revoke a consumer credit licence or to impose a requirement or financial penalty are made by an adjudicating officer for and on behalf of the OFT. Before a decision is made, the adjudicating officer issues a notice to the trader. The trader is then given the opportunity to make representations to the adjudicating officer. In the event that the determination is adverse, the trader has the right of appeal against the determination to the Consumer Credit Appeals Tribunal.

6. Alternatively a business may make a proposal to address the OFT's dissatisfaction pursuant to section 33D(4) of the Act. In these circumstances the OFT is not required to issue a notice that it is minded to impose requirements if the proposed determination is in the same terms as the proposal made by the business. This was the process followed by 1st Credit.

7. The Consumer Credit Act 2006 requires the OFT to take into account 'credit competence' when assessing applications. Businesses operating in a high risk part of the market such as the debt collection sector are now subject to greater scrutiny at the licence application stage and greater monitoring throughout the life of the licence.

8. The fact that requirements have been imposed on 1st Credit Ltd appears on the consumer credit register. Download the requirements imposed (pdf 2.44 Mb). We will monitor 1st Credit Ltd's compliance with the requirements. Any complaints about non-compliance should be sent to:

Enquiries

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

[email protected]

9. OFT advice for those being pursued by debt collectors is: don't panic or ignore the problem, seek help and advice from your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau and contact those who you owe money to as soon as possible.

10. On 6 April 2007, the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme was extended to cover consumer credit. This provides consumers with an effective means of resolving consumer credit disputes which have occurred since the scheme's start date if the consumer has failed to satisfactorily resolve the matter directly with the consumer credit licensee itself. The FOS can be contacted at:

The Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

Telephone: 0845 080 1800

Wonder if some people on the advisory board at Bridgepoint are a little uncomfortable?

David

PS Or mabey a DCA can't make any money if it has to abide by the law:eek:

David

Course they cant, should think at least 90% of there portfolio is un-enforceable.

Start writing your CV's threat monkeys you n uncle *** ******* are heading for the dole Queue. Nd I Hope some DCA gets on your Ar*es

:lol:

Now real justice would be uncle bob getting a CCJ because uncle bryan sent the court docs to his old address. :D:D:D

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S