CP Plus Ltd - Fined because someone gave me their ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong area but I'm not great at navigation around forums like this.

I was just at Watford General Hospital visiting my father during my lunch hour. I arrived at 2:00pm and parked in a space. I was walking to the pay and display machine when a kind lady asked if I wanted her ticket as it had around 2 hours left on it. I thought this was very nice of her so accepted it and thanked her, after all, she just saved me £3.

At around 2:50pm I left because I had to get back to work. As I drove away I noticed a charge notice on my windscreen. Apparently its an offence to use a transferred ticket. I did not know this at the time and if I had I wouldn't have accepted the lady's pay and display ticket.

Can anyone suggest what I should do? I don't want to leave it too long as the fine will only be £15 if I pay within 14 days.

Thanks

Hi there. Do not worry.

CP Plus. They operate some of the hospital car parks in Wales that are still under contract. Take Flyingdocs advice. Be prepared for a few threatening letters-one or two from CP Plus then a few more from thier DCA. They will give up after that.

If you are thinking about appealing i would advise you against it as it is a PPC and thier 'appeals' system is done 'in house'-so only one outcome-rejection!! Any problems let us know.

Best wishes

They wouldnt dare.

Lets take a brief look at the obstacles that they would have to overcome.

1 they would have to prove that the sineage in the carpark was sufficient and therefore constituted an offer to enter into a contract.

2 they would have to prove WHO was driving the car, that person (and not the registered keeper) being the only person who could accept the offer by parking and therefore enter into the contract.

3 even if they managed this then law of contract states that in breach of contract they can only claim consequential losses, and since you took a space which had already been paid for there was no loss. Even if they can successfully argue that tickets are not transferrable they could only claim their actual losses in you parking without a ticket - much less than the £15 they are asking for.

They simply will not dare

If I just leave it and ignore the letters can't they take me to court?
They could. But they would be b£oody stupid to try.

It would cost them far more to bring the case than they would get back.

There's no point trying to appeal to their better nature,.... they don't have one.

Follow the advice that's already been posted and you'll be OK.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Ok thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I'll just leave it then. It's a little worrying though when I could just pay the £15, but I'll resist.

Someone at work has just told me that if they are a private company, which they are, they shouldn't be able to get my address to write to as its against data protection. Anyone know if this is true? Sorry to keep asking questions and thanks again for all your help.

They (or the landowner) are entitled to £3 in theory. But since they're trying to profit and demand £15 why should you give them the time of day?

As others have said, expect 3 or 4 threatening letters before they give up. The whole thing is a [problem].

In theory they could take you to court for £3. Ain't gonna happen though is it. It's not even going to happen for £15.

Even then they would have all sorts of problems. Who are they going to sue? They don't know who was driving on the day and so they don't know who any contract was with. Even assuming the contract is kosher in the first place - and the chances of that are miniscule.

Ok thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I'll just leave it then. It's a little worrying though when I could just pay the £15, but I'll resist.

Someone at work has just told me that if they are a private company, which they are, they shouldn't be able to get my address to write to as its against data protection. Anyone know if this is true? Sorry to keep asking questions and thanks again for all your help.

They are definately a PPC and unfortunately they can get your details from the DVLA. Dont let that worry you though as thats standard practice and part of thier scare tactics. Stick to your guns :)

They wouldnt dare.

Lets take a brief look at the obstacles that they would have to overcome.

1 they would have to prove that the sineage in the carpark was sufficient and therefore constituted an offer to enter into a contract.

2 they would have to prove WHO was driving the car, that person (and not the registered keeper) being the only person who could accept the offer by parking and therefore enter into the contract.

3 even if they managed this then law of contract states that in breach of contract they can only claim consequential losses, and since you took a space which had already been paid for there was no loss. Even if they can successfully argue that tickets are not transferrable they could only claim their actual losses in you parking without a ticket - much less than the £15 they are asking for.

They simply will not dare

you forgot to add they would also have to prove that the OPs P&D ticket HAD been transferred from another vehicle. Without the P&D showing any element of the reg number, how would they prove that?