• Tweets

• No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
    • did you submit your directions
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Debt Managers Ltd

HighWayMan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Tomcat,

Its all bluster and bull sh!te.

In order to damage your credit rating they would have to get a court order, which isnt going to happen. Even if they were retarded enough to try, a judge would just look at the date and say:

"Statute Barred!"

Just ignore the letters, but keep them in a safe place.

• 2 weeks later...

Aktiv Kapital are another debt managing company.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Hi,

I have received the pretty much the exact same letter. I know I do not 'own' this debt.

I noticed they have an 0870 number for which they can charge lots of money.

I can only assume this is a con set up to target people who they know have debt issues.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

hi all just joined site today after seeing your comments on aktiv capital / debt managers we have also had letters claiming £170 for something owed in 1998 to barclays bank witch we have not had account with for 10 years. had 4 letters 5 phone calls and they still say we owe them money. we have talked to the bank and they say as acount has been closed for 10 years. well my maths aint that good but if we aint had account for ten years and debt is from 8 years ago it dont add up.

if anyone can shed some more light on this for us we wood be glad for the help. we gonna contact tradeing standards tomorrow and see wot they come up with.

Hi

I had a very similar letter last year from Debt Mangers Ltd. They said I had an unpaied debt of £276 from the year 2000, which I had no recollection of. I phoned them to find out what the debt was for but they told me I would have to ask in writing. I wrote to them twice and never recieved a reply. I asummed it that it was a [problem] and forgot all about it. Then recently my application for a credit card was refused so I checked my credit rating and here was this unpaid debt to Akiv Kapital. I guess I'll have to write to them again but looking through this site I'm not too hopeful of getting this resolved quickly but it's now affecting my credit rating.... not a happy bunny!

Really need some advice... Received a letter this morning saying that my partner had a debt owing for £132. He has NO idea who Debt Managers Ltd are and have had no correspondance about this debt ever before... Their client was Aktiv Kapital Fi - Barclays Banks Plc. He called Debt Managers Ltd. who said this was for a debt with Barclays Bank in 1996!!! Never heard anything about this before and they said it is because they have only just found him. They are very pushy and not overly helpfull with giving any details. My partner authorised them to deal with me about this so I called them to try to get some more information... They said that it was a debt back in 1996 with Barclays Bank. They didn't know the orginial amount that was due back in 1996 and didn't know what the debt was actually for, said it could have been a loan, credit card or charges on overdraft etc.. Said we would have to call Barclays but they prob wouldn't help as the debt was sold on and they wouldn'y hold any info on it now. I said that I wouldn't proceed until they could give me details about what, when, why etc etc. and they responded by saying they couldn't give me any more details so would be passing the debt back to Aktiv Kapital... It is then up to them to contact us and provide the info we need... I confirmed with the girl that they would no longer be chasing us and we owed them no money now and she confirmed this. I also asked her if the conversations were recorded and she confirmed that too...

Is this right and what should i have done cause I am a bit confused as never owed any money before and never dealt with anyone like this before.. Thanks.:confused: :confused:

Dear Sir

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond with you further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement, under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (change this to s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit such as loans etc).

2. A full statement of account.

3. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether or not you are the original creditor, under s.189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxx.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the Consumer Credit Act and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours faithfully,

Hi,

I've read quite a lot about your website tonight after having called the police first.

When I came home today I had a letter from Debt Managers ltd saying "urgent final demand". Apperently I have "a debt overdue for payment" with the Aktiv Kapital FI- Barcleys Bank plc of 134,83£. (No explanation what for or from when. They qoute a Ref. No and a Client Ref)

The "funny" (!?) thing is that my nationality is NOT British or Scottish, and I only moved to this country at the end of february this year- 2007!

WHAT IS GOING ON???....I do not understand anything of it. I've not lived in this country before, never had ANYTHING to do with the Barcleys Bank and haven't even been capable of building up a credit history yet.

The reason why I called the police was that that letter to me was a clear indication of criminal intention and as such to report to the police for investigation, especially after having had quiet some difficulties getting a bank account due to control with fraud etc myself. After having read a lot of your website I have lost ANY faith in banks......They seem to be the biggest bastards/ criminals!!!

I come from abroad and am chocked about what accured to me today and more chocked about that this so- called "debt management" even exists. Where I come from in Europe, the police takes care of such fraudulent companies!

I will follow your advice of not contacting them, but will go to citizen advice as the police advised me to. What is your suggestion? I do not really understand how they can proceed any legal steps anyway, since I've not lived here before.

I am very confused about this and would appreciate any help you could give me the very most.

Thank you very much

• 6 months later...

I received a similar letter from Aktiv Kapital saying I owed them £800 from 1999 - its a [problem] apparently and they just target people on the of chance they might get lucky and someone may actually send them the money! The best thing to do is not to contact them and DO NOT WRITE to them. In all seriousness there is nothing they can do at all - have you all noticed how the payments relate to years ago? Its becuase they never existed and in any case an unsecured loan is not inforceable after 6 years so its all redundant.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, have just joined today and have been having the same problem with Debt Managers Ltd, they have been sending demanding and threatening letters addressed to my husband for the past 6 months to his elderly parents address which he has never lived. When he first started getting these letters he telephoned Debt Managers and the chap on the other end was very abusive. Nothing makes any sense as we moved abroad 6 years ago. Started getting these letters and my husbands parents have had telephone calls from them strangely since he sold his Standard Life shares last year and of course Standard Life had to send the cheque to an english address, so he used his parents address. Standard Life are in Scotland which is bit of a coincidense as so are Debt Managers Ltd.

Can anyone suggest what we should do.

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I rec'd a final notice this morning from Debt managers direct. for £178.78.

I read this site AFTER calling them.

They told me that this debt MUST be paid in full today or they would send the baliffs to my house to collect goods. I told them that i do not have £178 and could not give them what i phisically did not have and that i knew my righs, i did not have to grant bailiffs access to my home. She [Donna] would not give me bank details to set up a standing order because the debt was due in full only.

I also asked them where this debt originated and they told me that it was passed to them in 2006 and that i had paid them £30(something) in June 2007 . I asked them to be more specific about where this debt had come from before 2006 and she told me that AKTIV KAPITAL are a finance company so it would be from a store card or such like.

I HAVE NEVER HAD A STORE CARD IN MY LIFE!... I HAVE NEVER HAD FINANCE.

After interrogating me about my income -to which i informed that i had recently become unemployed (She didn't appear to believe me, wanting to know in that case how was i surviving?)- they finally told me that they would look into it but the debt was still required in full once she had done so.

She left me none the wiser and i don't know what to do now. I can't even pay it to get them off my back cause i don't have it to give them, not in full any way and they won't let me pay it in installments.

Any suggestions on how i should approach this?

Hello again,

Thought I'd come back in after so long, looks like DM & AK have been quite busy.

Well, further to my previous post of 6th Dec 2006 stating that on the 29th Nov 2006 they sent me a signed copy of the agreement, but failed to provide any further information, I have heard nothing from them since, until the 2 letters received in the last two weeks.

Seems that they're going to try again, both letters requesting money (same amount as before) as I've made "nominal payments" (these would be the £1 payments in conjunction with the CCA letters).

Although a few things have changed now..

1. I have not lived at the address they're sending letters to for the last 11 months, although this is my mothers address so I am getting the mail.
  2. The original agreement is now over the 6 year period.

So, I have ignored the last two letters.

What would be the best course of action from here? Should I continue to ignore them?

If they threaten to get a Court action or send in the baliffs, can they do this? Would they do this?

• 4 months later...

Hi eveyone, Im new to this site and need some help please.

I recieved a letter from Droyds for £99 that I owe to La redoute.

I sent of for a copy of my agreement about 2/3 months ago which the company were unable to fulfill and they took the £1 I sent of the balance!

I now have Debt management threatening me with court action.

Where do I go from here?

• 2 months later...

to anyone readin this.i had these guys on my back but told them by phone and on e mail that i was payin nothing to a p.o address and asked them for proof i owed them the money.guess what.ive just had a letter sayin they cant prove it and they were givin the debt back.i suggest you guys ask them for proof.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was really interested to find this forum as, for the past few days, I have been getting phonecalls to my house by someone called Michelle from a company called DM Ltd. It is not me, but my boyfriend that they are after. They have also been phoning him on his mobile at work, but so far he has missed all the calls. The first time that she phoned she asked to speak to my boyfriend. I told her that he was at work and asked if she wanted to leave a message, but she said she couldn't because it was a 'personal call', but they had his mobile number so would try him on that. She then asked me for our address which I refused to provide. Anyway, since then she has called a further 3 times and has become more and more aggressive towards me because I won't give her our address and I've told her that my boyfriend will not be contacting them. I have spoken to him and he can not think of any outstanding debts that he may have. He is self employed and has a website which lists our home number and his mobile, so I am assuming that they may have got the information from there.

I was wondering if people could give me some advice about what we should do. Would it be best just to leave it, or to get him to find out what it is they want? I'd really appreciate any help!

• 11 months later...

Hi, this is a one time post so I hope it helps because I wont be coming to this site again..

I used to work for debt managers ltd, it is a legitimate debt collection agency that either gets passed debts from various companies, or buys them ad takes ownership for collecting the debt. They get passed (or bought) because the original company has had no success for collecting the debt.

no matter how many times they send youthreatening letters about court action, its HIGHLY unlikely that they will..there's been about 4 instances of it happening in the past how ever many years.

If they are unsuccessful, they can pass it to dorr collectors to come to your home and ask for it. or even bayliffs if they get the court order for it, ut will hardly ever take you to court for it unless its like, over £2000 or something

as for installment payments, theyll push for full payment, then in two halves maybe even three, and then eventually offer installments if you hold your ground

bare in mind, if asking for proof of debt, they hardly ever have any, they just get passed whatever they have from the original company ie aktiv kapita. i cant remember how they check for new addresses/numbers, but it is legal....unfortunately for debtors i guess...

hope this was of use to anyone still viewing this thread.