• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Personalised goods & cooling off period

bcalchess
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an issue that needs clarification. My wife and I ordered place cards from an online retailer "Little Things Designs" for our wedding. We ordered them in plenty of time (6 weeks before the date) and even contacted the company to ensure that their holidays would not interfere with our order arriving on time. The week of the wedding the goods still had not arrived. We called, mailed etc (no response) The cards finally arrived 4 days after the wedding. Annoyed we sent the cards back at our expense (within 7 days- the cooling off period) with a letter looking for our money back. The company had the neck to say that because the cards were personalised we were not entitled to cooling off period protection and thus no refund.

My gripe is that the goods were not personalised. They were blank cards. We did not have our names, pictures, designs or any personal information added The design and colour chosen were clearly displayed as options with pictures on the companys website.

The lady that contacted us said that these cards were made to our requirements and thus personalised. How can this be. Were we supposed to know from the picture that these cards were not made yet? They looked like a stock item. Surely following this argument every online company could, if an item was out of stock at the time of ordering claim that it was produced specially for the customer and thus personalised.

Does anyone have any Ideas or opinions.

We are pretty miffed :???:

She's right about the non return of personalised items, they are exempt from returns. I guess it is down to the retailer how they approach it, but legally they are in the right there.

I'm guessing they would need some picture for illustrative purposes, but if the item was said to be personalised, I would assume that they have had to make them up as they go. Lots of places that do things like that make them to order. For instance, with moonpig, they create the cards from a massive printer once you have ordered, even if you haven't changed anything on the card, they would still be produced specifically for you. They wont hold stock generally.

As for them arriving late, that is maybe something you should be focusing on and wait for someone else more knowledgeable than me on that. I think that will be the element that gets you a refund.

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

The products are meant to arrive within a reasonable period of time. Unless it clearly stated on the site that the products will arrive within between 6-8 weeks, a reasonable time would definitely be within 28 days.

They are right as with regards to the personalization part though.

I would right them a harsh letter refusing to pay as the items were received well beyond any reasonable period of time and therefore you do not consider yourself liable for them.

If you draft the letter and post a copy here, I'll be happy to try and proof it for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Your argument should be solely based on their non delivery in time for the stated purpose - however you would need to back this up with evidence that you provided a date for the items to be delivered by, and any other reminder by you.

The fact the goods were delivered late totally wipes out their 'personalisation' claim - as what are you supposed to do... keep them for the next wedding? If they don't willingly refund, you'll need to raise a small claims action, but I don't see this being a problem if you can show that the required date was not met.

As long as you specified that the cards were for your wedding and provided them with the wedding date (better still have that in writing), then that should easily be sufficient to 'make time of the essence' to the contract.

The fact that they then failed to deliver in time constitutes a prima facie breach of contract - meaning you are not liable to pay.

The right to cancel given by the DSRs is a "change of mind" policy, which, reasonably, excludes certain items. The exception does NOT, however, apply to cancellations that are the result of breaches of contract, including terms implied by statute. In such cases, your rights are the same as they are if you purchased the item / service in a shop.

Secondly, the meaning of "personalised". Basically, it does NOT mean anything "off the shelf". So picking on of 10 designs available is not personalised. But even if they were, see above.

Thirdly, is what Buzby says. So you have three complaints against them.

1. They did not supply personalised items

2. They did not comply with the DSRs, and until they do, the right of cancellation does not expire as normal

3. They have no right to refuse the refund anyway due to 2.

I am still working on my guide to DSRs. I can't wait to get it finished because all the "official" advice I have seen so far just makes the issue so vey much complicated than need be.

Gyzmo, what is the situation with "produced to order" goods? Out of interest - as that to me is what this is?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Gyzmo, what is the situation with "produced to order" goods? Out of interest - as that to me is what this is?

Produced to order goods are goods that are personalized to the customer, for example an engraving on a watch (the watch itself would not be considered personalized till the engraving had taken place) or wedding invitations.

gyzmo is right here. Where picking out options for cards - and no text, as text would be personalizing - that isn't personalizing because the retailer can sell them to other people. The definition of personalization is turning a product that would be usable by most people to a product that would only be usable by the buyer, or making a product or service only usable for the buyer (for example: mobile phone unlocking - the code is only valid for the serial number (IMEI) of the phone that is unlocked).

The DSR's don't apply to customized/personalized goods. However, goods must be provided within a reasonable period of time, and this is basic contract law. If you specify a time within which the goods are needed and the seller agrees to that, then the fact that they are not received by that date is a breach of contract, hence you are entitled to a full refund.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

Again, it depends on the exact nature. If you have, for example, "to my squiggledums on your 98th birthday, love from your little possums and for good effect happy Valentines Day" then that is obviously personalised (apologies for the extreme nature given, but it does exemplify the point).

But what of, say, a vase that has one of 10 phrases you can selected to be etched into it? That is not personalised.

The basis of whether it is personalised is, I believe this:

Can you select the item from a catalogue etc or point to it or choose from a list of options? If the answer is YES, then it is not personalised.

In the OP's case, if she has selected a card to be in a colour out of 10 different colours available, that is not personalised. It is merely selecting an option (much like having a car with optional air conditioning).

If indeed the OP's cards had the words requested in it (such as "Jack and Jill invite the Toxteth Massive Crew to their wedding at the Legs of Man - reply or else. Hugs, J&J") (OP - I'm sorry - I'm not having a jab!) then it would be personalised.

If the words said purely "You are invited to the wedding of [blank space for name] at [venue] on [date]" then I would argue that they are not personalised.

Does that explain? I am slightly tipsy so not at my best....

Thats when you should be at your best! :D

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Lol! But I am afraid I have had too much slighty tipsy is a euphanism for totally rat assed (joint birthday - mine a couple of weeks ago and my dads in a few days! (it started off with champagne brekkies this morning....)

I will check what I said tomorrow in the cold horrid light of sobriety and attempt a better explanation if necessary!

Its fine gyzmo - it makes perfect sense (well between you and LP anyway!! ) :D

Again, it depends on the exact nature. If you have, for example, "to my squiggledums on your 98th birthday, love from your little possums and for good effect happy Valentines Day" then that is obviously personalised (apologies for the extreme nature given, but it does exemplify the point).

But what of, say, a vase that has one of 10 phrases you can selected to be etched into it? That is not personalised.

The basis of whether it is personalised is, I believe this:

Can you select the item from a catalogue etc or point to it or choose from a list of options? If the answer is YES, then it is not personalised.

In the OP's case, if she has selected a card to be in a colour out of 10 different colours available, that is not personalised. It is merely selecting an option (much like having a car with optional air conditioning).

If indeed the OP's cards had the words requested in it (such as "Jack and Jill invite the Toxteth Massive Crew to their wedding at the Legs of Man - reply or else. Hugs, J&J") (OP - I'm sorry - I'm not having a jab!) then it would be personalised.

If the words said purely "You are invited to the wedding of [blank space for name] at [venue] on [date]" then I would argue that they are not personalised.

I couldn't have put it better! :D

Just to add something else to this...

This statement:

is possibly a little simplistic. To an extent it COULD be affected by the production process. If the item was advertised as 'personalised' but the buyer chose to simply have blank spaces, chances are that the cards themselves are actually printed to order rather than printing onto pre-done blank box versions. It would be far too fiddly to make sure the allignments etc were in place. I had a stab at trying a greeting card thing and the cards were printed as and when rather than carrying a lot of stock. If the items are advertised as 'personalised' then very few people would want to have the 'blank' versions (you could go to a high street and get them for a fraction of the price if you just wanted to fill in blanks).

I do agree that the fact the items were delivered late breaches any contract etc, and that a refund is very much needed. However, chances are that the seller cannot re-sell the 'blank' versions as nobody else is likely to want blank versions.

Taking on -

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

Just to add something else to this...

This statement:

Quote:

is possibly a little simplistic. To an extent it COULD be affected by the production process. If the item was advertised as 'personalised' but the buyer chose to simply have blank spaces, chances are that the cards themselves are actually printed to order rather than printing onto pre-done blank box versions. It would be far too fiddly to make sure the allignments etc were in place. I had a stab at trying a greeting card thing and the cards were printed as and when rather than carrying a lot of stock. If the items are advertised as 'personalised' then very few people would want to have the 'blank' versions (you could go to a high street and get them for a fraction of the price if you just wanted to fill in blanks).

Technically you're right, but that would be if somebody deliberately asked for it to have that written with the blanks and as you say:

(you could go to a high street and get them for a fraction of the price if you just wanted to fill in blanks)

So, I very much doubt anybody in their right mind would do something like that unless they were ordering them in bulk to make a business out of it, in which case the price would be much cheaper.

However, I think we've clarified the point sufficiently and as you correctly write:

I do agree that the fact the items were delivered late breaches any contract etc, and that a refund is very much needed.

However I disagree, in this event, with:

However, chances are that the seller cannot re-sell the 'blank' versions as nobody else is likely to want blank versions.

I disagree with this statement for two reasons;

1. The OP did want the blank versions, otherwise the OP wouldn't have ordered them, and I'm sure somebody else might want the cards, if they were nice enough and could have anything written in them.

2. The seller could always put the text in those cards. All that's been put on them is the design, so somebody else who orders that design with text could have only the text put on the cards, instead of having the designs re-printed.

I would welcome the OP's return so that we can hear how the OP is getting along with complaining to the company. I am happy to help with preparing and proofing a letter to the company responsible demanding a full refund [and the consequential loss of returning the cards at the OP's cost] and if necessary assisting the OP in preparing court proceedings.

I would also be interested in knowing which company is responsible for this breach of contract - company name would be nice [though not website link as this would be a commercial link and against CAG rules].

The ability to resell an item is irrelevant to returns. The regulations do not mention anything about being resales, and the OFT's guidance specifically states that it is not a valid excuse for refusing to accept a return.

The reason for the excluded items (newspapers, perishables etc) is due to the nature of the items. It would be perfectly ridiculous to allow a cancellation on lottery tickets for example, seeing as any ticket that does not win would be sent back for a refund. Basically, the items excluded can be said to fulfil their own purpose. A newspaper, for example, will have fulfilled its purpose once read. This differs to, e.g, clothing which though it may serve it's purpose once worn, it does not become useless in that it can still be worn numerous times. Of course, you could read a newspaper over and over, but that is getting silly.

**addition**

Just to add, refusing returns for hygiene reasons, on items such as underwear, earrings etc is also prohibited - see above. A company can apparently put in a requirement of "reasonable care" which, if not met, can lead to a lawful refusal to accept the goods back. I'm still uncomfy with this and looking into it further. Once I get my guide going, I should hopefully have that info.

Edited by gyzmo
additional

Sober now gizmo?:)

The ability to resell an item is irrelevant to returns. The regulations do not mention anything about being resales, and the OFT's guidance specifically states that it is not a valid excuse for refusing to accept a return.

The reason for the excluded items (newspapers, perishables etc) is due to the nature of the items. It would be perfectly ridiculous to allow a cancellation on lottery tickets for example, seeing as any ticket that does not win would be sent back for a refund. Basically, the items excluded can be said to fulfil their own purpose. A newspaper, for example, will have fulfilled its purpose once read. This differs to, e.g, clothing which though it may serve it's purpose once worn, it does not become useless in that it can still be worn numerous times. Of course, you could read a newspaper over and over, but that is getting silly.

Note: I was only answering the point of 'thekat1979'. I did not say it was relevant.

Sober now gizmo?:)

lol! Yep! Showered, coffeed, fed, paracetamolled. I'm good!

Not sure whether I prefer you sober or like you were last night! Rather enjoyed your posts last night! :D

It will very much depend on the production process as to whether those items are able to be re-sold by the seller. It may not be possible to just 'add on' the required text, dependent upon their way of producing the cards. I do think I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate there though!

My main point was purely that in those contexts, chances are they are printed to order, not stock held.

Doesn't excuse the rest of what happened in the slightest. Definitely get money back.

Taking on -

Your cause of action is that the goods arrived late. Their defence will be that the goods did not arrive late and even if they did arrive late, that doesent matter because the goods were personalised. They may have two or three more reasons why they can defend.

I believe they will fail at the first step. But, you will still need to argue the second (third, fourth, etc) step (if they use it as part of their defence). So all the points are important.

They will fail though on breach of contract for late delivery.

I lost a case once where I sold an item from my shop on Christmas Eve. Customer said his wife might want the other colour which was not in stock. I said she could change it after Christmas, it would take about two weeks but I would not refund. He agreed and bought the item. After Christmas, he came back wanting a refund but eventually agreeing the exchange. I said it would take two weeks from 3rd Jan (I wouldnt be able to find out for sure until the manufacturers got back). That meant 3 weeks overall. After two weeks he issued the summons for a refund.

The judge said that even though the contract was not specified that time was of the essence, he nevertheless introduced it. The item was clearly a Christmas present, and three weeks late was too late. Even though I had no duty to refund or even exchange the goods, apart from the fact that I introduced the exchange as a choice to the buyer. Refund was never a choice. I still lost and customer got his refund. I had to keep the item that was made to order in his preferred colour.

Its WAR