consumer insurances

colin royle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have taken out policy for last 2-3 years water leakage from street to stop tap, stop tap is now leaking, they have sent someone out but only packed the tap, next day still leaking, complained as wanted now a new tap, but they will only again pack the tap as they say its lead piping and they dont touch lead piping, its like watching rogue traders, the policy isuseless as most houses built before 1970 have lead piping. its a Homeserve policy on behalf of United Utilities:(

There are serious Health & Safety issues with lead piping. Your policy will cover the maintenance of your installation, but they cannot modify any installation that uses lead. This would be up to the householder to arrange for the pipe to be replaced with a modern equivalent.

My house was built in 1959 and was copper throughout - I don't think lead piping had been allowed since the early 1950's, so I don't think your 1970 time-frame is realistic.

For insurance-type policies, it is always up to the owner to ensure they have equipment that is at least serviceable. An ancient central heating boiler (for example) will reach the end of its useful life and even if you have a maintenance policy, the firm cannot repair it if it is life expired - and would be expected to change or upgrade it at his own expense in order for the maintenance contract to continue.

For your own health and safety, I would urge you to remove all the lead from your property, as the wanter main most likely has already been upgraded to plastic, leaving your lead pipe the only 'weak' link in the chain.