• Tweets

• its a 12mts contract else why would it say till 2021 and first month..   simply states they don't charge a joining fee clever marketing ploy as people don't read things. it IS a monthly payment, that runs for 12mts.   but anyway there is stuff and all anyone can do to you.   dx        
    • Hi Slick,   Amazingly fast reply, thank you!   According to the reference on the payment it says "ON 24 SEP BCC" and the payment cleared 25th September at 11:26   I was simply told to sign up on the website by a staff member in the gym, no further information was given to me by them. The website stated that it's a rolling monthly membership that could be cancelled at any time "No contract membership JUST £14.99 a month, until 2021*" As far as I am aware there was absolutely no minimum membership length, unless there's some small print I've missed somewhere. But Harlands haven't mentioned anything about me being obliged to pay for a certain length of time so... I've attached a picture to this post of what I signed up for.   Also, I'm not sure if this has any relevance at all but the building is plastered with £9.99/month signs EVERYWHERE yet it costs £14.99 when you go on the website. False advertising 🙄 Could perhaps use that as leverage in a letter if it comes to it, I dunno? 😂
    • I look forward to hearing from a member of the team 
    • Hi Selrahc and welcome to CAG   Please be in no hurry to contact X4Less, Harlands or CRS - they can do nothing for now.   Before you do anything, we need more info. Please confirm :-   1. Approx date you joined.   2. Were you told it was a rolling monthly m/ship by a staff member, or a longer minimum contract.   You have no need to reply to any demand from Harlands/CRS so ignore them for now.
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2606 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is my main email address so I really dont want to loose it. I will be on my guard from now on not to open anything I dont recognise (curiosity always kills the cat!!)

Just for anyone else who receives anything but is dying to read it, I do have a tip. If you can receive mail using Outlook or Express, you can alter the settings so it does not automatically mark the email as read. This is a hot tip from my PA days and had access to Directors Emails. Some made very interesting reading!!!

There is no such thing as a 0% credit card....... someone out there is paying for it, and for once its not going to be me.:razz:

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a free program called Mailwasher which you can use to read emails without opening them, if you want them you can download or delete/mark as trash which will automatically ignore them, or if you really want 'bounce' them back to the poster as undelivered.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

hi all

tonights mail:

Notice of potential Court Order on your property

Your credit card balance of £******** remains unpaid and we are now considering all of our options to recover these funds.

Our initial investigatins indicate that you are a homeowner. A such, we may persue litigation action and seek a County Court Judgement that may result in a Charging Order bein placed on your property..........

usual stuff, please ring your dedicated Account manger etc.

Firstly, has anyone else received this letter? Can they really do this? What are their chances of successs? Should I respond?

Please advise anyone...

There is no such thing as a 0% credit card....... someone out there is paying for it, and for once its not going to be me.:razz:

Hi Capricorn, yes I have had a few of those letters from different creditors. Note they say "may pursue litigation", just hot air as usual, if they have not got the agreement they are stuffed.

I would send a letter back asking for a copy of the agreement via CPR 31.16 and send recorded delivery as they are in effect threatening court action (unless you have already done that).

Thanks Reader

Hi Capricorn 1601, I've seen other posts saying people have received the same threat. Generally it does seem to be hot air as Reader says, but I would respond as Reader has said.

I often get the impression since openning this can of worms, that MBNA have a day for postcards, a day for texts, a day for threatening CCJ's, etc. I am guessing that by doing this they are working on similar statistics for junk mail where a small percentage cave in and pay them some money. It's good we know better!

Financial chaos - 6 months unable to work from February 2009 after a major car accident, being paid in Sterling but having to pay bills in Euros with an awful exchange rate, financial turmoil ('THE CRISES') causing my earnings to halve and punitive interest rates from credit card sharks!

Credit Cards

Capital One - £11500 Account terminated, in dispute Last contact 03/10

RBS Mint - £10000 Account terminated, in dispute Last contact 11/10

MBNA - £13000 Ongoing dispute Last contact 12/10

MBNA - £6000 Ongoing dispute Last contact 02/10

M&S - £10000 Terminated twice, in dispute Last contact 07/10

Barclaycard - £3000 Repaying

Lloyds TSB - £3000 Repaying

Bank of Scotland - £9000 Repaying

Loan

MBNA - £20000 Terminated and sold on Last contact 06/10

hi all

tonights mail:

Your credit card balance of £******** remains unpaid and we are now considering all of our options to recover these funds.

Our initial investigatins indicate that you are a homeowner. A such, we may persue litigation action and seek a County Court Judgement that may result in a Charging Order bein placed on your property..........

The OFT look unkindly on those letters. Complain to OFT, TS and your MP.

Firstly, has anyone else received this letter? Can they really do this? What are their chances of successs? Should I respond?

They will need a court order first. If your response is robust enough, they will think twice.

Please advise anyone...

Vint
hi all

tonights mail:

Please advise anyone...

I have not had chance to read the whole thread- i presume that you have not had a CCA and perhaps a faulty DN/TN either way personally i would not use 31.16 but instead reply along these line

Dear Sirs

i have received your communication of XXXXX Inst.

I think perhaps that you might be putting the cart before the horse.

In order to obtain a charging order you would need to show a court that i was failing to abide by the terms of a county court judgement

in order to do so you would first need to have a county court judgement against me

in order to obtain a county court judgment you would have to win a (defended) court action against me

In order to win a court action against me you would need to prove that I failed to rectify an alleged default on an alleged properly executed credit card agreement which entitled you to claim the benefits of s87

in order to show that i failed to rectify an alleged default on a properly executed credit card agreement you would need to show that such an agreement was enforceable

In order to show that such an agreement was enforceable you would need to bring a court action against me

in order to bring a court action against me you would need to show a cause of action

In order to show a cause of action you would need to produce to the court and copy to me the original alleged credit card agreement

Yours sincerely

Hi Dicky

I have had the cca took five months to come though and is unenforceable, no t&c's and clearly from the darkest archieve of micro fiche. I have had no DN as yet, keep expecting one, but all I receive are postcards telling me someone is going to call, offering one off discounts and the occasional letter. MBNA cant call as they dont have my number, the only one they did acquire, although not lawfully (not given by myself) is my old work mobile number. I managed to dodge the calls from that for a month, either not answering or telling them they had the wrong number. Alas, in June I changed jobs and therefore left that phone behind so they cannot harrass me by phone any longer.

I have not had chance to read the whole thread- i presume that you have not had a CCA and perhaps a faulty DN/TN either way personally i would not use 31.16 but instead reply along these line

Dear Sirs

i have received your communication of XXXXX Inst.

I think perhaps that you might be putting the cart before the horse.

In order to obtain a charging order you would need to show a court that i was failing to abide by the terms of a county court judgement

in order to do so you would first need to have a county court judgement against me

in order to obtain a county court judgment you would have to win a (defended) court action against me

In order to win a court action against me you would need to prove that I failed to rectify an alleged default on an alleged properly executed credit card agreement which entitled you to claim the benefits of s87

in order to show that i failed to rectify an alleged default on a properly executed credit card agreement you would need to show that such an agreement was enforceable

In order to show that such an agreement was enforceable you would need to bring a court action against me

in order to bring a court action against me you would need to show a cause of action

In order to show a cause of action you would need to produce to the court and copy to me the original alleged credit card agreement

Yours sincerely

At least it tells them the facts in language they may just understand.

Maybe the last line should be, Do you feel lucky, well do you!

Hi Dicky

I have had the cca took five months to come though and is unenforceable, no t&c's and clearly from the darkest archieve of micro fiche. I have had no DN as yet, keep expecting one, but all I receive are postcards telling me someone is going to call, offering one off discounts and the occasional letter. MBNA cant call as they dont have my number, the only one they did acquire, although not lawfully (not given by myself) is my old work mobile number. I managed to dodge the calls from that for a month, either not answering or telling them they had the wrong number. Alas, in June I changed jobs and therefore left that phone behind so they cannot harrass me by phone any longer.

then just alter the last line and put "enforceable" in front of "agreement" instead of "original alleged"

Anyone seen this? does Bank of America own MBNA?

"America's biggest bank issued a warning shot over the state of the world economy today when it revealed a quarterly loss of $1bn (£612m) on the back of large credit card losses."

Yes it does, and they lost $1bn on credit card business alone:D.

Financial chaos - 6 months unable to work from February 2009 after a major car accident, being paid in Sterling but having to pay bills in Euros with an awful exchange rate, financial turmoil ('THE CRISES') causing my earnings to halve and punitive interest rates from credit card sharks!

Credit Cards

Loan

Defaults on loans by cash-strapped customers and delinquent credit card debts sent Bank of America tumbling to a $1bn (£612m) quarterly loss, offering a blunt reminder that finance on the US high street is lagging behind a revival in prosperity on Wall Street.

The North Carolina-based bank, which is the largest in the US by deposits, fell into the red for the three months to September after two preceding profitable quarters. Its performance was worse than analysts had anticipated.

For outgoing chief executive Ken Lewis, the numbers were a setback. Under intense criticism over his leadership of the bank, Lewis recently announced that he will step down at the end of the year and the Obama administration's "pay tsar" has told him to give up $1m in salary and bonuses.

"Obviously, credit costs remain high, and that is our major financial challenge going forward," said Lewis. "However, we are heartened by early positive signs, such as the levelling of delinquencies among our credit card customers."

Much of the shortfall arose at Bank of America's 6,000 high-street branches. The bank's losses for failed loans came to almost $10bn and it added a further $11.7bn to its reserves to cover anticipated future defaults.

Bank of America's credit card business lost $1.04bn, while its home loans and insurance division lost $1.63bn

had another email from MBNA today, they keep on trying to get me to read them, but thanks to mailwasher, bounced straight back... thank Cerbusalert for that hot tip.

Hi Capricon1601,

Have you seen this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-knowledge/227141-important-new-loan-regulations.html.

Not saying it applies to you, but for anyone struggling with loan payments it could be useful.

Exchange

Credit Cards

Loan