Bill from Wescot on behalf on British Gas!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I have just recieved a demand from Wescot for £1754 for Electricity (I think!) supplied by British Gas Trading Ltd, used at a previous address.

I moved into my new property in July last year, this bill is for my previous address.

From approx July 2007 until I moved in 2008, my electricty and gas was supplied by Npower, not British gas.

During my time in this address, I cant actually recall my meter ever being read on a single occasion.

While I dont dispute that there may be a possibility that I do owe them money, I cant believe for a minute the amount is this high.

My previous address was a single bedroomed small cottage with no heating (coal fire).

The letter doesnt say if its for gas or electric, Im assuming the latter as the only gas used in the property was for a single hob! I was paying the gas on a budget account of £2 per month - so that lets you know how little gas was being used. There are no dates or indications of how they came to this figure?

I am going to write to Wescot for clarification of the amount, and a breakdown of the total. Any tips on how I should approach this, as I dont want to get myself into a debt I cant afford, especially if the amount being demanded is wrong in the first instance?

thanks for your time!

JP

Hi,

I would be contacting Npower to clarify they handled your utilities and ask them to provide the statements if you haven't got any.

Send wescot this:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

It is up to them to prove you owe this and not the other way round.

Send it recorded delivery as some of these companies will deny ever receiving it if you send it "normal post"

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Don't sign your name, just print it.

Occasionally some nefarious DCA will "lift" a signature and copy it onto an application form or agreement to show you are with a different company.

Now I would never accuse Wescot of doing this (your honour :)) but better safe than sorry.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

PS, when you say dont sign it, do you mean omitt my name altogether, or just dont physically sign it?

Just a quick note, Wescott will not provide you with any breakdown of the bill etc etc. You unfortunately need to speak to the supplier concerned for this. Wescott will tell you the same thing. That letter by Fox is spot on though and Ive nicked it (sorry fox):p

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!

Just a quick note, Wescott will not provide you with any breakdown of the bill etc etc. You unfortunately need to speak to the supplier concerned for this. Wescott will tell you the same thing. That letter by Fox is spot on though and Ive nicked it (sorry fox):p

Hey don't worry, I nicked it from someone else :D

Just one other thing, the OP was not with BG(op was with Npower) which is the debt wescot are chasing so they need to prove it actually exists.

• 3 weeks later...
Just one other thing, the OP was not with BG(op was with Npower) which is the debt wescot are chasing so they need to prove it actually exists.

Just to clarify, it is British Gas that are chasing this, via Wescot!

I have recieved a reply from Wescot, following the letter I sent as above.

It simply says:

"In order for us to continue with your enquiry, it would be most helpful if you could confirm the last three addresses that you have resided at together with the dates you vacated.

We look forward to hearing from you within the next seven days"

The letter is dated the 13th, although I only recieved this morning, 17th.

I dont understand why they are asking this as response to my initial letter.

Firstly, they know my current address as they have sent the letters here, and they know the address of the disputed bill. So why are they asking for address prior to that? They have no bearing whatsoever on the disputed bill!

Secondly, the response to my initial letter doesnt answer any of the questions originally asked?

Should I ignore their request for further info? Bearing in mind it would appear I only have 3 days left to respond.

Thanks once again for your time.

Edited by Jambo Piper
Typo!

Ignore i say but up to u they know the rules.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just to clarify, it is British Gas that are chasing this, via Wescot!

I have recieved a reply from Wescot, following the letter I sent as above.

It simply says:

"In order for us to continue with your enquiry, it would be most helpful if you could confirm the last three addresses that you have resided at together with the dates you vacated.

We look forward to hearing from you within the next seven days"

The letter is dated the 13th, although I only recieved this morning, 17th.

I dont understand why they are asking this as response to my initial letter.

Firstly, they know my current address as they have sent the letters here, and they know the address of the disputed bill. So why are they asking for address prior to that? They have no bearing whatsoever on the disputed bill!

Secondly, the response to my initial letter doesnt answer any of the questions originally asked?

Should I ignore their request for further info? Bearing in mind it would appear I only have 3 days left to respond.

Thanks once again for your time.

Its late-SORRY!!

The letter is trying to clarify the previous addresses as it appears they do know the period of the debt and are looking for the person responsible for that. For example, if the debt related to someone before you or even your previous addresses (just covering options)

By providing the information they could investigate and check if it does relate to you and therefore have the right to chase you for this. Not aware if you didnt provide info as to whether they would withhold correspondence here.

So, the debt may be yours, for example, it would be down to you to get the breakdown from British Gas and also although you are concerned your meter wasnt read, meters only have to be read once every two years so if you havent any back up reads this is going to be a bloody nightmare. (if the bill was an est)

In your time there, did you receive bills from Npower for your usage eg, final bill etc. If you did then contact them and ask for the copies to be issued to you showing they were paid. This will assist in proving you were paying for what you used in that house.

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!