Studing Law in Debt Collection Area

Bazza66

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Might be posted in the wrong area but if I wanted to study law (part time) and in the area of debt collection what category would it come under? Or if anyone knows of a course that would be more helpful.

I am guessing it comes under consumer law?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area.

Thanks in advance

How to Qualify - Studying Law

The quickest and most common route to qualification is by means of a qualifying law degree and a list of institutions offering them can be found on this site. It does not matter which subjects you take at GCSE level (although employers will look for communication and numeracy skills), but you will need a good academic record, as competition for places is strong. You should aim for three 'A' Levels or equivalent, in any academic subject of your choice, and you should obtain good grades.

If you decide to take a degree in a subject other than law, you will have to complete a one-year full-time (or two years part-time) course leading to the Common Professional Examination or the post-graduate Diploma in Law. These courses are offered at a number of institutions, but you should aim for a good class of degree, as competition for places is intense. A good lower second-class degree (IIii) is required by most firms and many demand an upper second or first class degree. The course will give you the basic grounding in law, which you need to qualify as a solicitor.

After successful completion of the law degree, or CPE, or Diploma in Law, you will have to undertake the Legal Practice Course, which is the professional training for solicitors. This course takes one academic year, or two years if studying law part-time. Again, competition for a place on the LPC is very tough. Good academic grades are essential. The course teaches the practical application of the law to the needs of clients, and is offered by a number of different colleges and universities.

Having successfully completed the Legal Practice Course, you will enter a two-year training contract with a firm of solicitors or other approved organisation (such as a local authority or the Crown Prosecution Service), gaining practical experience in a variety of areas of law. At this stage, you will be paid a salary and will be a trainee solicitor. It is important that you arrange a training contract as early as possible. You can begin to apply in the final year of your degree.

Studying law in the UK

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Depends on whether you are looking to actually go into practice or not. if not then an LLM might be doable. DMU in leicester do a distance learning version which offers consumer law modules. You don;t need to be a lawyer to apply but I would perhaps recommend at least knocking an a-level in law on the head first or you will find it challenging. You will need a degree first though or lots of 'life' experience.

If you are looking to practice, then you need an llb or a degree and then do a conversion course.

You'll then move on to the lpc (to be a solicitor) or bvc (barrister).

You'll then need to secure a training contract. Very hard.

You'll then need to do the psc whilst training.

Then you'll qualify!

So -

llb - part time - 4 years

lpc - part time - 2 years

training contract and psc - 2 years.

Total cost - very very scary.

you will be looking for courses that offer modules in consumer law and probably company and commercial law. Civil Lit will be handy.

You'll need contract but that is core to all. Be wary of some LPCs that are magic circle orientated.

Feel free to PM me for more info if you want - I've experienced most of it, LLB, LPC, LLM.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for delay - I thought this forum would email me to say there was an update to the thread but I never get them. Anyway thats something else.

Thanks for the advice - have looked around and its does seem very expensive. I dont wish to progress and make a career out of it (I already have an established career in IT). I just wanted to get a grounding in Law as this could prove useful in life generally (and I love learning new things).

I have looked around and will probably just go for a GCSE in Law so I can get the basics and will give me a general idea if I like it or not plus the cost of a GCSE course is about the £200-£300 mark.

Or would it be better to head straight for 'A' level since these courses do not require previous Law knowledge either.

'A' level law is a good place to start

Core Subjects for LLB are Contract, criminal, tort, administrative and equity and trusts

As for debt law:

Administrative Law, contract, consumer credit, evidence, criminal law, tort law

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action